Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Ahhh

I suppose Aphex must have been one of the suspects in the 'Who is Burial?' speculations. It would have been just like him, only that it's so po-faced.

Leo

I always liked that he appears to just go about his life, seemingly not caught up in the music industry game or "stardom" (despite the fanboy worship): hardly ever does interviews or tours or puts out records, etc.

one of my fav tales (perhaps even true!) was his remix of indie band the lemonheads...

“I admit that sometimes I don’t put any work into remixing at all.” From a man who flippantly named a collection of remixes 26 Mixes For Cash, the statement isn’t surprising. What is surprising is the extremes to which James would (allegedly) take this operating principle.

As legend holds, he was commissioned to remix alt-rockers The Lemonheads, but when the courier came for the tape, he had nothing to turn in; he either didn’t listen to the original or “couldn’t be bothered to do their track ’cause it was so shit.” Instead, he grabbed an old track, handed it over, and was paid four grand for his work. “Strangely, they never released it,” he told Loaded (which makes confirming this one particularly difficult). “They should’ve been honoured, I reckon. It would have sounded better than any rubbish song they wrote.”

http://www.factmag.com/2017/04/14/funny-little-man-the-facts-and-fictions-of-aphex-twins-mythology/

Woebot

i was working at the production company when they put that together. it's by the director gerard de thame who i used to work for a lot. i remember playing gerard renegade legion's "torsion" - but he didn't bite... pity!

another director who used richard who i also worked with was a guy called adrian moat. that advert with the murder that "couldn't possibly have taken place" (but actually because the car was so fast the killer was able to put his alibi in order) - set in the south of france - i was on the shoot for that. that's got something from selected ambient works on it.

adrian moat used richard for another one too. modelled on that bond film where he's put in that accelerometer and oddjob turns the speed up to full.

i must say i came round to the aphex twin a bit later. at the beginning i thought it was strictly for students. the black dog - that's what it was all about really.

Last edited by a moderator:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Good Radio 4 documentary, whoever put it up.

When did John Doran become the Overlord of music interviews? Seems like he's everywhere. Don't mind the guy mind, great taste in music (his now defunct column on Middle Eastern and North African music was superb), slightly cringeworthy sucking up to Lydon and Mark E Smith in his youtube series though (can't criticise too much - must be difficult not to be overly ingratiating in that kind of series)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I always liked that he appears to just go about his life, seemingly not caught up in the music industry game or "stardom" (despite the fanboy worship): hardly ever does interviews or tours or puts out records, etc.

one of my fav tales (perhaps even true!) was his remix of indie band the lemonheads...

http://www.factmag.com/2017/04/14/funny-little-man-the-facts-and-fictions-of-aphex-twins-mythology/

Haha, that is fucking brilliant!

But who ever thought AFX remixing the sodding Lemonheads would be a good idea?

Woebot

Spanners was a big LP in the day, but I fear time hasnt been too kind to it. Plaid too.

it's all about the early EPs droid. though actually, to be frank, re:spanners i'm not really sure i understand what you mean. though one man's cheese etc.

Woebot

OR for that matter this [also] masterpiece - of a piece with the early EPs

Last edited by a moderator: