Goa Trance

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
leave morris alone! he's really sweet.

And he's done more than most to try and rescue hapless ravers from the perils of trance.

mongmaster.gif

mms

sometimes
is mixmaster morris still going?
i remember him being smart and knowledgeable, how does he live tho?
anyone know?

DJ PIMP

I still plonk on MMM's Global Chillage album once in a while. Yes, its all cascades of drifty layered psych-melodics and wibbly oscillations. Yes, its still great. And the last track "Manifesto" is one of my favourite vocodered vocal tracks ever. The perfect resolution to the album.

"It never changes much and it never stops changing".

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
is mixmaster morris still going?
i remember him being smart and knowledgeable, how does he live tho?
anyone know?

last I heard ( earlier this year ( he was still around ) south London, djed with DJ Xian at Cafe Cairo in Clapham North I think, I'll ask around.

bunnnnnn

caught him playing at the big chill this year (as every year) playing a sunday night 6 hour dj marathon - he was playing some quite nice stuff from psychedelic soul to wobbly fourth world ambient mumbling to dippy 70s californian mor.

guessing he's still living in south london with regular overseas soujourns and sporadic mix cd's. it's a living, innit.

bruno

est malade
ha, i was equally handsome and harassed by gay men at the time! *high fives dissensus old farts*

the new age traveller set here were generally disagreeable, elitist cunts underneath the feel good façade, very phobic to anything remotely 'dark'. very violent about preserving their drug-induced earth-loving good vibes. that said, i have them to thank for providing my girl and i with sandoz-lab quality lsd, which we then used in completely wrong ways.

the music here was a mixed bag of teutonic and british stuff in a colin dale style, from the more functional numbers to the weirder end of the spectrum. when it started to degenerate into bland trance by 94 or so i was gone.

i've heard bits of goa trance and it's horrible, but i like the fractal art!

low band

MMM - High Frequency is a great track.

not too down with his slippy fish stuff, for some reason i'm feelin 76.14 by Global Communication, it must be over 10 years since i last listened to that... mmm

marke

Tumbling Dice
as an old'un from up north, i never went to that club, despite loving MMMs Global Chillage/FAX stuff back in the day,
but can i just say - what fucking dreadful flyers !
m.e

martin

----
any photos of Laserdrome??:)

Afraid not - it wasn't really the kind of place you took a camera! I'll google around and have a look. Think loads of boys in bullethole jeans & puffa jackets and girls in very short skirts, kneesocks and fluorescent tank lagging tops

qwerty south

no use for a witticism
going to the fridge (brixton, london) for a 'psychedelic' trance thing with your hangover kicking in is definitely hellish

Woebot

i was just pondering yesterday how quite a lot of the now "tasteful" minimal euro minimal techno *must* have its roots in euro trance. must be the same producers flogging their wares.

not exactly an insult (perhaps a compliment) but it seems all the writing about minimal techno is ahistorical, conveying the (illusion, surely) that the music emerged from an egg which floated to the surface of the sea..........

low band

i was just pondering yesterday how quite a lot of the now "tasteful" minimal euro minimal techno *must* have its roots in euro trance. must be the same producers flogging their wares.

not exactly an insult (perhaps a compliment) but it seems all the writing about minimal techno is ahistorical, conveying the (illusion, surely) that the music emerged from an egg which floated to the surface of the sea..........

do you have any examples? i would say 'euro' minimal techno was around before 'euro' trance, but we're in the mire... i remember people arguing between what they saw as Techno, and what they considered House... some people saw the difference as 909 beats over 135 bpm = techno, 808 beats under 135 bpm house.... lol... obviously, in extremities it is easier to pigeonhole.

for minimal 'euro' techno i'm thinking early 90's stuff on lables like Djax-up-Beats, stuff by Like A Tim etc.

bassnation

the abyss
do you have any examples? i would say 'euro' minimal techno was around before 'euro' trance, but we're in the mire... i remember people arguing between what they saw as Techno, and what they considered House... some people saw the difference as 909 beats over 135 bpm = techno, 808 beats under 135 bpm house.... lol... obviously, in extremities it is easier to pigeonhole.

for minimal 'euro' techno i'm thinking early 90's stuff on lables like Djax-up-Beats, stuff by Like A Tim etc.

to muddy the waters, djax, relief etc are really jacking chicago house. theres so much crossover between house and techno that its hard to separate them in any meaningful sense.

techno as a broad genre predates trance (the latter coming about in 1992 btw) but minimal techno really came about around 1994 with robert hood's seminal "minimal nation" eps.

what is currently regarded as minimal is really a mish mash of the two bar loop sound pioneered by mills and hood plus more trancey housey gear like the kompact back catalog.

the other thing i'd say about trance is that it has a connection to old skool hardcore. especially in terms of those big cheesy riffs. you could argue (somewhat tenously, maybe) that its part of the 'nuum - something that jars horribly with the JA-based progression that is normally put forward.

noel emits

I think 'minimal techno' nowadays is seen as something rather more specific than 'minimal' 'techno', if you see what I mean, and as such has certainly not been around longer than 'trance' which began circa '92, maybe a bit earlier.

In most cases I've never found making the distinction between house and techno to be overly tricky, except with stuff that deliberately straddles both camps. It's an aesthetic thing really but house generally uses more natural sounding instrumentation and vocals or vocal snippets while techno as a rule sounds more synthetic. Also, broadly speaking of course, house is pumping and funky while techno is more linear and austere. Technical definitions are hard to make but really you know house when you hear it and you know techno when you hear it. And you know when something is a bit of both. It's not that hard.

Last edited:

bassnation

the abyss
In most cases I've never found making the distinction between house and techno to be overly tricky, except with stuff that deliberately straddles both camps. It's an aesthetic thing really but house generally uses more natural sounding instrumentation and vocals or vocal snippets while techno as a rule sounds more synthetic. Also, broadly speaking of course, house is pumping and funky while techno is more linear and austere. Technical definitions are hard to make but really you know house when you hear it and you know techno when you hear it. And you know when something is a bit of both. It's not that hard.

i'm not so sure - there are tracks where you can definitely point to one or other. but like i said, theres some hard-as-nails house jack trax out there which are as minimal and creepy as any techno. conversely, theres a lot of detroit techno which is very soulful with female vox. you could argue that techno is more syncopated (in a less rigidly quantized fashion) than house but even that doesn't hold true for all tracks.

noel emits

i'm not so sure - there are tracks where you can definitely point to one or other. but like i said, theres some hard-as-nails house jack trax out there which are as minimal and creepy as any techno. conversely, theres a lot of detroit techno which is very soulful with female vox. you could argue that techno is more syncopated (in a less rigidly quantized fashion) than house but even that doesn't hold true for all tracks.

For me it's always had something to do with the balance of intentions, or attitudes in the music - and maybe this is connected to my ideas about the cultural milieux from which the two styles originate. But yeah this is a massive and basically insoluble debate that runs perpetually on countless message boards. I think it's best we don't get too far into it here? :D

Let's get back trance, it's safer.

bassnation

the abyss
For me it's always had something to do with the balance of intentions, or attitudes in the music - and maybe this is connected to my ideas about the cultural milieux from which the two styles originate. But yeah this is a massive and basically insoluble debate that runs perpetually on countless message boards. I think it's best we don't get too far into it here? :D

Let's get back trance, it's safer.

lol, apple vs microsoft anyone?

and whatever happened to tech house?