Goa Trance

low band

Tim is stripped down all right, but except for his early acid records, he's much more on an avant electro-trip, with weird spastic syncopations and silly melodies. Very far from typical minimal techno.

thats a very good description of how i remember his sound, lol, i remember reading an interview with him once where he said he only wanted to make pop records, and thats what he was trying to do with the equipment he had. I wouldn't say he was minimal techno in a Bob Hood style, but i considered his early stuff minimal techno... on a funky tip maybe *blush*

good shout with Amphetamine by the way, classic.

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
thats a very good description of how i remember his sound, lol, i remember reading an interview with him once where he said he only wanted to make pop records, and thats what he was trying to do with the equipment he had.
The funny thing is that he actually did make a pop record - "Bass Girl" - with soft and dreamy electronic cover versions of old doo wop tracks and the like, and with Gina v. D'Orio of Ec8or and Cobra Killer on vocals! It sounds nothing like you'd think a collaboration between those two would, but it's really charming.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
is mixmaster morris still going?
i remember him being smart and knowledgeable, how does he live tho?
anyone know?

Morris is Djing this Thursday down at the Hive in Brixton with DJ Xian. I might be going. Takes a while for me to get the info but I get there in the end!

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Trance almost works like a 'control case' for ardkore, doesn't it? It's got the same dancefloor-centric functionalism but one way or another didn't end up with the novelty-drive that powered the evolution of ardkore, so it's evolved via rather gradual technical refinement instead.

barty's monocultural mates.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Morris always gives good press.

Re goa-goa trance I remember being at some outdoor party around 95 and as the set built up for the millionth time to a crescendo of madly oscillating synths before dropping into some gargantuan prog melodic cascade, standing there in complete desolation thinking "please God, not again", only to be cruelly forsaken.

*Shakes fist at the heavens*

Quintessentially home counties monoculture for barty and trilliam.

Numbers

Good Goa trance slowed down by a third sometimes gives amazing results. Real nice trippy, almost-electro, as the guy above notes. There a whole Youtube channel dedicated to it.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
this is without doubt the worst music of all time it makes 2008 wobble look like xenakis that's how shit it is. and i have a massive soft spot for wobblestep but people like vladimir ivkovic are playing goatrance at 33 at places like dekmantel and I'm just like despairing hell this is where ur anti-heaviness crusade will mean you end up. too many people in dance music are so ideologically conservative it makes me want to bring a chainsaw to the club. like yes let's not fetishise dj hazard or dj guv but like...

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Lol I knew there had to be an ivkovich and his ilk backlash at some point. Trust third to be the instigator. Definitely heard him play some exceptional shit at times tho.

Goa trance is by far the worst. High five. 🔥

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Definitely spent many a night in the club. Always had the same drive as third to hear shit that's gonna bend my mind a bit. Never quite got as deep down that rabbit hole as he did though. Also not my sole objective. Definitely have a big appetite for the soulful side of things too. Osunlade changed my 'breaks only' perspective in my mid 20s and I never looked back. Househead for real. But often the problem was that I didn't have the right people to point me in the direction, so it was mostly a solo mission trying to get the knowledge. The Internet made all that much easier of course. But there's still many layers of the onion that even the nerdiest of nerds can't find their way into without some kind of of kindly guide willing to let you in on the real shit. With Facebook groups and all that this is becoming less and less true though. I mean there's so much amazing info out there right now. It's almost rude not to play amazing sets. No excuse. Wang was an eye opener. Pretty mental. Some of the warp halloween parties were great too. Briefly talked to aphex at one. I think I just got from a young age that there was this kind of clandestine coven of music knowers who if you were lucky to catch them you'd get to hear all this amazing shit that sounded like a secret, and then made it my duty to seek that shit out. But without like-minded heads to bounce knowledge off of its a slog, but def well worth it for the discovery of a whole new portal. Still happens now and then. I think if I was less introverted around people I look up to musically I probably would be way more in on all that shit at this point. I mean, I mostly went clubbing solo tbh. And I prefer it that way. Other people always felt like a bit of a hassle, I'd be too self conscious and I couldn't let loose with getting all sweaty and into a frenzy as I like to. Asbergers definitely plays a part in this fwiw. But I feel like at 35 I might have grown a little bored of clubbing. In its current state at least. Maybe if I could replicate a few of my old stomping grounds I'd be all in, but there's something that doesn't quite do it for me now. And I think it's me as much as the clubs. Age.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Lol I knew there had to be an ivkovich and his ilk backlash at some point. Trust third to be the instigator. Definitely heard him play some exceptional shit at times tho.

Goa trance is by far the worst. High five. 🔥

To be fair he doesn't play the worst of it so I can give some leeway. But still. don't play goa trance vlad and you'll be an absolute geezer. play pitched down electro or something idk. but otherwise it's true, he has some great record crates.