Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tinnitus?

Default Tinnitus?

interesting bit of software here

a few divided opinions in the comments section.

Cheers. A mate of mine has it pretty bad, I'll get him onto this.

i have tinnitus quite badly in my right ear.

this looks fascinating! on os x too

this is my new pet hypochondriac obsession (last year i thought my teeth might be about to crumble, but i think tinnitus is more probable).

i don't tend to be aware of ringing during the day, but once in bed, when everything else has gone quiet, i'm very aware of ringing and lower frequency noise in my ears. i'm not sure what to attribute it too though. i know i have some music-related ear damage, especially in one ear, but i've also read that body noise (blood flow, etc.) and neural noise (the actual sound of your neurons firing, especially during periods of high stress) become audible in quiet surroundings (unbearably so in an anechoic chamber).

nomadologist Guest

i've had dreams about my teeth shattering several times. haven't had tinnitus since i was a young kid. both my eardrums burst when i was very young, which i experienced as a sound like thunder, or hammers on sheet metal, and which my parents thought was me hallucinating till both my ears started bleeding weeks later. can still hear somehow, but my ipod might soon be the end of that.

the teeth crumbling thing figures into one of Freud's most obviously cocaine-fueled theories from On the Interpretation of Dreams:

http://www.tnnweb.com/mds/freudsdilemma.html
    Last edited by nomadologist; 20-11-2006 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nomadologist View Post
    the teeth crumbling thing figures into one of Freud's most obviously cocaine-fueled theories from On the Interpretation of Dreams:

http://www.tnnweb.com/mds/freudsdilemma.html
    oh right, haha. i forgot about that. forget i said anything. though i suppose one could make a similar conjecture about tinnitus and the music fan.
    Last edited by nomos; 20-11-2006 at 07:29 PM.

I know I've been pushing my luck ears-wise for a long time. DJ'd at a bloody noise show (which I thought would be a quieter drone-type affair) just over a week ago and the nastiness (ringing, loss of high end, 'scratchiness') has only just subsided How amazing it is to have quality audio back.

Definitely plugs from now on.

wow. i've heard of this type of tinnitus reduction, but not as software. has anybody actually investigated it yet? i'd cough up for something that works - though i do tend to just keep listening to music and that ditracts me most of the time anyway.
    i remember my grandad one time complaining of ringing in his ears and my grandma reckoning she could hear it. heh.

i tried this online hearing test yesterday but it wasn't clear how to calibrate the volume properly:

http://www.digital-recordings.com/he...ht_help_p.html

Post-Sunn0)) gig (and dubstep production at home with ear-drum-worrying crap sub) my left ear started going really weird, white noise swells that came and went when certain pitches were present in the environment I was in, distortions of audio at certain freqencies too, rushes of tinitus sine-tone then after a few days, fine. Seriously weird shit.

Do deaf people like dubstep? (as in the sub waves might be experienced pretty well without audio... hmm?)

Quote Originally Posted by gek-opel View Post
    Do deaf people like dubstep? (as in the sub waves might be experienced pretty well without audio... hmm?)
    Not sure but I know Plastic People used to host deaf raves: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/3621529.stm

I'd be interested to hear of any dubstep/deaf-rave action, just seems a natural combination, and justification for wobblestep!
    Last edited by gek-opel; 23-11-2006 at 12:01 AM.

Just remembered too, Alejandro González Iñárritu and Guillermo Arriaga's new film Babel is supposed to contain a sequence in which a completely deaf girl's experience of a nightclub is depicted. I'm really interested in hearing how they go about this. I hope the only local showing isn't at the rep theatre with the less than immersive sound system.

I've had some people tell me that only hi and mid range frequencies cause hearing loss, and that sub is not as/non-damaging.

Anyone care to verify, disprove this hypothesis which I very much want to believe in?

I've heard that too. I've also noticed that with very good sub-heavy sound systems, even if they are painfully loud, there doesn't appear to be any damage done. I think it's nasty frequency spikes in the mids and highs that cause the real problems. Ban shitty PAs and inept sound engineers!