Clothes

mms

sometimes
I'm a nice sweater (Pringle, Ljinnberg, Lyle and Scott or John Smedley at risk of sounding a bit like Paul Weller), plain t-shirt, blue jeans and white trainers (fairly plain ones like adidas or whatever) fellow myself, though I do have a pair of Clarkes loafers which I wear to make myself look like I've just stepped out of a Ford Cortina in 1972. I'm sure they don't make me look like that at all and in fact make me look like a braying tit outside Inferno in Clapham but what can you do? It's all pointless anyway, I have a scraggy beard and shit teeth (most of which are yellow, one of which is gold) so I look like a disgusting tramp whatever I do.

My girlfriend is always trying to make me grow long hair as well but coupled with the beard I think it makes me look like a thin Bill Bryson. Also, I had long hair in 1994 aged 14 and I was such a ghastly pillock back then that I can't bring myself to do it now.

I will stand up for buying one garment that will last for the price of 5 that won't (but I don't always conflate cost and quality, like a lot of people who are dickheads about clothes do).

I have this weird brown bomber jacket thing that my mate Jon gave me 8 or so years ago and it's my most treasured sartorial possession.

Dare anyone start a thread on boxers vs. pants?

there is of course always that thing with clothes, some of them when they look tattered and natty they have that special blues quality,
bad teeth are the sign of a true english man.

Bettysnake

twisted pony ******
tips:

1970s geography teachers knew the score.
wrong, rilly rilly wrong.

unless you're trying to attract a lady geography teacher.

mens are unfortunate as they don't have the wonders of topshop but TK Maxx is your friend. I got a lush teal cashmere jumper in there recently.

30/40 something men look good in a nice John Smedley jumper.
http://www.johnsmedley.com/shop/section.php?qs_sid=46

thinking about clothes is very relaxing.

STN

sou'wester
30/40 something men look good in a nice John Smedley jumper.
http://www.johnsmedley.com/shop/section.php?qs_sid=46

Oh Christ, I'm 26.

How do people feel about bags? I have a rucksack. Is that childish? I just cant bear those handbaggy things that dangle so cheerfully at the hips of fresh-faced gastropub-goers.

Also, can anyone give any support for the theory (oft-peddled by my girlfriend) that the more testosterone you have, the more brightly you see colours, explaining why us chaps are always to be found in drab greys, blues and browns?

What about hats? I collect hats with earflaps and I daresay lots of people think they make me look an idiot but I don't care.

bassnation

the abyss
there is of course always that thing with clothes, some of them when they look tattered and natty they have that special blues quality,
bad teeth are the sign of a true english man.

hey, i'm welsh and my teeth are rotten too! don't leave us out.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
wrong, rilly rilly wrong.

feel the power:
ElbowPatch4_edited.jpg

mms

sometimes
Oh Christ, I'm 26.

How do people feel about bags? I have a rucksack. Is that childish? I just cant bear those handbaggy things that dangle so cheerfully at the hips of fresh-faced gastropub-goers.

yes bags, confusing, i too have a rucksack - it's about 15 years old and has severe blues.
i have a pale yellow shirt on today, i have been complemented by two ladies.

martin

----

I don't think men should carry bags. You shouldn't be carrying anything that can't fit into your pockets. If you have to bear a large object, best to get a taxi

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Does anyone else find the selection of men's clothes in the UK almost supernaturally shit? H&M's clothes may be of ultimately poor quality, but at least some of their stuff has panache. The other high street stores are just depressing (even Zara has turned to absolute shite over the past couple of years).

Spanish men's fashion is the way forward tho, I reckon.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The paucity of Brtish fashion 'flair' seems to come from an overriding desire amongst men 'not to look gay', at the expense of looking quite dull. The only alternative seems to be to dress like a Hoxton twat.

S

simon silverdollar

have the UK's young males ever looked worse than they do now? i fucking hate that skinny jeans + wanky thin scarf + white brogues look that everybody's doing (in london, anyway). just insufferably prickish.

euan ferguson was saying in the observer the other day that men's clothes can be great in winter and are always shit in summer. i tend to agree.

mms

sometimes
have the UK's young males ever looked worse than they do now? i fucking hate that skinny jeans + wanky thin scarf + white brogues look that everybody's doing (in london, anyway). just insufferably prickish.

euan ferguson was saying in the observer the other day that men's clothes can be great in winter and are always shit in summer. i tend to agree.

surely the other side, wearing big grey jumpsuits is worse, people dressing like adult babies in shapeless anonymous grey uniforms with hoods, girls differenciated by a bit of pink.
There was a time when people saved up to get suits etc, looked very cool.

swears

preppy-kei
Fashion at the moment is well rubbish isn't it? Stupid spiky/floppy hair, bad mix ups of 70s and 80s, meaningless text splayed over everything engrish-style, and of course the ultimate fashion crime: WEARING A SUIT JACKET WITH JEANS. :mad:
The last half of the 90s was a bit conservative, so things seem to have gone in the opposite direction towards being over the top and garish. Although I have to admit I like the move towards early-eighties drainpipe-narrow-lapel-skinny-tie-ness in suits though, the whole 70s thing with kipper ties, wide-lapels and flares is getting really tired now. Also it's funny how the whole grunge/90s beach bum look is still kicking around, just like the hippy look lingered well into the 70s. And yes, the girls do look better than the boys, fellas my age are usually far too boring with what they wear (like me, maybe if I was a bit more attractive I'd make more effort) or just dress like complete tits.

This is interesting. I've known MMS for years, I wonder what he thinks of how i look? I feel almost ashamed because I wear jeans and t shirts and i have long hair. Oh dear.
Today I am wearing cords and a proper shirt with a nicole farhi sweater. In general I like wearing expensive things that look cheap and plain. I like a good cut and being 6'3" and thin, high street stuff looks stupid on me, too short and wide. Turned 34 last week and feeling that I am pushing it wearing T shirts these days.
But I'm not about to start wearing shoes. Plain white trainers.
I buy a new pair of Evisu jeans every year, they are stitched together properly and cut well and don't have any silly patterns bleached into them or rips or anything (I'm talking about the plain basic ones, not the silly paint-daubed ones for posers).
I think clothing with writing on it is wrong unless the writing is personal to you like the name of a band that you are IN or a company that you OWN.
Suit jackets without a suit are wrong. Shoes with jeans in wrong. Metrosexual hairstyles are wrong. Any man over 20 who takes more than 4 minutes to get dressed and out the door is faulty in some way unless he is going to a wedding or something.
Actually I even think men should have short neat hair but even at 34 I still haven't got used to having massive ears that stick out so I'm still a longhair.

I must be getting old cos I think trendy people look extremely foolish. I love late 70s early 80s hip hop style but that was then and there and this is now and here and i would look silly walking around in cazals.

mms

sometimes
This is interesting. I've known MMS for years, I wonder what he thinks of how i look? I feel almost ashamed because I wear jeans and t shirts and i have long hair. Oh dear.
Today I am wearing cords and a proper shirt with a nicole farhi sweater. In general I like wearing expensive things that look cheap and plain. I like a good cut and being 6'3" and thin, high street stuff looks stupid on me, too short and wide. Turned 34 last week and feeling that I am pushing it wearing T shirts these days.
But I'm not about to start wearing shoes. Plain white trainers.
I buy a new pair of Evisu jeans every year, they are stitched together properly and cut well and don't have any silly patterns bleached into them or rips or anything (I'm talking about the plain basic ones, not the silly paint-daubed ones for posers).
I think clothing with writing on it is wrong unless the writing is personal to you like the name of a band that you are IN or a company that you OWN.
Suit jackets without a suit are wrong. Shoes with jeans in wrong. Metrosexual hairstyles are wrong. Any man over 20 who takes more than 4 minutes to get dressed and out the door is faulty in some way unless he is going to a wedding or something.
Actually I even think men should have short neat hair but even at 34 I still haven't got used to having massive ears that stick out so I'm still a longhair.

I must be getting old cos I think trendy people look extremely foolish. I love late 70s early 80s hip hop style but that was then and there and this is now and here and i would look silly walking around in cazals.

you are a responsible and stylish dresser, i remember your phase for white clothes only afterall, you are self aware and dress stylishly sir, and anyway you don't wear tees and jeans all the time.

bassnation

the abyss
this thread is really beginning to worry me as i've fallen foul of a few of the fashion crimes mentioned - and there was me thinking i dress quite well. thats the problem with being middle aged i suppose.

mms

sometimes
this thread is really beginning to worry me as i've fallen foul of a few of the fashion crimes mentioned - and there was me thinking i dress quite well. thats the problem with being middle aged i suppose.

oh i'm being a total fascist and it's more or less for my own benefit don't worry ::eek: