padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
incidentally speaking of LFO this has always been maybe my favorite house is a feeling thing, RIP Mark Bell.

also that track where they looped up the ultimate Chicago diva Liz Torres.

granted it don't hold a candle to the original but not much does. still big points for taste.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
and one more thing, a recentish release of early 90s pioneering Estonian (yes) techno that has to me that same kind of timeless imagine the future vibe

Luke Vibert was part of this Cornish axis. Cruelly overlooked. One summer, 21 years ago, I had the drum'n'bass for papa LP on repeat while struggling to make homebrew DMT, an internet recipe using phalaris arundinacea, drain cleaner and petrol.

Last edited:

luka

I ADMIT I DONT KNOW NOTHING ABOUT BLACK DOGS, NOT MY ERA, BUT SEEING MATT ACT LIKE THIS IS FILLING ME WITH JOY AND MAKES ME SUPPORT EVERY BLACK DOGS IN THE WORLD IMPLICITLY

droid

Yes, all in favour of Matt's Black Dog binge.

I wasn't even thinking of the earlier work, which deservedly sits in with LFO, NOW, B12, Degiorgio, Carl Craig, Gerald etc. as precursors to UK electronica and a direct antecedent of the techno end of chill out typified on labels like Rising High and GPR.

However - I think Spanners, bits of Bytes, music for adverts, and the generally more sample based stuff (later extended via Ed and Andy's work in Plaid) hasn't stood up so well to the test of time.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I ADMIT I DONT KNOW NOTHING ABOUT BLACK DOGS, NOT MY ERA, BUT SEEING MATT ACT LIKE THIS IS FILLING ME WITH JOY AND MAKES ME SUPPORT EVERY BLACK DOGS IN THE WORLD IMPLICITLY

u need to get bytes, that rarity of a techno full length actually working. cheesy bits notwithstanding. adds to its English folksy charm. go on lads.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
railway concourse transposed to the mythic dimension. it's a very Romantic record. the liminal spaces it maps out. to describe them in as much detail and with as much objectivity and surety of purpose means he had to have been really in there. with the time and presence of mind to take notes. it's an amazing achievement.

This is the sort of music criticism (although I'm sure luka wouldn't use that term) I really value, because it alters the way I think about the music, a way I've inherited from reading about IDM and Aphex - both IDM and Aphex being very brainy, very nerdy, very irreverant, with emotion disdained. It alters that way of thinking because it chimes in with how I feel about Ambient Works.

I think this applies to a lot of ambient music - the way its packaged is often very conceptual and you feel like you need a PHD to listen to it, but really it's sort of about removing a lot of technical apparatus in order to tap directly into a feeling. There are some feelings that you can only really trigger with musical structure (a simple example being a crescendo) but equally there are others you can only tap into without - an obvious - structure.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It actually brings up an interesting idea for me, which is that nerdy IDM types might need to express emotion in a certain way, swathed in irony and playfulness, because they find outright emotion embarassing...

Hence all these titles like 'dogdicksuck2320.121.21'

luka

well obviously. i keep trying to teach woops! my work colleague this. i keep telling him we're doing r&b not indie but he is an inveterate indie kid. he cant face emotion head on. always trying to wriggle away, squirm out of it.

droid

Might the problem not be that the emotions are so deeply felt that they can be expressed only through music?

luka

if i thought it was impossible to express emotions in words i wouldnt write.
the stumbling block for most people is they havent learnt to read. they#
think language can be reduced to meaning. a clean signal, a pith, and the
rest is noise.

droid

I mean in terms of the musicians. Electronica artists, and by extension fans are producing and consuming music with an excess of emotional content. Given the difficulties in expressing these sentiments in words I dont think its unusual that this might be occluded by irony or playfulness. Makes a lot of sense in fact.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I've written and deleted about five things here

But suffice it to say that I don't think emotion gets talked about enough with music, perhaps because - as droid says - it's very hard to express in words. Also, it seems too personal - what reviewer would write a glowing review of a song because they fell in love with someone and it soundtracked that? Seems too petty, too personal. Instead you describe the historical narrative, the visual images vaguely evoked by the sounds...

How often do you read about the emotional content of a techno tune, e.g.? Is the fact that you don't evidence that that sort of music is purely functional, and isn't about emotions? Can music ever be emotionless?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Music can 'create' emotions in the listener that can't be described or felt any other way - like drugs. I've felt things when on cocktails of drugs that I couldn't possibly describe and which felt totally unlike anything I'd ever felt before.

But saying that I like music that really goes for the primary colour emotions too