swears

preppy-kei
As much as I hate this country sometimes, I probably am very English in terms of being too reserved, polite, obsessed with status, etc... Although I'm really half Irish/half Jewish by blood.

I'm more of a spirits person, but that Cains 2008 was nice, btw.

luka

yeah it is tea, but with food probably swears though. i always picture him eating spam out the tin sitting in front of a police academy video.

luka

i prefer the green coopers to the red one. they do a good stout too. probably the only half decent brewery in australia which has the worst beer i've ever encountered.

STN

sou'wester
what's that Victoria Bitter like? I assume it's awful and as such can't bring myself to drink it.

luka

its not awful. its a typical aussie beer. very weak, no taste, designed to be drunk as cold as possible. makes sense given the climate i suppose.

STN

sou'wester
beer from hot countries is often like that, though an honourable mention goes to Gambia's Julbrew, which is lovely, tangy and crisp.

Went to the Lexington, Pentonville Road, last night and they had some nice American beers (as well as Brooklyn lager, which is bollocks) - Sierra Nevada (don't think the Americans rate this one, actually, but I love it and am glad it's trendy), Sam Adams Boston Lager and a couple from the Anchor Brewery.

luka

DO YOU LOT RATE ST PETERS RANGE?
i think i once met mms in their pub on briton st in faringdon, but i might be imagining this....
in my memory he was wearing a salmon pink cardigan, or maybe a pastel yellow one

STN

sou'wester
that'll be the Jerusalem Tavern. I don't mind some of the St Peters range, but I find them a bit inspid on the whole, not ones I seek out.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
what's that Victoria Bitter like? I assume it's awful and as such can't bring myself to drink it.

I'd say it's pretty awful. When I tried it I couldn't even decide if it was meant to be a bitter or a lager, it was just 'beer' in the most generic way possible. Turns out it's (nominally, at least) a lager. Called Victoria Bitter. But of course!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
that'll be the Jerusalem Tavern. I don't mind some of the St Peters range, but I find them a bit inspid on the whole, not ones I seek out.

In that case you need to try their Old-Style Porter, Cream Stout, Winter Ale...about as far from insipid as can be.

Also their Lemon & Ginger ale contains 200% of an adult's RDA of ZING.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The lemon and ginger one is a bit crap though.

Horses/courses. I quite like a lot of those aromatic spiced/fruity beers.

Oh, and St. P's do a great cinnamon and apple ale, well worth checking out.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
beer from hot countries is often like that, though an honourable mention goes to Gambia's Julbrew, which is lovely, tangy and crisp.

Went to the Lexington, Pentonville Road, last night and they had some nice American beers (as well as Brooklyn lager, which is bollocks) - Sierra Nevada (don't think the Americans rate this one, actually, but I love it and am glad it's trendy), Sam Adams Boston Lager and a couple from the Anchor Brewery.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is a fine, fine drink. i have had about one other of theirs in the States, a Christmas seasonal IIRC and that was good. i too am glad it is trendy in this country. the Yank craft brewers make some awesome pale ales i must say.
on a side-note STN, can you believe the prices for a glass of bourbon in that pub?!

i've not drank the beer concerned but this is the best pump clip i've seen for ages. (if you can't quite make out what the one OAP is saying to his mate it's "I'm not going to Sid's funeral. He won't be coming to mine.")

titfortat_tastingtips.jpg

i can only remember drinking a bottle of St Peter's output once or twice in my life. a hole in my memory.

VB is shit (or competent, if you prefer) Aussie lager.

oh i found a link to the good Sierra Nevada seasonal i meant: Celebration Ale

don_quixote

Trent End

yes!!

i had the 8 i think (in this cafe in the netherlands) because i'd already had a few but this is good stuff. tryin to remember what else i had...

i love dragon stout for how syrupy and sticky it is, prefer it to the nigerian guinness, although i think theyre similar, the nigerian stuff is more bitter.

going to subdub in leeds and being able to drink dragon is a good way to spend time.