dematerializing sound (via blissblog)

N

nomadologist

Apologies, I was perhaps being a bit literal. Still, i reckon a lot of these ideas get massively overplayed. It's like a second .com boom.

you're probably right but i hope not. i want to ride that wave to financial stability.

by business drives creative i mean the CREATIVE CONTENT of say, the dialogue, the tagline, etc, of AN ADVERTISEMENT, is now based on BOARDROOM DECISIONS, high up at the BUSINESS SIDE of advertising. there is enough data for business to work with now--they don't have to rely on the creative, say, ad writers, or expensive boutique agencies, to come up with whatever ads they'll have to use without recourse to a business model that can predict how well that ad will work and whether, for example, the business end in teh boardroom will decide to keep outsourcing to a certain boutique agency.

that's what happened with this ad we're doing...

...the client approached the agency with the idea

the agency fleshed it out and got in touch with the production company to put a price on it and secure the personel needed to make it happen

thats where i come in...

...the idea was people floating up, flying into trees, over fences, above buildings etc

I reckon Guybrush,making that happen is a hell of alot more creative than selling houses...;)

Guybrush

Dittohead
I reckon Guybrush,making that happen is a hell of alot more creative than selling houses...;)
I certainly think so, but what I was looking for was a definition which we could all agree on, one less prone to misconceptions than one based on personal opinion.

PS wait wasn't this thread supposed to be about something else?
Yes, the loss of the physical object, perhaps? You wrote this upthread...
There is nothing capital can do without the fetish object readyathand.
...and I wonder if it is not possible for capital to create fetishes even for non-objects? I would think so.

DJ PIMP

Also increased bitrates (from pirated sources, anyway) is a definite fact.
Was talking about this with a friend in regard to a torrent-based movie forum I frequent.

Around 2000 the norm was a 1cd rip (~700 meg).
Then it went to 2cds.
Then actual DVD rips (4-5gig).
Now HDTV rips of TV shows are the emerging trend.

p.s. Dissensus should become an ad agency. Its a great name for one.

DJ PIMP

the real ghost of vinyl is when you hear what it actually sounds like without the phono channel magic in place... like a bird chasing a worm in a bucket of gravel.

lazybones

f, d , d+f , p.
i think in regards to mp3 quality etc it should not be too long before wavs can fit onto an ipod ... i mean i have lots of aiff rips of my hypadub and basic channel records on mine already...

spose data transfer has to get a little faster...

and in anycase , thru[bad] headphones, its not that big a deal. but i do feel strongly that djing with vinyl is the only otpion for most kinds of music, i can't see dubplate and vinyl culture going away..

N

nomadologist

you just have to have the money and the leisure, or they'll have to start paying DJs a lot better, if they want turntables to persist as club fixtures into the next decade

lazybones

f, d , d+f , p.
well...you know i don't mind eating pasta and cheese for a week every so often in order get the latest 12s....sure thats the case for many young uns!

:eek:

version

Afterall, how can capital constrain the immaterial, spectral demi-presences, etc.? There is no object anymore. There is nothing capital can do without the fetish object readyathand.

In hindsight, this reads as wildly optimistic. The object doesn't appear to be necessary at all. Capital is phasing it out itself.

And, furthermore, that non-object can be fetched for free (music, tv-series, movies, etc.). I sympathize with struggling artists everywhere, but this, to me, is one of the most positive trends of 21th century so far: entertainment's brusque escape from the claws of profiteers and concomitant hole-and-corner transactions.

And this has been rolled back with the advent of streaming.

version

Is there a stage beyond streaming? Maybe if we end up with Neuralink, or something similar, we'll get to a point where we just pluck the stuff out of the air at a thought.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
There'll probably be loads of augmented stuff with irl and content/games blending together like with Pokemon Go but way more elaborate. Could imagine interactive movie/game hybrids where you play a character and you're able to have complex conversations with NPCs, and it'll be far beyond the scope of the multiple choice stuff we have in some games now. The conversations would have a major impact on the storyline which evolves and improvises itself as you go along, all non-linear, open world, and real time. Environments and characters will tailor themselves to your personal choices, likes and dislikes etc. I mean, GTA etc is this sort of thing already, but it's gonna make that shit look like 16bit games do to us now. Given big enough datasets, AI and maybe even some human input on the other end to guide things along, this could be as immersive an experience as psychedelics, or somewhere close to lucid dreaming. You imagine something: it happens. Or you let the algos take you for a ride. Its gonna be like Second Life on acid, yo.

Imagine NPCs (maybe rendered as famous actors) becoming more and more believable until you won't be able to tell. What about a Blade Runner game where the game is to figure out if its an NPC or not and the decide to retire them or not. Or you can do a manhunt on Elon Musk? (just spitballin here!) Or what about putting together your dream band or sports team and you get to play with them? At the speed things are moving now, this stuff could easily happen in 5-10 years. It'll get to the point where people will rather be plugged in 24/7 than face real life. Not too long from now supercomputers and all the AI stuff thats in development are going to make now look like Windows 95.

version

I'm picturing being able to walk around outside, mentally dial into a frequency and have the stuff piped directly into your head. You could argue that's still streaming though, just to the brain rather than an external device.

Can sound get more dematerialised than streaming?

william_kent

Can sound get more dematerialised than streaming?

yeah, in the 80s there were rumours of military technology that could "beam" audio in to a targeted individual within a crowd, signals like "KILL KILL KILL!"

and we now KNOW that that technology really exists

edit: I couldn't find the tech spec from 1985 from an audiophile company that promised "targeted audio", but my rule of thumb is that if you've heard of it then the military knew about it 30 years beforehand

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Could imagine a generative soundtrack reacting to your environment a bit like that Chemical Brothers tune with the video looking out from the train. Or the PS2 game Rez.

version

yeah, in the 80s there were rumours of military technology that could "beam" audio in to a targeted individual within a crowd, signals like "KILL KILL KILL!"

and we now KNOW that that technology really exists

edit: I couldn't find the tech spec from 1985 from an audiophile company that promised "targeted audio", but my rule of thumb is that if you've heard of it then the military knew about it 30 years beforehand

william_kent

THANATEROS!

edit: although only @Clinamenic and E actually, truly, understand thee MAGICK ov* neologisms**, w/E be sure if you can work this out then w/E "may" be willing to initiate you in to thee secret {true occult in thee purest sense of thee word } inner disorder

* and funny spellings! and bad grammar! they be really important when you be unstitching thee fabric OV reality as manufactured by thee agents OV CONTROL!

** @Clinamenic and E are up to 777 pages in our neologlisms DM thread where we have reverse engineered reality through clever wordplay ( granted, Stan has done all the heavy lifting, I'm just along for the ride, FRAVIA R.I.P. would be so proud of our boy )