Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: the aphex twin destroyed my brain

I dunno. SAW 1 is an epic record, but it is less of a leap than On Land. It feathers already explored terrain with new emotional resonance, whereas the Eno explores new territory of memory, geography & nostalgia in a startlingly new way.

the emotional resonance is the hard part. try it.

i can write reasonably well but im much prouder when people come and tell me you write a poem for my husband in hospital dying of cancer and it done a lot for us. or your poem made me cry and we framed it. becasue that's when you know you done something much trickier and cleverer than an aesthetic breakthrough. youre matching frequencies essentially. harmonic resonance

4. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Im not gonna argue against SAW 1 because I love it dearly, but there's more to On Land than aesthetics. It has an emotional component, its just much more sophisticated.

it's not more sophisticated. it's there but your mistake is thinking it's more sophisticated.

hitting a nail on the head is the hardest thing. it's why i always contrast r&b with indie.

i love on land. its one of the best records. im fully aware of what it does. but it's in no way more sophisticated than volume 1. volume 1 is raiding the akashic archives.

I think its more sophisticated in terms of the emotional terrain it attempts to explore. Nostalgia is a less elemental phenomenon than melancholy or bliss.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    I think its more sophisticated in terms of the emotional terrain it attempts to explore. Nostalgia is a less elemental phenomenon than melancholy or bliss.
    Does Burial fail for you on this level too, since his music is very consciously about nostalgia and is (as Adam Curtis argues) Romantic? I know you think his beats are shit, presumably the emotion is too plain and - in a sense - ostentatious for your taste?

EDIT: I've just realised droid wrote this and he's actually downgrading nostalgia as compared to melancholy/bliss. D'oh!

Speaking of Eno and Burial, I never spotted that connection at the time because I'd not heard Eno - but now I hear it, and wiki tells me Burial sampled Eno on 'Forgive'

Im not downgrading it! Im just saying its more complex, a portmanteau of emotions.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    Speaking of Eno and Burial, I never spotted that connection at the time because I'd not heard Eno - but now I hear it, and wiki tells me Burial sampled Eno on 'Forgive'

He sampled Eno's greatest hit AND Aphex on that tune.

https://www.whosampled.com/Burial/Forgive/

Ahhh

I suppose Aphex must have been one of the suspects in the 'Who is Burial?' speculations. It would have been just like him, only that it's so po-faced.

Source Direct sampled Aphex too, 0:28 on Stonekiller.