luka

the footstep sounds makes me think of a sort of white marble environment, a huge dome, maybe, hushed voices

railway concourse transposed to the mythic dimension. it's a very Romantic record. the liminal spaces it maps out. to describe them in as much detail and with as much objectivity and surety of purpose means he had to have been really in there. with the time and presence of mind to take notes. it's an amazing achievement.

luka

thats not emerald tablets purloined from the akashic library tho is it. its just music. any cunt could of done it.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
railway concourse transposed to the mythic dimension.

Funny you should say this cos I was picturing something akin to the 'Harry Potter' films version of limbo (kings cross station made spectral)

latest

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The most peculiarly dated bit on that album is the 'We are the music makers' sample but perhaps with luka's romantic reading of the album that fits in perfectly...

You're right, it is romantic, and (to risk pretension) sublime in the romantic sense of being somehow beyond comprehension, beyond reach. Eno's 'On Land' is sublime in the REALLY proper romantic sense of being slightly terrifying. Beyond human.

droid

Luka will soon experience Aphex music in the mystical hinterland of its natural environment.

luka

The most peculiarly dated bit on that album is the 'We are the music makers' sample but perhaps with luka's romantic reading of the album that fits in perfectly...

You're right, it is romantic, and (to risk pretension) sublime in the romantic sense of being somehow beyond comprehension, beyond reach. Eno's 'On Land' is sublime in the REALLY proper romantic sense of being slightly terrifying. Beyond human.

ambient 1 is a better and braver album than on land and i love on land.

luka

its mapping out those regions where bliss is always on the brink of dissolving into melancholy. which is a comedown experience. the melancholy is blissful and the bliss is melancholic. its a very specific zone of human experience.

droid

I dunno. SAW 1 is an epic record, but it is less of a leap than On Land. It feathers already explored terrain with new emotional resonance, whereas the Eno explores new territory of memory, geography & nostalgia in a startlingly new way.

luka

i can write reasonably well but im much prouder when people come and tell me you write a poem for my husband in hospital dying of cancer and it done a lot for us. or your poem made me cry and we framed it. becasue that's when you know you done something much trickier and cleverer than an aesthetic breakthrough. youre matching frequencies essentially. harmonic resonance

droid

Im not gonna argue against SAW 1 because I love it dearly, but there's more to On Land than aesthetics. It has an emotional component, its just much more sophisticated.

luka

it's not more sophisticated. it's there but your mistake is thinking it's more sophisticated.

luka

hitting a nail on the head is the hardest thing. it's why i always contrast r&b with indie.

luka

i love on land. its one of the best records. im fully aware of what it does. but it's in no way more sophisticated than volume 1. volume 1 is raiding the akashic archives.

droid

I think its more sophisticated in terms of the emotional terrain it attempts to explore. Nostalgia is a less elemental phenomenon than melancholy or bliss.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I think its more sophisticated in terms of the emotional terrain it attempts to explore. Nostalgia is a less elemental phenomenon than melancholy or bliss.

Does Burial fail for you on this level too, since his music is very consciously about nostalgia and is (as Adam Curtis argues) Romantic? I know you think his beats are shit, presumably the emotion is too plain and - in a sense - ostentatious for your taste?

EDIT: I've just realised droid wrote this and he's actually downgrading nostalgia as compared to melancholy/bliss. D'oh!

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Speaking of Eno and Burial, I never spotted that connection at the time because I'd not heard Eno - but now I hear it, and wiki tells me Burial sampled Eno on 'Forgive'