Sherburne reports on Shackleton Villalobos remix

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
i just also remembered gutterbreakz' post natal oppression mix, which had both techno and dubstep in it, though as far as i remember it progressed from one to the other. It was ace though, a lot of interesting tunes. I'm gonna listen to it again tonight in fact.

oblioblioblio

Wild Horses
in terms of rhythm programming, is minimal techno very 'straight' or does it have swing and syncopation that's at all comparable to dubstep/garage? that would seem to me to be a sticking point where remixes are concerned.

I would say that the 'swing' in most minimal techno is all down to clever polyrhythmic sequencing. i.e. that it is based on the mathematically precise 'swing' that comes from letting multiple time signatures work against each other, which are generally tied down by a consistant 4 to the floor kick, in addition to the standard 2 snares/hihats on the offbeat combination.

Having said that I would say that dubstep is very similar (in terms of rhythm programming). I think the main difference (other than tempo) between it and techno is the way that the 2 step foundation (generalising a little bit here) allows this 'swing' to be accentuated in a way that polyrhythms rooted by a constant 4/4 kick do not allow.

oblioblioblio

Wild Horses
so basically what I'm saying is that, yes, they are very comparable, the main difference being the consistent tempo and 'typical' beat patterns that go with the need to make dj friendly music.

elgato

I just dont know
most of it is pretty straight. not swung like burial, el-b etc. But i think techno prides itself on not getting stuck in a rut - maybe some swing'll come into it. Were there not supposed to be some micro house remixes of digital mystikz as well? Or am i getting confused here.

i disagree with this... in my opinion there is a great deal of swing and funk in many 'minimal' artists...not everywhere, but in many quarters. when i listen to people like guido schneider, akufen, mathew dear (a)pendics shuffle, even the formerly rigid adam beyer, i hear the rhythmic influence of garage. so much shuffle, bump and pop to the drums. in garage it wasnt just 2step which had swing. obviously there is a lot of straight down the line business in minimal but i think you're downplaying the other side of things.

i personally dont want burial to be remixed by techno artists, it seems pointless. to be fair (i dont know how he'd feel about this) a number of his tracks already have the hypnotic roll that i get from a lot of techno. the key for me for crossover is it bringing something new, adding value, and i dont see how that could be achieved.

request line i'd like to hear remixed, but mostly i'd rather hear artists working on original material rather than remixing... halfstep, ultra-syncopated techno, or non-snare orienated, rhythmically maximal dubstep (as blackdown has pointed towards). imo theres definately a point where theyre one and the same, and that would be an exciting place. pinch is leading the way i reckon, the last tune he played at fwd last month i dont know whether to call techno or dubstep. and obviously mala

exciting times anyways :)

nomos

Administrator
i personally dont want burial to be remixed by techno artists, it seems pointless.
yeah i'm not actually advocating this. people can do what they like but burial is something that is just perfect to me the way it is.

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
if you listen to techno records, I don't know that there is actual swing on their drums. Sitting here listening to audion's (matthew dear's) remix of Jesse Rose, the high hats are completely straight. But I do concede the point that it sounds swung. And actually listening to martin buttrich's full clip that sounds quite swung to me. So: i'm pretty much wrong haha.

"halfstep, ultra-syncopated techno"

I could fancy me some of that. I've been trying to make sort of borderline/dubstep tunes myslef but i'm not sure how successful i;ve been so far but I think there's definitely a number of people who are gonna make some very big tunes in these areas. and it should be very interesting.

Jacob

EDIT:

Blackdown was talking on his blog about the difference in dub and techno in that dub is "outer" and dance is "inner". It'll be interesting to see if people manage to reconcile the two. How will people on ecstasy/ketamine locked into the zone that comes with that and dancing to something like full clip react to something that has more space (dubstep in my opinion is more minimal than minimal really)/dissonance? And will people at forward welcome tracks that run to minimals length? I think both will have to mutate to survive.

Last edited:

oblioblioblio

Wild Horses
if you listen to techno records, I don't know that there is actual swing on their drums. Sitting here listening to audion's (matthew dear's) remix of Jesse Rose, the high hats are completely straight. But I do concede the point that it sounds swung. And actually listening to martin buttrich's full clip that sounds quite swung to me. So: i'm pretty much wrong haha.

"halfstep, ultra-syncopated techno"

I could fancy me some of that. I've been trying to make sort of borderline/dubstep tunes myslef but i'm not sure how successful i;ve been so far but I think there's definitely a number of people who are gonna make some very big tunes in these areas. and it should be very interesting.

Jacob

this is my point upthread. the 'swing' that is present in any music comes from interplay between different rhythms.

The main (maybe even only) difference, rhythmically speaking, between minimal techno and dubstep is the general beat foundation, which stems from the need to make records that djs can use.

In techno this foundation is roughly 125 bpm and pretty much always 4 kicks, 2 snares and 4 hihats.

In dubstep this foundation is much more loose, and aside from being roughly 140 bpm. there is a very wide range of different 'foundtation' patterns, but typically centered around 1 kick and 1 snare per bar.

So obviously with dubstep there is a lot more room for other rhythms, and also the potential for variation of the main 4/4 elements that form the backbone of the rhythm.

It is for this reason, I believe, that half step rhythms are considered to have more 'swing'.

Obviously all the constraints are not rules per se, they have simply evolved from the fact that producers want their records to be useful tools to other djs, and also these boundaries are generally quite effective at promoting creative rhythm programming, as having certain constraints already laid out means you can focus your energy more effectively.

I predict, however, that there will not be a major crossover between dubstep and minimal, that they will in fact remain 2 distinct musical identities. Obviously there will be cross pollination, but I think any total almagation between the 2 is unlikely. The main reason for this is that producers need to make tunes that fit together, dubstep and techno are basically like lego and mecchano. i.e. not compatible.

Another reason, apart from rhythmical and mechanical, which people may have previously touched on, is the intentions of the music. In that techno is music whose main motive is creating a state of trance through furious repetition. Whereas I think that dubstep has intentions that are escapist on a certain level, but are rooted a lot more in ordinary life. To use a rather crass anology, if they were drugs, techno would be ecstacy and dubstep would be weed.

To Jacob, if you want to hear ultra syncopated techno, check out the work of Steevio (and his label www.mindtours.co.uk). He basically makes techno without following any of the normal rules that producers choose to obey. i.e. he makes 125 ish bpm electronic dance music and puts his kicks, hats and snares where he likes. Really good music.

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
cool i will check him out. I think we were thinking of actual different things when we meant swing - you meant the feel to the music whereas i was talking about whether the producer has actually used the swing feature on the drum machine. yeah i can never see the two becoming one but that cross pollination i think may turn out to be quite fruitful. Or it might be a dismal failure. Exciting that these possibilities are open however. Now i'm gonna go fiddle with the swing slider on my drum machine...

Jacob

Logos

Ghosts of my life
In that techno is music whose main motive is creating a state of trance through furious repetition. Whereas I think that dubstep has intentions that are escapist on a certain level, but are rooted a lot more in ordinary life. To use a rather crass anology, if they were drugs, techno would be ecstacy and dubstep would be weed.

Where dubstep gets very interesting is where people try to bridge the two...Left Leg Out for instance.

elgato

I just dont know
I predict, however, that there will not be a major crossover between dubstep and minimal, that they will in fact remain 2 distinct musical identities. Obviously there will be cross pollination, but I think any total almagation between the 2 is unlikely. The main reason for this is that producers need to make tunes that fit together, dubstep and techno are basically like lego and mecchano. i.e. not compatible.

clearly they will remain broadly separate, but i believe that a side of dubstep will emerge that is difficult to technically (rather than culturally) delimit from minimal, or indeed other forms of house (aside from perhaps one snare per bar). given that 4x4 tunes have been accepted as dubstep now, as have tracks with techno-ish aesthetics, i dont see how it cant. obviously its speculation, but i can see it happening.

and i think they are compatible if theyre at the same tempo. a lot of faster, more maximal techno works wonderfully with a number of dubstep tracks. its just a matter of programming.

but i agree that there is a barrier at the moment with minimal because of the tempo and the key role of the dj in both scenes

oblioblioblio

Wild Horses
clearly they will remain broadly separate, but i believe that a side of dubstep will emerge that is difficult to technically (rather than culturally) delimit from minimal, or indeed other forms of house (aside from perhaps one snare per bar). given that 4x4 tunes have been accepted as dubstep now, as have tracks with techno-ish aesthetics, i dont see how it cant. obviously its speculation, but i can see it happening.

and i think they are compatible if theyre at the same tempo. a lot of faster, more maximal techno works wonderfully with a number of dubstep tracks. its just a matter of programming.

but i agree that there is a barrier at the moment with minimal because of the tempo and the key role of the dj in both scenes

My point was that essentially there is nothing musically and rhythmically that different between techno and dubstep. Both use a lot of polyrhythms that are grounded in a 4/4 beat, both use a lot of space and atmoshere etc. etc. Thus I believe that the reasons for them remaining seperate is out of function, which is something that won't be affected by the cross pollination that is occuring.

But having said that, I neglected to mention Left Leg Out (thanks to Logos to pointing that one out), which has been proven to be brilliantly functional is a classic techno context, even when slowed down by quite a few bpm. So perhaps I am way off the mark after all, and that maybe all it takes is a couple of forward thinking producers to create a rhythmic archetype that allows a functional and beautful marriage of the main intentions of both musics, and then more will follow.

psherburne

it's funny, i've wanted to remix burial myself (or rather, have a go at remixing him...) -- but i think you'd be very likely to lose a lot of what makes him special, eg the off-kilter rhythms that come from unquantised cut & pasted bits. then again, that's not so different from what dettinger used to do for 4/4, so maybe you'd just need to stay true to the ethic, and not simply tack a 4/4 beat over the top.

if things go as planned, MUTEK in montreal this year will be trying to set up a platform to foster the kind of intra-genre dialogue that happens far too seldom.

kinda-sort-almost related: roman flügel has a new remix out, i think it's on the souvenir label, that comes mighty close to "proper" UK garage. or at least has it as a discernable rhythmic undercurrent. really inspiring (and tantalizing) stuff.

psherburne

(whoops, missed reading page two there) re: swing, thomas melchior has often had a really swingy, *almost* two-steppy basis to his music, but he's also far more grounded in house, i'd say, than techno, and taking inspiration from a lot of the same records that gave rise to uk garage initially.

childrentalking

yeah i was about to say, a minimal discussion re swing without mentioning melchior is pretty nuts. his soul capsule productions are especially key.

elgato

I just dont know
this is a horribly functional post, but while we're talking about him could someone help me out re: Thomas Melchior - The Meaning... my copy sounds really strangely mastered on a number of the tracks on the first vinyl (no depth, kind of muffled). is this just my copy or is it the same for everyone?

but mr sherbourne is right to point to him, his drums must be informed by garage, whether uk or not is hard to say.

this is linked to quite an interesting topic that i've thought about a bit... other than through cultural analysis, how does one delimit techno and house? obviously (for example) hardtek is techno, and funky is house, but when it gets to places like thomas melchior or akufen et al, how can it be done? is it a matter of aesthetic? or rhythmic emphasis? or how it feels?

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
i've always thought of techno being cold and house being warm, but increasingly I don't think this works out. I've also maybe connected techno with lighter drum sounds, like you get from the 808, whereas house was a bit heavier, using the 909. Hard to generalise on these things though. Also what you might call house the producer of it would turn round and say "ach nein, zis is techno!" Derrick may said that: "house still has its heart in 1970's disco. We don't have any of that respect for the past, it's strictly future music." I've always held that to be kind of true as well; house i've associated with shorter, poppier songs, more often vocal led that are more successful in the charts. techno for me has seemed darker, longer, more underground and more interesting (despite there being some very good house as well.) Though having said all this I am fairly young and my proper experience of dance music does not stretch back that far, so someone who's experience stretches back to 88 is probably not going to agree with me.

Logos

Ghosts of my life
If you want to talk about minimal/dubstep crossover as in actual transmission of ideas then its all about Pinch's set at DMZ last night. Incredible - and the last tune in particular sounded like a very abstract minimal tune as opposed to minimal influenced dubstep, but with lots of bass obviously; it was slow too, about 130bpm I'd reckon.

Very excited by Pinch's productions right about now.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
The last tune in particular sounded like a very abstract minimal tune as opposed to minimal influenced dubstep, but with lots of bass obviously; it was slow too, about 130bpm I'd reckon.

It's 128bpm and called "Lazarus" and i've never heard such mad swung bongos. Heavy... and i dont mean 'darker than dark'. :)