Thread: Apple iPhone

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Apple iPhone

React!

What every respectable mugger will be wearing this season

battery's life not included

Hey Oh!

I think it looks cool but I was a bit shocked to hear it announced in a news item on BBC radio 4 news last night.
    Since when is a company making a new phone "news"?
    Maybe somebody at the beeb getting a backhander?

What is the point of all this crap? I already have a camera, a PC and a phone. The economy of the western world seems to revolve around buying useless gadgets.

Quote Originally Posted by swears View Post
    The economy of the western world seems to revolve around buying useless gadgets.
    true!

Quote Originally Posted by swears View Post
    What is the point of all this crap? I already have a camera, a PC and a phone. The economy of the western world seems to revolve around buying useless gadgets.
    I think this might be one of the few gadgets that isn't entirely useless. Mobile phones are having a very real impact on people's lives in Africa right now, the world's fastest growing mobile phone market, the elections in Kenya for example recieved mush higher turnouts because of text message rallying.

Devices that put the internet within reach are a good thing - this will inevitably mean all phones have to do this now, and the price will drop.

It's also an important development in the west, given how the iPod has become the tech icon of the decade. As much as I agree about how the world works and how much crap there is on the news, I think this is newsworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by MATT MAson View Post
    I think this might be one of the few gadgets that isn't entirely useless. Mobile phones are having a very real impact on people's lives in Africa right now, the world's fastest growing mobile phone market, the elections in Kenya for example recieved mush higher turnouts because of text message rallying.

Devices that put the internet within reach are a good thing - this will inevitably mean all phones have to do this now, and the price will drop.

It's also an important development in the west, given how the iPod has become the tech icon of the decade. As much as I agree about how the world works and how much crap there is on the news, I think this is newsworthy.
    I agree that the development of these all-in-one cellphone-camera-webbrowser-mp3player devices is really exciting and represents, i think, the biggest new thing since the personal computer.

HOWEVER, it really pisses me off that it's treated like apple invented this idea, when there are already products on market that do exactly what the iPhone does. Things like this from the iPhone website:
    iPhone also introduces an entirely new user interface based on a large multi-touch display and pioneering new software, letting you control everything with just your fingers.
    Oh you can control everything with JUST YOUR FINGERS??? Wow, man, that's fucking space age. I hate having to use my feet and elbows to control my current cell phone....

Quote Originally Posted by MATT MAson View Post
    I think this might be one of the few gadgets that isn't entirely useless. Mobile phones are having a very real impact on people's lives in Africa right now.
    Yeah, but not ones that cost $499.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    are there any contenders for the kind of functionality the iphone offers? does anyone have a blackberry, or any other recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    That's like saying "these mobile phones will never be everywhere because they cost two grand each" in 1985.

The mobile phone is having a huge, positive effect on the developing world. My wife and I run a non-profit media company and we have a camera crew in Guatemala right now making a film about people there home-brewing personal computers, phones, very advanced computers and software - it's wrong to think tech won't make a difference because it is expensive for a short time. It comes down in price, or its pirated.

There will be iPhone knock-offs and generic versions everywhere within twelve months, especially with Sony releasing this type of screen very soon.

Read a book. Paint a picture. Do some press-ups. Go for a walk. Bake a cake.

i don't suppose any of the non-apple pda phones sync with OSX calender do they? or even the MS Outlook variant for mac?

that blender is some serious s***!
    can be yours:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=170129995323