Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tinnitus?

had a ringing in my ears for about 2 weeks now....generally only hear it when in a quiet room and everything is silent. also its a higher frequency than the kind of ringing that i normally get after going to clubs etc.

anyway. it's a bit strange as firstly i always wear earplugs when going out, and secondly this ringing started after i woke up after falling asleep in the middle of the day....going to the doctors next week and hoping for the best...

i was just in my chiropractor's office looking at a wall chart of the skeleton and nervous system. according to the chart tension or subluxations around the base of the neck can cause ringing in the ears. it might have something to do with pressure put on the nerves. that would make sense in my case because any ringing i have is always at its worst when i have a lot of tension in that area.

I was trying out my new headphones two days ago and had cranked up the volume on my stereo and my computer to the max to see how much noise they produced by themselves. To my horror, I found out that my soundcard produces a VERY LOUD BEEP when dragging the virtual volume bar to the max-level. My body felt all weird for several minutes after being exposed to this ghastly roar, but thankfully no ringing in my ears—yet.

Parson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gek-opel View Post
    I'd be interested to hear of any dubstep/deaf-rave action, just seems a natural combination, and justification for wobblestep!
    when i first started going to raves n shit back in the day, there was a group of deaf kids that were always hanging around. they LOVED clubbing. they can very much feel the bass/rhythms, and loved dancing

Quote Originally Posted by Parson View Post
    when i first started going to raves n shit back in the day, there was a group of deaf kids that were always hanging around. they LOVED clubbing. they can very much feel the bass/rhythms, and loved dancing
    Cool. Did they dance in time with the music or did they look like they had no sense of rhythm at all? (I would imagine the latter since bass is very, eh, ‘muddy’.)

Parson Guest

people were always shocked they were deaf

good timing, good rhythm, and overall very talented dancers as a matter of fact

Parson Guest

also this was 10 years ago and listening to house and breakbeat music.

they had no problem finding the beat

there was a group putting on 'deaf raves' at plastic people for a while

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/3621529.stm

Count me in.

Started last year, but now it is getting serious, ironically I think the final trigger was me trying one of these hearing tests (to check what frequencies I can hear or not) on the iPod without turning down the volume first. And almighty blast at 13-14Khz or whatever hurt like hell. And since then it's been hard getting sleep. I can only really hear the ringing when at night (daytime just as a slight pain or presence).

I can only blame myself

• going to gigs for years&years without any protection ever (most stupid thing I probably did was put my head in the Marshall rack belonging to Seerena Manesh while they were going on full fuzz)
    • using Q-tips: check. Since I was kid. Everyone including my Nose&Ear doctor told me about "nothing larger than your elbow" in the ear. Ignored by poking my ear drum so it sometimes hurt. Until now.
    • Caffeine and chocolate? You bet. How do you avoid that? Today I coped with 2 cans of Coke and a couple of cups of tea, but my caffeine consumption has on average been at least twice this
    • I don't know, but I got a suspicion that using Etymotics (since they sit right on the eardrum) does not help

No way will I stop listening to music, but as a starter I am

• cutting down on the caffeine and choc (health benefits anyway)
    • stopping using the in-ear phones, went to town to look at noise-reducing cans today and thinking of getting a pair of Sennheiser PCX-350s (Bose I don't like (pose?), and the SonyMDR NC60 look to small since I am wearing glasses)
    • getting some ER-20 plugs for gigs

Anything else I can do? And has anyone else suffered for a long period and then gotten better? I knew a studio engineer whose left ear was totally screwed after years of abuse and he claimed you couldn't get better, but from what I can google it seems sometimes it goes away.
    Last edited by Ness Rowlah; 20-04-2009 at 08:17 PM.
    Ness Rowlah

Quote Originally Posted by Ness Rowlah View Post
    Count me in.

Anything else I can do? And has anyone else suffered for a long period and then gotten better? I knew a studio engineer whose left ear was totally screwed after years of abuse and he claimed you couldn't get better, but from what I can google it seems sometimes it goes away.
    Are ER-20s better than Etymotics then? They look about the same shape to me...

edit: Ignore - just realised ER-20s ARE etymotics!

yeah, but from what I can see (ie read on the net) the Elacin are supposed to be exactly the same (just branded differently), so I'll get these. Not too concerned over how it will look, my hearing is more important than worrying
    if I look like "grandad in the house"

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elacin-Earpl...0265583&sr=1-1
    Ness Rowlah

• cutting down on the caffeine and choc (health benefits anyway)
    • stopping using the in-ear phones, went to town to look at noise-reducing cans today and thinking of getting a pair of Sennheiser PCX-350s (Bose I don't like (pose?), and the SonyMDR NC60 look to small since I am wearing glasses)
    Never heard anything about caffeine and chocolate, what's the deal?

I have ER 15s and they're pretty good. I prefer clubbing with them in than out as they cut out a lot of noise while still maintaining that loud clubby vibe. I also find talking to people easier with them as the frequencies seem clearer. If you get some clear ones people barely notice you wearing them even when you're outside having a smoke or whatever.

Not too concerned over how it will look, my hearing is more important than worrying
    if I look like "grandad in the house"
    you won't, a lot of people wear them. kind of crazy not to

definitely worth shelling out for moulded plugs if you can, er20s are good but noise can still pass through and they affect the sound a lot more.

I did my first test of the Elacins on Thursday (London's Stag&Dagger: a skinny-jeansed&chequered shirts hipster fest if there ever was one - but with a handful of good bands).

I was quite impressed with the Elacin performance, there's a slight colouring of the sound, but overall it's just like turning the volume down to seven instead of ten.
    I might get moulded plugs once I get more cash, but for now these will do the job.
    Ness Rowlah

the loudness/annoyingness of tinnitus is psychological. you cant get rid of the actual sound, you can only learn to live with it, and if you do then it wont seem as loud and you wont notice it as much.

neuromonics is probably the most succesful treatment out there but its expensive (6000 aussie dollars) and the whole treatment is just a tinnitus masker and some therapy chats with an audiologist. seems to work though
    Last edited by msoes; 03-06-2009 at 01:10 PM.