Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 76

Thread: Goa Trance

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    LDN
    Posts
    1,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    Plus Megatripolis wasn't as hardcore as the Laserdrome in Peckham (strictly ragga jungle)
    any photos of Laserdrome??

  2. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benjybars View Post
    any photos of Laserdrome??
    Afraid not - it wasn't really the kind of place you took a camera! I'll google around and have a look. Think loads of boys in bullethole jeans & puffa jackets and girls in very short skirts, kneesocks and fluorescent tank lagging tops

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Aldershot, Ants
    Posts
    249

    Default

    going to the fridge (brixton, london) for a 'psychedelic' trance thing with your hangover kicking in is definitely hellish

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,887

    Default

    i was just pondering yesterday how quite a lot of the now "tasteful" minimal euro minimal techno *must* have its roots in euro trance. must be the same producers flogging their wares.

    not exactly an insult (perhaps a compliment) but it seems all the writing about minimal techno is ahistorical, conveying the (illusion, surely) that the music emerged from an egg which floated to the surface of the sea..........

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WOEBOT View Post
    i was just pondering yesterday how quite a lot of the now "tasteful" minimal euro minimal techno *must* have its roots in euro trance. must be the same producers flogging their wares.

    not exactly an insult (perhaps a compliment) but it seems all the writing about minimal techno is ahistorical, conveying the (illusion, surely) that the music emerged from an egg which floated to the surface of the sea..........
    do you have any examples? i would say 'euro' minimal techno was around before 'euro' trance, but we're in the mire... i remember people arguing between what they saw as Techno, and what they considered House... some people saw the difference as 909 beats over 135 bpm = techno, 808 beats under 135 bpm house.... lol... obviously, in extremities it is easier to pigeonhole.

    for minimal 'euro' techno i'm thinking early 90's stuff on lables like Djax-up-Beats, stuff by Like A Tim etc.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    brixton, london
    Posts
    1,870

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by low band View Post
    do you have any examples? i would say 'euro' minimal techno was around before 'euro' trance, but we're in the mire... i remember people arguing between what they saw as Techno, and what they considered House... some people saw the difference as 909 beats over 135 bpm = techno, 808 beats under 135 bpm house.... lol... obviously, in extremities it is easier to pigeonhole.

    for minimal 'euro' techno i'm thinking early 90's stuff on lables like Djax-up-Beats, stuff by Like A Tim etc.
    to muddy the waters, djax, relief etc are really jacking chicago house. theres so much crossover between house and techno that its hard to separate them in any meaningful sense.

    techno as a broad genre predates trance (the latter coming about in 1992 btw) but minimal techno really came about around 1994 with robert hood's seminal "minimal nation" eps.

    what is currently regarded as minimal is really a mish mash of the two bar loop sound pioneered by mills and hood plus more trancey housey gear like the kompact back catalog.

    the other thing i'd say about trance is that it has a connection to old skool hardcore. especially in terms of those big cheesy riffs. you could argue (somewhat tenously, maybe) that its part of the 'nuum - something that jars horribly with the JA-based progression that is normally put forward.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by low band View Post
    do you have any examples? i would say 'euro' minimal techno was around before 'euro' trance, but we're in the mire... i remember people arguing between what they saw as Techno, and what they considered House... some people saw the difference as 909 beats over 135 bpm = techno, 808 beats under 135 bpm house.... lol... obviously, in extremities it is easier to pigeonhole.

    for minimal 'euro' techno i'm thinking early 90's stuff on lables like Djax-up-Beats, stuff by Like A Tim etc.
    I think 'minimal techno' nowadays is seen as something rather more specific than 'minimal' 'techno', if you see what I mean, and as such has certainly not been around longer than 'trance' which began circa '92, maybe a bit earlier.

    In most cases I've never found making the distinction between house and techno to be overly tricky, except with stuff that deliberately straddles both camps. It's an aesthetic thing really but house generally uses more natural sounding instrumentation and vocals or vocal snippets while techno as a rule sounds more synthetic. Also, broadly speaking of course, house is pumping and funky while techno is more linear and austere. Technical definitions are hard to make but really you know house when you hear it and you know techno when you hear it. And you know when something is a bit of both. It's not that hard.
    Last edited by noel emits; 15-11-2006 at 12:36 PM. Reason: x-post with bassnation

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    brixton, london
    Posts
    1,870

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noel emits View Post
    In most cases I've never found making the distinction between house and techno to be overly tricky, except with stuff that deliberately straddles both camps. It's an aesthetic thing really but house generally uses more natural sounding instrumentation and vocals or vocal snippets while techno as a rule sounds more synthetic. Also, broadly speaking of course, house is pumping and funky while techno is more linear and austere. Technical definitions are hard to make but really you know house when you hear it and you know techno when you hear it. And you know when something is a bit of both. It's not that hard.
    i'm not so sure - there are tracks where you can definitely point to one or other. but like i said, theres some hard-as-nails house jack trax out there which are as minimal and creepy as any techno. conversely, theres a lot of detroit techno which is very soulful with female vox. you could argue that techno is more syncopated (in a less rigidly quantized fashion) than house but even that doesn't hold true for all tracks.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bassnation View Post
    i'm not so sure - there are tracks where you can definitely point to one or other. but like i said, theres some hard-as-nails house jack trax out there which are as minimal and creepy as any techno. conversely, theres a lot of detroit techno which is very soulful with female vox. you could argue that techno is more syncopated (in a less rigidly quantized fashion) than house but even that doesn't hold true for all tracks.
    For me it's always had something to do with the balance of intentions, or attitudes in the music - and maybe this is connected to my ideas about the cultural milieux from which the two styles originate. But yeah this is a massive and basically insoluble debate that runs perpetually on countless message boards. I think it's best we don't get too far into it here?

    Let's get back trance, it's safer.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    brixton, london
    Posts
    1,870

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noel emits View Post
    For me it's always had something to do with the balance of intentions, or attitudes in the music - and maybe this is connected to my ideas about the cultural milieux from which the two styles originate. But yeah this is a massive and basically insoluble debate that runs perpetually on countless message boards. I think it's best we don't get too far into it here?

    Let's get back trance, it's safer.
    lol, apple vs microsoft anyone?

    and whatever happened to tech house?

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bassnation View Post
    lol, apple vs microsoft anyone?
    At least people can mostly agree on what 'Apple' and 'Microsoft' actually are!

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    54

    Default

    this is great, it's 2006 going on 1991 here... lol (refering to the house/techno talk)

    i was gonna say those arguments still abound...

    back to 'trance', some of those early R&S records certainly had a trance flavour to them i suppose, people more interested in the 'top' end.

    i would consider some Djax minimal, along with their 'jacking' stuff... esp, as i said stuff by Like A Tim, really stripped down ... that was another lable, along with R&S that lost it...

    so who/what are the current minimal techno releases worth checking out? i'm out of step with stuff these days...

    Noel, you say trance came about in around 92, which track/artist are you refering to? Acperience? Exit 23 by PWOG came out in 1990!
    Last edited by low band; 15-11-2006 at 01:42 PM.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by low band View Post
    Exit 23 by PWOG came out in 1990!
    So it did!

    That's not trance though, it's 'Ritual Dance Music' LOL. Great record.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,151

    Default

    Had a quick look at the wikipedia entry on trance and it looks pretty spot on. Identifies Klaus Schultze, KLF and Psychic TV as key influences. Then stuff like Age Of Love and Dance 2 Trance really define the origins of the style proper. Obviously Jam & Spoon and Cosmic Baby were key in the early days too.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trance_music

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noel emits View Post
    Had a quick look at the wikipedia entry on trance and it looks pretty spot on. Identifies Klaus Schultze, KLF and Psychic TV as key influences. Then stuff like Age Of Love and Dance 2 Trance really define the origins of the style proper. Obviously Jam & Spoon and Cosmic Baby were key in the early days too.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trance_music
    my mate once won a cd single of ' i belive in the power of american natives' by dance to trance in a competition. that record is very funny.

    that pwog exit 23 was recently remixed by some horrible tech house guy, i like that record, but it is where 'return to the source' comes from.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •