Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: the aphex twin destroyed my brain

I always liked that he appears to just go about his life, seemingly not caught up in the music industry game or "stardom" (despite the fanboy worship): hardly ever does interviews or tours or puts out records, etc.

one of my fav tales (perhaps even true!) was his remix of indie band the lemonheads...

“I admit that sometimes I don’t put any work into remixing at all.” From a man who flippantly named a collection of remixes 26 Mixes For Cash, the statement isn’t surprising. What is surprising is the extremes to which James would (allegedly) take this operating principle.

As legend holds, he was commissioned to remix alt-rockers The Lemonheads, but when the courier came for the tape, he had nothing to turn in; he either didn’t listen to the original or “couldn’t be bothered to do their track ’cause it was so shit.” Instead, he grabbed an old track, handed it over, and was paid four grand for his work. “Strangely, they never released it,” he told Loaded (which makes confirming this one particularly difficult). “They should’ve been honoured, I reckon. It would have sounded better than any rubbish song they wrote.”

http://www.factmag.com/2017/04/14/fu...ins-mythology/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Leo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by firefinga View Post
    i was working at the production company when they put that together. it's by the director gerard de thame who i used to work for a lot. i remember playing gerard renegade legion's "torsion" - but he didn't bite... pity!

another director who used richard who i also worked with was a guy called adrian moat. that advert with the murder that "couldn't possibly have taken place" (but actually because the car was so fast the killer was able to put his alibi in order) - set in the south of france - i was on the shoot for that. that's got something from selected ambient works on it.

adrian moat used richard for another one too. modelled on that bond film where he's put in that accelerometer and oddjob turns the speed up to full.

i must say i came round to the aphex twin a bit later. at the beginning i thought it was strictly for students. the black dog - that's what it was all about really.
    Last edited by Matthew; 13-07-2018 at 02:36 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Matthew For This Useful Post:

Spanners was a big LP in the day, but I fear time hasnt been too kind to it. Plaid too.

How much did 'phex get paid for those adverts, Woebot?

I demand the scurrilous truth

Good Radio 4 documentary, whoever put it up.

When did John Doran become the Overlord of music interviews? Seems like he's everywhere. Don't mind the guy mind, great taste in music (his now defunct column on Middle Eastern and North African music was superb), slightly cringeworthy sucking up to Lydon and Mark E Smith in his youtube series though (can't criticise too much - must be difficult not to be overly ingratiating in that kind of series)

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    I always liked that he appears to just go about his life, seemingly not caught up in the music industry game or "stardom" (despite the fanboy worship): hardly ever does interviews or tours or puts out records, etc.

one of my fav tales (perhaps even true!) was his remix of indie band the lemonheads...

http://www.factmag.com/2017/04/14/fu...ins-mythology/
    Haha, that is fucking brilliant!

But who ever thought AFX remixing the sodding Lemonheads would be a good idea?
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    someone at Atlantic records looking to add some hipster cache in order to salvage crackhead evan dando's career, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    I was interested by Doran's speculations re: Aphex as Cornish myth-spinner.
    There's a pretty good Quietus article from a couple of years ago that deals with the Cornish aspect of his music - http://thequietus.com/articles/20908...rnwall-cornish

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Haha, that is fucking brilliant!

"Shame about Ray" is better than anything on either SAW album so you're right, it was a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    How much did 'phex get paid for those adverts, Woebot?

I demand the scurrilous truth
    i wish i knew! it was all very unmediated if i remember. cash in hand style - not big agents/negotiations. [shrugs]

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    Spanners was a big LP in the day, but I fear time hasnt been too kind to it. Plaid too.
    it's all about the early EPs droid. though actually, to be frank, re:spanners i'm not really sure i understand what you mean. though one man's cheese etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    it's all about the early EPs droid
    virtual right the way through to cost II

https://www.discogs.com/artist/473-The-Black-Dog

masterpieces.

a whole half decade before spanners.

not forgetting this beauty

OR for that matter this [also] masterpiece - of a piece with the early EPs

Last edited by Matthew; 15-07-2018 at 11:07 AM.