Zizek's Pervert's Guide to Cinema

zhao

there are no accidents
just caught part the first. very well made production and have never seen this guy in action before. great.

seems like classic psychoanalytic film theory but with more oomph (could be just from his punchy delivery?) - "Vat is de tird peel?" (I've been saying that over and over all week :D)

was this shown on brit TV? I'm impressed. anyone else see it?

tox

Factory Girl
I saw a film simply called Zizek, which was absolutely fantastic. It was basically just a documentary about Zizek's life and theories and very very interesting.

Is this a TV series you speak of? I'll have to see if I can torrent it...

zhao

there are no accidents
yeah I have the doc. sitting at home. can't wait to see it.

just saw part 2 of Pervert's guide...

"fantasy realized is not the ultimate pleasure, but an unbearable, nightmarish real."

hmmmm... :slanted:

A15976218_large.jpg

Yes, its been screened and broadcast almost everywhere by now, and the documentary was, uh, discussed hereabouts some months ago.

And there are more Pervert's Guides in the pipeline: Zizek and director Sophie Fiennes are already developing their next documentary collaboration, The Pervert's Guide to Ideology – an expected development or "sequel", when allowance is made for cinema’s own implication in systems of belief and hegemony, and Zizek’s constant undermining and deconstruction of such processes. Apparently, the documentary, currently in production, is examining contemporary commercial cinema as a state ideological apparatus. His film examples will include such as Munich, United 93, The Village, and The Da Vinci Code and will be accompanied by clips from the films [betcha he'll smuggle in Borat somewhere ...]. Also planned for later is The Pervert's Guide To Opera. Ouch!

Wish someone would do The Idiot's Guide To Perversion. Come on down Mr Godard and Mr Lynch!

BTW, the DVD of The Pervert's Guide To Cinema has just been released, here (‘Wait for the DVD, ten hours of deleted scenes!’ - clip), but maybe we should take Zizek at his word here: ‘I was in New York and there were these signs, Don’t buy pirated movies, you are supporting terrorism and communism” blah blah blah. So I thought, from now on, I will only buy pirate DVDs. Maybe the spontaneous communism of the medium will finally triumph.

So make sure, therefore, you only buy a pirated copy of the DVD.

"Show we clearly sheee wish shinema the real of the shyche ..."

The Perverts guide was great fun, although it tended to work best as a vehicle for Zizek's entertaining delivery style rather than as a showcase for a number of by now very dated theories.

you

"...but I want a third pill!"

Yup, I really enjoyed, the series, im super tempted to get the "Zizek" dvd, I particularily (sp???) enjoyed his analysis of Hitchcock and Lynch. Interesting.... really has prompted to me to watch many of the films mentioned again.

I heard Zizek wrote about 300. Could anyone provide a link or a book reference to this article?? Im quite intrigued and it might be cool to link it in the 300 thread anyways...