"Al-Qaeda are misunderstood"

vimothy

yurp
Yes but the tendency on forums tends to be the opposite, turning into an equally desensitizing tit-for-tat of gore photos. Usually the quality of discourse declines in inverse proportion to efforts at producing shock.

Aren't we capable of rising above that level of idiocy, though? I thought that the pic in question was pretty heart-rending and affecting, not some sort of knee-jerk gore-for-its-own-sake crap.

nomos

Administrator
For me, having spent a lot of time on, and working with, Indymedia a few years ago has made me wary of 'horrors of war (or police brutality, etc.)' image threads (which I realize you weren't trying to start) because they so predictably devolved into pointless, image bombing sprees. It was made worse by Indymedia's 'democratic' 'no moderation' policy which made that section of the site useless more often than not.

adruu

This Is It
other possible threads for vimothy to have fun in
"osama is your liberal girlfriends rape fantasy"
"Marx was fat, so what did he know about being poor"
"if there were no rich people, who would keep all of the money?"
"hummus is really good, could a caliphate be that bad?"

Guybrush

Dittohead
My problem with images such as the one posted is that they invite rash, emotional responses when what is needed is thoughtful, cool responses. Which is why I broadly support the mainstream media’s shying away from broadcasting such material.

vimothy

yurp
Have thought about this over the weekend and realise that John was probably right. It's better to have these discussions on the level of reason rather than emotion. There's little to be gained from partisan picture battles, and I can see how this could easily become a competition to see who can post the goriest picture that supports ttheir own particular view (like US soldiers executing jihadists, for e.g.).

However, this is a side of the war that is generally ignored by the media, who focus much more on the messed up state of Iraq and not on the efforts of the Coalition to put it right. There is a stereotypical image of (esp. American) soldiers as under-educated hicks who are only interested in guns and computer games, and who don't really give a shit for the people of Iraq.

But yeah, anyway, I'll post no more pictures like that.

vimothy

yurp
"osama is your liberal girlfriends rape fantasy"

Funny you should mention that....

According to reports, Kola Boof, a Sudanese poet/novelist who alleges that Osama Bin Laden kept her as a sex slave after raping her a decade ago, also claims in her autobiography Diary of a Lost Girl that Bin Laden thought that Whitney Houston was the beautiful woman alive and wanted to make her one of his wives. Osama Bin Laden may not have danced to "I Want to Dance With Somebody" but he did want to make Whitney Houston his wife, even if it meant whacking Bobby Brown.

The Celebrity Cafe reports that Kola Boof writes about the whole Whitney Houston obsession, "He told me Whitney Houston was the beautiful woman he'd ever seen. The author goes on to say that "Osama kept coming back to Whitney Houston. He asked if I knew her personally when I lived in America. I told him I didn't." The book also claims that Osama Bin Laden discussed having Bobby Brown killed so he could get closer to Whitney Houston like "it were a normal thing to have women's husbands killed."

Kola Boof also claims to have found copies of Star and Playboy magazine in Osama Bin Laden's briefcase. And, in a story that could only get weirder, The Celebrity Cafe also reports that Kola Boof's book claims that Osama Bin Laden was also a fan of The Wonder Years, Miami Vice, and MacGyver.

http://www.thedeadbolt.com/news/111620/whitneybinladen.php