Pseudonymic for the people

N

nomadologist

I always get confused for a WASP in "real life" because my last name is "Graves" and I'm extremely fairskinned. Pretty funny to be assumed part of the inner circle of the privileged when you couldn't be farther from it. I've thought about changing my last name for kicks but this is too amusing for now.

I chose this "nomad" pseudonym or whatever we call them in message boards thinking, ok, this has a referent somewhere and I'll remember it (I often forget IDs and passwords and have to reregister on sites). Then I searched it and found there's an architect who knocks around online posting with "thenomadologist" too. Maybe I should think harder...

Question: do you people all know each other from professional life or something? I see that you seem pretty familiar some of you...

PS Polystyle--you from NYC originally? When I'm in the burroughs, mediterranean types always guess my heritage, but no one else can. i love what a crazy place brooklyn/queens is like that. you'll hear spanish or russian spoken by kids who look asian/black on the subway.

Last edited:

polystyle

Hallo Nomado
No , like many here i come from somewhere else
- Washington DC - Northern Virginia's pre Hardcore suburbs where the x spooks , military and Pentagon fathers and fams live(d)

nomos

Administrator
haha. no, the origin of the name.

but re: the film, is there a good verion on dvd now? the last time i looked there was only a version that had the dialogue redubbed.

bruno

est malade
i like last names that are virtues, i don't think that's very common. a girl i knew once (briefly) was patience, which i thought was nice.

eden is very evocative. is that a real last name?

Last edited:

bruno

est malade
i like the idea of something complex operating under a simple, unitary façade. hence the (reckless?) use of my real name online.

in real life my name had to function in different contexts, knowing that we would probably not stay in one place for long. so it was a practical choice. but there is also the intention of shedding x signifiers that could hinder others from seeing you as you truly are, in accordance with the idea that it's what you think and do that matters, not your façade. i'm not sure i susbcribe 100% to this but i respect it.

it's the possibility of ghettoising that i don't like about pseudonyms. i don't like the idea of filing yourself into the cabinet. although martin raises the interesting experience of freedom i don't think imposed identity necessarily limits what you do under it, unless you have a really horrible name.

nice thread, nomos!

Last edited:

petergunn

plywood violin
I have always really liked your avatar, nomos - i think avatars themselves are interesting as they are a non-langauge based attempt to project something interesting about ourselves and are often at odds with the linguistic personality we are presenting - Kpunk's Bree for example (backjob used to have a funny one and i always liked droid's previous ones; eden has a cool one, but then he has a really cool name as well!)

i love avatars, but everytime i try to add one here, it's too big...

my avatars on other sites:
pettibon-elvis.jpg

eskimo9oi.jpg

advice6og.jpg

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
My virtual name was kinda a doozy, Mister Sloane was a character in a play by Joe Orton, who was trouble and fucked anything that moved :)

Guybrush

Dittohead
Much as I am fond of pen names I think avatars instigate and lead the imagination even more, possessing penetrating qualities that are impossible to disregard. An apposite avatar can make other posters more indulgent towards you, but the contrary also holds true. Interestingly, whether the avatar depicts human (fleshy?) or inanimate objects does not seem to affect how I perceive the poster behind it, e.g. a pleasantly-coloured worm might evoke more favourable emotions than a loo-coloured blossom.

P

Parson

my real name is chris parson

i started using the name cris p ars on when i was in highschool. a google usenet search tells me it was late 94.

i always felt that my online persona was a direct reflection of my real world personality and that was something i was proud of. really though its a bit of a magnification.

now i'm nearing 30 though and c r isp ars on is not somebody identify with anymore

ppl probably gonna call me crisp or crispy for the rest of my life now tho

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
my real name is chris parson

i started using the name crisp arson when i was in highschool. a google usenet search tells me it was late 94.

i always felt that my online persona was a direct reflection of my real world personality and that was something i was proud of. really though its a bit of a magnification.

now i'm nearing 30 though and crisp arson is not somebody identify with anymore

ppl probably gonna call me crisp or crispy for the rest of my life now tho

thats the cult dude yes?
forgot which one?

P

Parson

his eye usually moves but dissensus won't let me have animated avatar
applewhite.gif

N

nomadologist

so if i say something offensive is woebot also like the priest and he can absolve me? do people call woebot "woebot" outside of the internet? because if i had thought of that name for a blog i'd insist people call me woebot for real.

i know i spent a few years completely out of the "humankind" loop, but i wake up and there are all these new places that people go who like music and i feel like a stranger in a strange land. showed up at someone else's family reunioni f'n love all the politics of the "message board" virtual community.

this stuff almost writes itself, doesn't it?