Mystery tunes

staypuft

bwah bwah
#3 is Renaldo & The Loaf - "Melvyn's Repose" from the Ralph Records compilation Frank Johnson's Favorites. that was our fave college-era tune for stoned giggle fits c. 1981-82.

may also want to check their LP called Songs For Swinging Larvae in case any of the other tracks (#1, #2 ?) are from that

you didn't go to CalArts by any chance, did you? all this amazing music and more came from the school radio station, KCIA, which I managed for a few years. when I have a chance I'll list some of the other gems that I was able to ID before posting here. sadly, it's unlikely that the station's programming is as good these days, as a faux-subversive mentality has moved into the school (a sign of the times?)..

peteUM - keep me posted if it comes to you.. I'd love to hear anything along similar lines or by the same artist. plus it's really really ripe sampling material :)

martin - thanks, knowing the artist certainly does narrow it down! I haven't found a match for that track from online album samples yet but I hope to sooner than later..

staypuft

bwah bwah
hiya! been a while, but I id'd a couple more:

21 is Cafe Tacuba - Reves
32 is Throbbing Gristle - Ab/7a
34 is Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass - South Of The Border
49 is Isotope 217 - Sint_D
56 is Jeff Beck - Down In The Boots

and a couple that for some reason I never posted?
Dr. John - Goin' Back To New Orleans
Wire - Different To Me
Gordon Monahan - Speaker Swinging Excerpt

Last edited:

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
just my 2 cents too.. i really like these kinds of threads ;)

im looking for a track too - a crunk/booty song i think is called peanut butter and starts with the lines

peanut butter eat it up ???? juicy cup
bam bam choo choo train, get up onnit and ride that thing

i cant/why not
i cant/why not

my back is aching my bra too tight
my booty shaking from the left to the right
imma ride that ?? all night

I think that's 'Get Up On It' by DJ Technics

alex

Do not read this.

The fucking tune at the start of this vid, im sure spyro id' it for me but i forgot, think it's by someone on heatseeker warheadz, so agent x or someone under an alias

staypuft

bwah bwah
hey all, I got A BUNCH more of these figured out, via the Shazam app. which must be some kind of testament to the digitalization of EVERYTHING

05 - Varied Trio: II. Bowl Balls by Lou Harrison

18 - Suite for Javanese Gamelan and Synthesizer: I. String of Pearls by Robert Macht

22 - Stanwell Perpetual by David Grubbs

24 - L'egiptienne by Kenneth Gilbert (performer) / Rameau (composer)

28 - La Partenza (The Parting) by Trallaleri of Genoa

29 - Vos Flores, Rosarum (De Martytibus, Responsorium) by Sequentia

30 - Talaha L'Badro Alaina by The Master Musicians Of Jajouka

35 - Set Me Free by The Kamkars

40 - seems to be a remix of Self by Pluramon?

41 - The Manufacture Of Tangled Ivory Part II by Annie Gosfield

43 - Philip in Samaria by Rev. James Strickland

45 - Without You by Holly Golightly

47 - Hyoushi by Otomo Yoshihide / Christian Marclay

48 - The Sky Is Too High by Photon Band

51 - Boccherini: Quintet No.9 For Guitar And Strings In C, G.453- "La Ritirata Di Madrid" -3. Allegretto, performed by Academy Of St. Martin In The Fields Chamber Ensemble & Pepe Romero

57 - Bag's Groove by Modern Jazz Quartet

59 - Acholi Bwala Dance (Uganda) - East Africa Ceremonial & Folk Music

Last edited:

staypuft

bwah bwah
I'm not trying to spam this thread, but I just noticed that I started this post on the first day of 2007. what a truly epic quest.

anyone figure out 07 yet? I think I can rest easy after that's taken care of.

staypuft

bwah bwah
these are from the same batch of mystery tunes, only I ID'd them before coming here (this should give you a better idea of how awesome the ol' radio station was):

Edd Byrnes - Kookie's Mad Pad
Elvis Presley - Are You Lonesome Tonight (the famous laughing version) - Live In Las Vegas
Francis E. Dec, Esq. - Gangster Computer God Worldwide Secret Containment Policy
The Specials - Stereotype
Desmond Dekker & The Aces - Israelites
The Gerbils - Sunshine Soul
Gordon Mumma - Epifont

enjoy nerding out on these, you musi-holics :)

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I'm not trying to spam this thread, but I just noticed that I started this post on the first day of 2007. what a truly epic quest.

anyone figure out 07 yet? I think I can rest easy after that's taken care of.

I can finally help! Not all of it though, number 7 is Tod Dockstader's Water Music :

but there's something else mixed into it - the washy key pad sounds. I don't know where they're from though my brain thinks it recognises them.

staypuft

bwah bwah
I tagged one of the less exciting remaining ones:

37 is Boccherini: Quintet No.3 for Guitar and Strings in B flat, G.447 - 3. Adagio

Well, 49 down, 10 to go!

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Was it IdleRich who had a thread about a white label his mate had and wouldn't say who it was by and Dissensus tried to work it out?

staypuft

bwah bwah
Hiya mystery music folks… I gussied up the first post for easier reference :)

Also, I got lucky and ID'd #12. And added one additional track that somehow fell through the cracks before: http://timspace.com/music/mystery/60.mp3

Now then… since there are some top notch tunes still unlabeled, I would like to double down on asking for your help. Have any chums with encyclopedic knowledge of esoteric music? By all means steer them this way. Know of another forum/site where are people rabid for quality music? Let me know.

I'm asking because a project relating to this quest is finally coming into focus - a project that can do much, much more with the labeled tracks than the remaining mystery ones. :cool: Don't worry, I'll keep all of you fantastic people in the loop!

Thanks!!

staypuft

bwah bwah
Four more down, thanks to the fellow who apparently gave a few of these tunes to the radio station!! 01, 02, 07, and 60

Nice on michael for sussing out the Pauline Oliveros tip on the first two. Apparently she had some involvement but not the main credited artist.

I can sleep soundly knowing what 07 is, finally!!!

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
these are from the same batch of mystery tunes, only I ID'd them before coming here (this should give you a better idea of how awesome the ol' radio station was):

Edd Byrnes - Kookie's Mad Pad
Elvis Presley - Are You Lonesome Tonight (the famous laughing version) - Live In Las Vegas
Francis E. Dec, Esq. - Gangster Computer God Worldwide Secret Containment Policy
The Specials - Stereotype
Desmond Dekker & The Aces - Israelites
The Gerbils - Sunshine Soul
Gordon Mumma - Epifont

enjoy nerding out on these, you musi-holics :)