Al Jazeera's U.S. debut

N

nomadologist

Completely unconnected to Donald Rumsfeld’s resignation, Al Jazeera International, the English-speaking spinoff of the Arabic news channel he hates so much, is supposed to go live in the U.S. on Wednesday. But to watch it locally, you’ll probably have to have the satellite provider Dish Network, since it’s the only distributor that says it’s “willing” to ink an agreement with the channel’s financial backer, the Emir of Qatar. New York’s primary cable providers, Time Warner and Cablevision, have decided against carrying it right now; Comcast and Cox have also demurred. The reason, analysts say, is not so much the channel’s controversial reputation but saturation: With so many news shows on the air already, they claim, Al Jazeera doesn’t add much to the media mix. Unlike those providers, Dish already carries Al Jazeera, and twenty other channels, in Arabic.

http://nymag.com/news/intelligencer/24100/index.html

I'm not a huge TV fan, but does anyone here have Dish Network? Would you recommend it? Expensive? Cheap?

The people of Dish, Texassure seem happy with it, but I need a second opinion.

Last edited:

swears

preppy-kei
I can't believe the amount of channels on Sky at the moment. Even the religious programming seems oversaturated. There's about 15 Christian channels and at least five Muslim ones, they must all have these really narrow faith-based demographics they can reach.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Al-Jazeera seem to have nabbed a lot of establishment UK journalists (Rageh Omar- David Frost etc) --- they're obviously taking it pretty seriously (although neither of the aforementioned are actually any good, of course, one's a pious windbag, the other a dinosaur- perhaps a brontosaurus rather than a megalodon). "I'd like to see the West bomb them now", I think might be an amusing subtext to the whole thing.

lebanies

Wild Horses
they already bombed it in iraq and in afghanistan.
what the hell of freedom of press you"ve got there in the west eh!!!!!