Bring me the thread of Alfredo Garcia

IdleRich

IdleRich
Now I'm pissed off again, cos it was on telly the other day and i thought about giving it another go and didn't
Weirdly enough it's on tonight actually at ten to eight if you've got something called Sky Movies Indie.

"jesus christ, will there be no end to my consumer madness.
*looks dismayed from lack of funds in wallet*"
My friend has that book, he'll said he'll have a look to see if it says anything about the jumpers. His guess is that it's another example of GTO's many superficial attempts to change himself for the better - which sounds like a pretty good guess to me.
As for the race thing that they don't take that seriously, maybe it indicates that they don't care about anything about driving and cars - and they don't really care about them either.

nochexxx

harco pronting
I love it when she creeps into the car as a kind of stowaway and then when they notice they don't even do anything, just accept it as it happens as they do with everything.

quite, it strikes me as portraying an inevitable perspective from the racers. this type of shit just happens all the time on the road. a testament to the films realness.
i'm romantisizing a little here, but it reminded me of my skateboarding days where you saw crazy stuff on the street all day and everyday that you end up being numb to it.

Also, the way that GTO tells everyone he picks up a different story about how fantastic he is, and there's that bit where he starts telling the driver (or is it the mechanic?) what actually sounds like the truth for the first time, about how his wife left him and it all fell apart from him and stuff - and the other guys just says "I don't care".

i liked seeing warren oats's in such a self deprecating role.

crackerjack

Weirdly enough it's on tonight actually at ten to eight if you've got something called Sky Movies Indie.

Marvellous, on it. These digital/satelleite channels do repeat the same movies all week long. Don't really get it, but it does stop your life turning into one long telly sesh

edit: hmm, The Apartment and The General on today too.....

Last edited:

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Marvellous, on it. These digital/satelleite channels do repeat the same movies all week long. Don't really get it, but it does stop your life turning into one long telly sesh

My argument against even getting a freeview box...people at work keep saying I must get one every time they rave about a Beeb series on Avant Folk Funk fashion. If TV was so good I'd do nothing else but watch the bastard. Is terrestrial TV's drive towards totally dumb programming really a form of covert action to make the country more creative? :slanted: Or just turn everyone's brain to mush. ;)

crackerjack

My argument against even getting a freeview box...people at work keep saying I must get one every time they rave about a Beeb series on Avant Folk Funk fashion. If TV was so good I'd do nothing else but watch the bastard. Is terrestrial TV's drive towards totally dumb programming really a form of covert action to make the country more creative? :slanted: Or just turn everyone's brain to mush. ;)

I'm actually warming to all the shit on the main channels - I think it's a cloaking device, satisfying the mainstream with popular but reasonably cheap reality TV and home improvement shows while the BBC SPENDS YOUR LICENSE FEE on brilliant but marginal stuff like Mad Men and film docs and Neil Young gigs which it shows in the middle of the night for people like me to record on Sky+

btw Slim, I trust you're up to date with this
http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?p=168779#post168779

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Perhaps there is an argument for the arts TV separatist movement...but I'm old enough to remember the old days when the Beeb showed quality films and part of me still yearns for that, I suppose...a lost cause, no doubt.

On the subject of Alredo Garcia, it's on my TBW pile (the one in my head - along with a million other films).