luka

which shop was it? ive gone off the craft beer thing since it made me fat but i sunk a lot of money and hangovers into it for a few years

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
It's two shops actually, owned by the same people, both in Brum - Cotteridge Wines and Stirchley Wines and Beer. Of course on their websites there's loads of people going on about how the best shop is *actually* in Coventry, NW London or wherever. I'm not an expert, but there's a massive range of beers....

I'm not 100% sold on craft beers, but there are a few I really like and it's better than Stella (usually, not always - sometimes only Stella will do)

john eden

male pale and stale
You can get the northern monk session ipa in Morrisons. Pretty good. Can’t remember what it cost but it wasn’t outrageous.

All those hops will put bitch tits on your dad bod.

Next big thing in beer will be gruit. YHIHF.

https://www.craftbeer.com/craft-beer-muses/gruit-ales-beer-before-hops

“It is important to keep in mind the properties of gruit ale: it is highly intoxicating – narcotic, aphrodisiacal, and psychotropic when consumed in sufficient quantities,” Buhner explains. “The hopped ale that took its place is quite different.”

The perfect atavist brexit beer.

Can anyone else here that fucking dog barking incessantly? Cannot get to sleep.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
That Northern Monk one I was talking about upthread is in there. As you'll see, it's a very tastefully designed can.

i had a milk stout for the first time last weekend, and it was bloody awful. I've rarely enjoyed a beer less. My interest in craft beer is waning as I'm realising I only like 25% of it, and without clear guidance it's a fairly random choice

Last edited:

luka

you're ok if you can find a brewery you like. for example i like the kernels beers. they are light and tropical like a can of lilt. consistently good. other places are much more hit and miss. you come to get a sense for wht they do. beavertown for instance is ok but the flavours are muddied. you dont have the brightness and clarity of the kernel.

Leo

it's probably uncool to admit but during the hot summer months, I've come to enjoy cloudy IPAs with hints of citrus (grapefruit, mostly). not a huge IPA fan the rest of the year, but those can be refreshing when it's burning outside.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
it's probably uncool to admit but during the hot summer months, I've come to enjoy cloudy IPAs with hints of citrus (grapefruit, mostly). not a huge IPA fan the rest of the year, but those can be refreshing when it's burning outside.

:D

pumpkinIPA.jpg

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Stuff I've enjoyed recently:
Magic Rock Common Grounds - coffee porter, one of the best drinks in the universe
Magic Rock mint choc chip porter - shouldn't work, somehow does and is very pleasant
Tiny Rebel Stay Puft marshmallow porter - bonus points for Ghostbusters reference (also Welsh - presumably Craner drinks this weekly)
Thornbridge Cocoa Wonderland chocolate porter is very nice too, though it's like someone has tipped cocoa powder into the beer in the last ten minutes while you weren't watching, doesn't taste integrated. Still great tho.

Plum porter is the worst porter - a horrible alcoholic dessert that surely no-one had ordered

Last edited:

luka

The best novelty beer I've had is probably the tzatziki beer I had at the tail end of a delirious, punishing, hallucinogenic pub crawl I went on with Woops over the summer

luka

It was in the Cock tavern in Hackney. I was just trying to work it out but it seems there are two English breweries doing a tzatziki sour. Mad Hatter and Orbit. I think it was the former but I'm not at all sure. We started in Stoke Newington and by the time we made it to Mare street we'd been in a lot of places and had a lot of drinks. But it tasted exactly like a very tart tzatziki. I really liked it. Cut through the fug and numbed tastebuds.

luka

Woops was playing functions on the low on the piano and I was drinking pickled egg juice.

entertainment

I don't know why drinking good beers has become so tainted with hipster connotations. I genuinely love these, it's probably one of my least pretentious tastes.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
i'll look out for it. there's a ridiculous amount of entertainingly flavoured beer out there, so dangerous. fortunately a lot of pubs still have an appalling selection without any dark beer

Leo

I don't know why drinking good beers has become so tainted with hipster connotations. I genuinely love these, it's probably one of my least pretentious tastes.

agree, the beer snobs can be just as bad as music snobs. go with what you like...might even be so contrarian that it becomes considered cool!

comelately

Wild Horses
I'm not an expert on Craft in Budapest, but I've had the odd one and my general feeling about Craft styles in Central Europe is they just don't quite rate and they're still a bit pricy. I know a place though. It turns out some decent enough stuff on rotation at a reasonable rate - a large (probably 40cl, dunno for sure) double IPA for a little north of two squids, a 6% milk stout for a little south of the same. And yeah, it's nicer than a Spoons.

The macros do make some IPA and APA type beers - the Soproni APA is clumsy but it does deliver most of the notes one might expect and it's pretty cheap out of the shops so it's my street/park beer of choice.

Off topic, one of the supermarkers sometimes do an actually good ersatz Aperol for £3.50 and you can get a bottle of Prosecco for £2.25. So that was a fun Saturday night in with the missus.

luka

Wetherspoons are interesting. They vary enormously. Some feel very hostile. Some feel cursed. Some smell of death. But some have a warmth and almost a sense of community, a kind of inclusive family fun Butlins vibe, that you don't get anywhere else in the country anymore.