Guybrush

Dittohead
This article contains some interesting statistics that illustrate the scope of the carnage.

Iraq's Ominous Numbers Game

According to figures compiled by the Brookings Institution at the end of May, the number of sectarian murders, carried out mainly by Shi'ite death squads against Sunnis, has risen noticeably in recent weeks after a drop-off that began in the latter part of February. Sectarian deaths are often described as "extra-judicial killings" (EJKs) and involve the abduction, torture and murder of the victim, with the body usually left on the street. In May, says the Brookings report, citing Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Peter Pace, there were roughly 700 EJKs across Baghdad. While still lower than the pre-surge figure of 800 in February, that's a substantial increase from the estimated 500 in each of March and April, the first two months of the surge. So far in June, about 20 bodies have appeared on the streets of Baghdad a day; at that rate, at least 600 murder victims will surface in Baghdad by the end of June. Meanwhile, the number of bombings targeting civilians in Baghdad, the chief tactic of Sunni extremists out to kill masses of Shi'ites, has remained roughly the same since the surge began, at about 50 per month.

From the beginning, however, the surge strategy relied heavily on the idea that the increased presence of U.S. forces would deter sectarian violence. That worked, for a time. The Mahdi Army, the largest Shi'ite militia, tacitly agreed to suspend its campaign of murder and intimidation against Sunnis as the surge got rolling in March and April. For two months, Shi'ite death squads largely checked themselves, even while Sunni extremists pressed a campaign of bombings that left 617 Iraqis dead in March and 634 dead in April. (In May, the fatalities from bombings fell to 325).

adruu

This Is It
i understand this has become sort of the Iraq War thread, but honestly, seeing the title get bumped every so often really bugs me. Can the mods just start another Iraq war thread please? Clearly we do not need to be stuck in the cul-de-sac discourse about whether this war was solely about keeping Saddam vs. removing him.

There was a few excellent pieces about post-cold war military tactics in the new Harper's but I will wait to post it later.

vimothy

yurp
I think this is worth a read, Scott Burgess pretty much summing up the liberal quandary:

Whether they're journalists, academics or neither, critics of America in general - and the conduct of the Iraq and Afghanistan actions specifically - need to look into their souls and ask themselves some hard questions. Here's one to get you started:

Honestly - in your heart of hearts, and as a first reaction - what would be your immediate emotional response to this headline?

A NEW ERA DAWNS IN IRAQ
IRAQI INSURGENTS LAY DOWN ARMS, CALL FOR 'PEACEFUL, DEMOCRATIC ELECTIONS' IN DECEMBER
JOY SWEEPS THE COUNTRY; ELECTRICITY, OIL PRODUCTION BACK ON TRACK - FULL RESTORATION SOON
JUBILANT POPULACE CHEERS TROOPS - BUSH, US 'VINDICATED'

Assuming for the purposes of this (admittedly unlikely) thought-experiment that everyone believed the story to be true, I think that the response of many anti-war westerners would be an immediate groan, and that there'd be much gnashing of teeth at likes of Kos and Democratic Underground (as when Saddam was captured).

Independent comment-writers, Guardian journalists, anti-war readers and peace marchers: What would your first, emotional response be? A groan, or a cheer?

You don't have to tell us the answer. Just ask yourself the question. Honestly.

- http://dailyablution.blogs.com/the_daily_ablution/2005/11/emotional_adole.html

luka

i dont think in thsese musics we are given insight into being sadaam tho tbh sounds dumb as fuck

craner

Beast of Burden

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Bet Galloway has a poster of him on his bedroom wall and spends hours gazing moonily up at him.

sus

I will devour it, of course.
Me when craner drops new writing