luka

the stuff he retreads is the worst side of his output sadly. it's not the ambient works stuff it's the spazzy stuff

CrowleyHead

I've been that hateful but I've never been that old yet.

Also imagine me defending as terrible a video as "Windowlicker", ha!

forclosure

the Windowlicker video is funny to me because at the time it was hailed as this great satire of rap video cliches and you look back on it and its like man all them things they were supposed to be taking the piss out of were dated even at the time the video came out

Similair to what people said about Lorde when she mayde "Royals" now that i think about it

droid

Its a good interview. Used to buy their stuff religiously back in the day. had nearly every release at one point. Met most of the roster at one point or another as well. Grant is a lovely guy.

Leo

it is a good interview...perhaps he's mellowed with age but he sounds upbeat and open. seem to recall him being kind of cranky in old interviews (and he didn't do them very often). seemed to despise journalists.

mvuent

Void Dweller
the black dog were the musical wing of the KLF. it never went deeper in the nineties. ever.

this is 100% channelled music.

they were literally the only thing that could hold a candle to hardcore - in fact they burned hardcore crispy too. fabio CANED virtual. absolutely rinsed it.

and THEY WERE COMPLETELY ALONE. i mean, NO-ONE WAS MAKING THIS KIND OF MUSIC. they were isolated on all fronts. most of the white techno bobbins dudes *did not get it*. the only people who got it in the early days were carl craig - and to his eternal credit kirk de giorgio

i mean, i don't relish having to take this tone, but *really*...... i mean, if you care to actually take some time to listen you may understand what i'm talking about. maybe you won't? :love:

what went wrong?

version

Autechre are the only guys left from the IDM thing that don't feel spent, imo. I quite like the later Aphex stuff but it's pretty middle of the road and comes off as a product of habit and necessity rather than any sort of inspiration or enthusiasm.

mvuent

Void Dweller
which is interesting since on paper they're like identical to the plaid guys. same age, same musical background of 80s hip hop and rave, same north face jackets, probably similar combination of STEM thinking and drug intake/mysticism. yet they don't get what autechre are doing now at all: in a recent interview they predictably complained about how their early work had "warmth" and "emotion" and how their new material is only "interesting academically"

I can easily imagine a world where Ae kept making increasingly bland and polished Tri Repetae remakes from the next 20 years and the Black Dog / Plaid kept getting more adventurous and creative. but for some reason it's been the other way around.

anyways I'll stop talking about IDM now or someone will tell me to lol

luka

Autechre are bland as margarine but anyone invoking warmth and emotion in 2019 should be put down.

version

yet they don't get what autechre are doing now at all: in a recent interview they predictably complained about how their early work had "warmth" and "emotion" and how their new material is only "interesting academically"

The "academic" thing seems to get tossed around whenever something isn't immediately accessible. It's particularly galling when it comes to Ae as they don't dress up their music in that way at all and don't seem to have any interest in that world anyway. I remember an interview a while back where they were asked how the sounds and beats were made and they just said something like "I switch on the machine, press buttons and adjust values until I like it then press a button that says record".