Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Was jazz-fusion a dead end music genre?

Most jazz Fusion I hear doesn't do it for me...neither the smooth CTI sound nor the 'prog' muso Mahavishnu side of things...often it's not funky enough to my ears and the rigid technical proficiency leaves me cold. Hancock's Mwandishi band are an exception, as is Miles's work, especially the Jack Johnson sessions, which blow most other efforts away. Later, Defunkt showed how it could be done from another angle, which was fierce, tight, funky and imbued with some of that ol' Punk attitude.

I really want to like Mahavishnu Orchestra but have yet to hear anything by them that isn't utter, utter bollocks. I used to wonder why they were so limp when the guitar playing on Jack Johnson is so fierce and chunky, until I discovered (on here, I believe) that it was Sonny Sharrock playing uncredited.

Sharrock's playing on some tracks is amazing - Echoplex! I've never been a fan of the original album but the sessions throw a whole new light on what they were doing at the time. Great bass-playing from Holland and Henderson too. Although Miles 'schooled' a lot of those players they didn't really 'learn' as far as I'm concerned. Again, it's a matter of technique over attitude. You have to take into consideration the weird Macero cut'n'paste ethos too.

some amazing amazing stuff thats kinda fusion like electric miles herbie hancock sextant era, alice coltrane, john mclaughlin my goals beyond, etc and a trough full of shit like al di meola etc, thats the way the cookie crumbles. i still like stuff like donald bird etc, in parts cos it's sweet and sounds so lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by mms View Post
    some amazing amazing stuff thats kinda fusion like electric miles herbie hancock sextant era, alice coltrane, john mclaughlin my goals beyond, etc and a trough full of shit like al di meola etc, thats the way the cookie crumbles. i still like stuff like donald bird etc, in parts cos it's sweet and sounds so lovely.
    Id lke to add to mms's list with Chick Corea/Return To Forever - Light as a Feather its more on a latin tip tho' There's a track on there called Spain which is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by slim jenkins View Post
    Sharrock's playing on some tracks is amazing - Echoplex! I've never been a fan of the original album but the sessions throw a whole new light on what they were doing at the time. Great bass-playing from Holland and Henderson too. Although Miles 'schooled' a lot of those players they didn't really 'learn' as far as I'm concerned. Again, it's a matter of technique over attitude. You have to take into consideration the weird Macero cut'n'paste ethos too.
    I have the sessions box, which is really good, though I am a fan of the original LP (it's a bit too chunky and driving in a very few places, to the point where it becomes corny, I guess), am I right in thinking two 'sessions' boxsets were released?

Never got along with Mahavishnu much either, or Santana, but I love McLaughlin & Santana's 'Love, Devotion, Surrender'. More psychedelic jazz-rock than fusion I suppose. Versions of A Love Supreme, Let Us Go Into The House Of The Lord, Naima and this.

It's Larry Young on Hammond. This isn't fusion either.

Quote Originally Posted by STN View Post
    I have the sessions box, which is really good, though I am a fan of the original LP (it's a bit too chunky and driving in a very few places, to the point where it becomes corny, I guess), am I right in thinking two 'sessions' boxsets were released?
    I've not heard about that. The original was just too proto-heavy metal rockin for me...I was shocked and disgusted first time I heard it. I thought he'd let the side down.

Quote Originally Posted by Bang Diddley View Post
    Id lke to add to mms's list with Chick Corea/Return To Forever - Light as a Feather its more on a latin tip tho' There's a track on there called Spain which is awesome.
    if we're going down the return to forever direction, may i add children of forever, cos it's really good.

this is the worst music in the world but great thread. weird emotional tags though lol

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    this is the worst music in the world but great thread. weird emotional tags though lol
    so, drugs don't make it good, then.

no. they make it nauseating. so much record collector knowledge on here ten years ago though.