Goa Trance

low band

this is great, it's 2006 going on 1991 here... lol (refering to the house/techno talk) ;)

i was gonna say those arguments still abound...

back to 'trance', some of those early R&S records certainly had a trance flavour to them i suppose, people more interested in the 'top' end.

i would consider some Djax minimal, along with their 'jacking' stuff... esp, as i said stuff by Like A Tim, really stripped down ... that was another lable, along with R&S that lost it...

so who/what are the current minimal techno releases worth checking out? i'm out of step with stuff these days...

Noel, you say trance came about in around 92, which track/artist are you refering to? Acperience? Exit 23 by PWOG came out in 1990!

Last edited:

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Had a quick look at the wikipedia entry on trance and it looks pretty spot on. Identifies Klaus Schultze, KLF and Psychic TV as key influences. Then stuff like Age Of Love and Dance 2 Trance really define the origins of the style proper. Obviously Jam & Spoon and Cosmic Baby were key in the early days too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trance_music

mms

sometimes
Had a quick look at the wikipedia entry on trance and it looks pretty spot on. Identifies Klaus Schultze, KLF and Psychic TV as key influences. Then stuff like Age Of Love and Dance 2 Trance really define the origins of the style proper. Obviously Jam & Spoon and Cosmic Baby were key in the early days too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trance_music

my mate once won a cd single of ' i belive in the power of american natives' by dance to trance in a competition. that record is very funny.

that pwog exit 23 was recently remixed by some horrible tech house guy, i like that record, but it is where 'return to the source' comes from.

low band

no mention of the Master Musicians of Jajouka?

circa 2000BC and still going!! ;)

i'll have a look at that article, cheers.

noel emits

One thing about early Trance (as in electronic - techno/house based) music is that some of it actually was trance-inducing in a nice subtly hypnotic way. I think that's largely been lost hasn't it? Especially with the music getting harder - a trend that started quite early on really.

low band

my mate once won a cd single of ' i belive in the power of american natives' by dance to trance in a competition. that record is very funny.

that pwog exit 23 was recently remixed by some horrible tech house guy, i like that record, but it is where 'return to the source' comes from.

a box of leary's toenails for spotting the loop back to the thread title.

i believe the Exit 23 title refers to the junction off the M5 that leads to Glastonbury.

noel emits

Didn't they also do that one about DJ Dag going for a slash and letting the record run out?

john eden

male pale and stale
a box of leary's toenails for spotting the loop back to the thread title.

i believe the Exit 23 title refers to the junction off the M5 that leads to Glastonbury.

I believe you are wrong on that! :)

The loop? Via Alabama, but please keep the toenails...

low band

I believe you are wrong on that! :)

heh.. wanna bet? that's keeping all the obvious 23 refrences aside of course ;)

The loop? Via Alabama, but please keep the toenails...

i was hoping to offload those! i kinda liked it that one of the earliest 'electronic dance' tracks that is intended pretty much to work you into a trance, contains the name of what was to become one of the worst goa trance clubs!

a poor loop i admit.

john eden

male pale and stale
heh.. wanna bet? that's keeping all the obvious 23 refrences aside of course ;)

I'm not really a betting man! Having met them I'd always assumed it was less of a Glastonbury thing and more of a general TOPY/occulture thing, but if you know different then that's all part of life's rich tapestry. ;)

i was hoping to offload those! i kinda liked it that one of the earliest 'electronic dance' tracks that is intended pretty much to work you into a trance, contains the name of what was to become one of the worst goa trance clubs!

a poor loop i admit.

I dunno, what I heard about "Escape from Samsara" suggests to me that it was way way worse than RTTS - reduced entry if you bring bongos/digeridoos - who doesn't feel a shudder when they read that?!

Great song, the A3 one. Wasn't there a libellous "Kula Shaker sell drugs for the BNP" version as well? Class!

low band

I'm not really a betting man! Having met them I'd always assumed it was less of a Glastonbury thing and more of a general TOPY/occulture thing, but if you know different then that's all part of life's rich tapestry. ;)

it was a little suprising, i remember reading an interview with them (generator/nme not sure) where they were going on about going to the glastonbury festival, and how they noticed the Exit off the motorway was Exit 23... i imagined it raised a smile.

Glastonbury was pretty good back in those days, there was definitely more of a 'monochrome psychedelia' element to all things trance like, and not the lurid fluro shite that was to later surface.

obviously there were still loads of hippy's.

what I heard about "Escape from Samsara" suggests to me that it was way way worse than RTTS - reduced entry if you bring bongos/digeridoos - who doesn't feel a shudder when they read that?!

Great song, the A3 one. Wasn't there a libellous "Kula Shaker sell drugs for the BNP" version as well? Class!

it's funny, a friend of mine reckons the A3 track (goa), was written after a girl he (and obviously the band) knew went off to goa, i remember her being one of the tanned belly types... and strangely enough only ever meeting her at glastonbury... she had trench foot...

strange how things come back to you.

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
Trance producers getting minimal: Thomas P. Heckmann/Drax, definitely. He made some early, defining trance anthems like "Amphetamine", but made very minimal, Christian Vogel-ish stuff later. And later still he made retro-EBM. Don't know what his doing now.

Oliver Lieb got minimal later on as well, but he was pretty dull at it. Made some of the best trance ever, though: Spicelab, the Hyper-on Experience of trance.

Hardfloor had a short phase where they were more minimal and house influenced, before they invented their own big beat/electro/acid hybrid.

There's many more I think: Robert Leiner/The Source, Scan X...

As for early trance, a lot of it had deep roots in EBM, with lots of arpeggiator riffs and dark chords. The Overlords "Sundown" (Sunfactor 909-mix) is a great example, it's like EBM becoming trance right before your ears. Dance 2 Trance made some great dark tracks too, "Freaks" being a particular favorite of mine.

i would consider some Djax minimal, along with their 'jacking' stuff... esp, as i said stuff by Like A Tim, really stripped down ...
Can't really follow you here. Tim is stripped down all right, but except for his early acid records, he's much more on an avant electro-trip, with weird spastic syncopations and silly melodies. Very far from typical minimal techno.

DJ PIMP

Morris always gives good press.

Re goa-goa trance I remember being at some outdoor party around 95 and as the set built up for the millionth time to a crescendo of madly oscillating synths before dropping into some gargantuan prog melodic cascade, standing there in complete desolation thinking "please God, not again", only to be cruelly forsaken.

*Shakes fist at the heavens*

DJ PIMP

Trance producers getting minimal: Thomas P. Heckmann/Drax, definitely. He made some early, defining trance anthems like "Amphetamine", but made very minimal, Christian Vogel-ish stuff later. And later still he made retro-EBM. Don't know what his doing now.
Was checking out his new release on Bpitch Control the other day... its alright. Hes back at that 95ish linear dark techno thing.