Turkish music

zhao

there are no accidents
had a listen to some clips. wild stuff. there are some similarities to the Matamussik album (which i had high expectations for but was pretty dissapointed with). great ideas and some constructions sound really good, but the disruptive cuts can be jarring, and defeats the groove a bit. over all pretty excited about this - wish i could get my hands on a CD or some mp3s...

hucks

Your Message Here
Cheers for that Turkish funk, Gavin. There's a Stone's Throw podcast of Turkish funk on itunes somewhere, equally great.

mms

sometimes
some good stuff from finders keepers.
i got an email from mustafa ozkent the other day, he does amazing old j j perry style pop electronic
the new dr ohno album on stones throw is turkish and middle eastern funk chopped up, it''s ace.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Don't.

Do check Muslum Gurses and Ibrahim Tatlises

Although Edip, Selda and Erkin Baba are untouchable god tier, (Ibo is a big fan of Erkin) this sage advice should be stamped to the head of every western hipster into turkish music, always lazily looking for the short cuts through rock and disco.

You want the underbelly of Turkey?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Koray's own upload it seems

Best record ever. Good thing is Spicer mentions that Koray was genuinely into the arabesk of Gencebay and co, so unlike most of the rockers of the time he had his eye on what the street music (or soul if you will) of Turkey was at the time. Whereas Manço was a bit of a huxter - he's not as highly rated in Turkey amongst those who know about turkish music of the time. Doesn't mean he's not without merit, and I do like him, but one struggles to love Manço.