rinse fm playing minimal techno...

Blackdown

nexKeysound
is there any truth to this? i know there have been management changes over the last year or so, but i've always understood ammo and rinse to be quite separate enterprises.

geeneus and soulja have been working together for quite some time now...

nomos

Administrator
i have been told that ammunition are the new managers of rinse by someone who would know and have no reason to lie.
blackdown said:
geeneus and soulja have been working together for quite some time now...
interesting

i hope down the line sometime, someone writes a history of this stuff - the inside story of the biggest uk pirate of the decade. all the books and stories you see about pirate radio are about old white rock guys.

Last edited:

childrentalking

funny how that mix is in the main stuff that would'nt be classed as minimal, maybe villalobos has realised how boring that sound has become.

as far as I'm aware his sets have never been particularly minimal. maybe they were 4 or 5 years ago but certainly not recently.

on that last sentence...

if anyone has that audio of fuda guy (who says that take it easy man catchphrase a bit too much lol) over that princess superstar track, please post it up

i didnt know rinse was owned by sarah at ammunition now. interesting. theyre kinda taking over the whole scene arent they. its not quite going 'corporate' but the new entry cards to get in and the musical policy changes coupled with the fact its now run by probably the biggest company in the scene makes me wonder.... maybe they ARE trying to go legal.

i hope they dont totally oust grime from the line up.

im not saying anything

which obviously says a lot lol

they are trying to become a legal NET station though

also what is the lady's link with Defected House? anyone?

viktorvaughn

Doesn't a pirate have to go off air for two or three years before it can come back as a legit station? Or did i dream that?

Day seems dominated by UKG and funky house but the evenings are still dominated by grime and dubstep.

robin

Also what kind of crowd are you gonna get at a minimal/dubstep gig. Sure theres plenty of open minded heads who'll go purely for the musical experience, but theres gonna be alot more people who draw their identity from being part of a scene and the standard demographs of the two musics couldn't really be more opposite. The only way i could see it working is on a very small scale and at that point it isn't really a crossover anyway.

are the demographics that different?

what kind of people go to dubstep gigs?

there's not a huge amount of minimal techno in dublin,and hardly any dubstep,so i don't really have an idea of what the demographics are,i'd always kind of assumed that it was similar people who were into both,probably cause they're both genres that seem popular on message boards/in blogs,etc

lazybones

f, d , d+f , p.
yeh its more bloggers/forum types who like both quite alot .. met loadsa people who like one or the other but rarely the two (in "real life":rolleyes: )

elgato

I just dont know
Dubstep was sonically far closer to minimal - if you consider a genre to be the sum of its parts as opposed to a loose grouping of individuals who are not neccesarily connected and don't neccesarily share the same musical goals - two or three years back than it is now. Its far more cluttered these days and theres far more mid and alot less subltety.

Surely every good producer is aware of other musics and allows them to influence their style, i don't think just because Shackleton and Villalobos share a penchant for good percussion it means the two scenes are in any way merging. If producers stop looking for influence in the other interesting genre's and only listen to the type of music they make you get self imitating genericism.

Skream likes electro house and uses apreggios but no one talks about crossover in that direction, though because Pinch doesn't use many instruments - after all dubstep is minmal music - and different kick drum placement at times theres a lot of hype about.

Also what kind of crowd are you gonna get at a minimal/dubstep gig. Sure theres plenty of open minded heads who'll go purely for the musical experience, but theres gonna be alot more people who draw their identity from being part of a scene and the standard demographs of the two musics couldn't really be more opposite. The only way i could see it working is on a very small scale and at that point it isn't really a crossover anyway.

Didn't mean for this to be a miserabilist rant:)

all strong points. but its just a matter of perspective and interpretation... e.g. when i say crossover im not meaning on a huge scale, just that there may be elements of both which feed particularly off the other, and a small number of nights which bring the sounds together to pursue a common goal. either way not much point chatting about it i guess, just see what happens!

but

have a look at this

C

cyst

^Thats an absolute monster line up. First in ages I've seen that actually got me excited, unfortunately the cost of getting to london and back, and having a night out just isn't something i could afford.

I hope it sets a precedent for diverse line-ups and completely disproves my point about demographics, I would say though that its far more likely to work with Nine playing to the saturday night fabric crowd than Luciano playing DMZ.

Yr right about there being little point in chatting about it, I just read the posts on the topic as predicting something larger than they actually were, and fealt those predictions were unjustified. :)

elgato

I just dont know
I hope it sets a precedent for diverse line-ups and completely disproves my point about demographics, I would say though that its far more likely to work with Nine playing to the saturday night fabric crowd than Luciano playing DMZ.

Yr right about there being little point in chatting about it, I just read the posts on the topic as predicting something larger than they actually were, and fealt those predictions were unjustified. :)

apologies, the comment was not directed at you at all, sorry, it was throwaway but i see now i shouldve been more specific.

imagine luciano at dmz lol. 100% agree. i think kode9 is a superb choice for that lineup, i think he'll appeal to a quite diverse crowd

dogger

Sweet Virginia
have a look at this

"What would be more interesting would be a night with one room of minimal and one room of dubstep... until that happens the much mooted crossover will remain little more than a pipedream I suspect." - gek-opel

then they go one better and have minimal and dubstep in the same room....

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
"What would be more interesting would be a night with one room of minimal and one room of dubstep... until that happens the much mooted crossover will remain little more than a pipedream I suspect." - gek-opel

then they go one better and have minimal and dubstep in the same room....

You just won the award for the best name on here m8

viktorvaughn

Oh my gosh...silly big line-up. Wish i could have made it to this one rather than last friday's. Of all the dubstep DJs Kode9 is a great choice - though his selection last friday didn't light me up as it has before. Be interesting to see what he draws for.

yeh its more bloggers/forum types who like both quite alot ..

Nah, I reckon there must be more to it than that. I'm just guessing, same as everyone else, but I notice little signs, like when you click on a minimal tune at Boomkat, you often see that customers who bought this also bought lots of dubstep. and hardwax - the heart of berlin's techno empire, has a pretty comprehensive dubstep section now. I think maybe its techno ppl drawing influence from dubstep, more than the other way,at the mo'...but we'll see. \minimal techno on Rinse is certainly an eye-opener...!

dogger

Sweet Virginia
Oh my gosh...silly big line-up. Wish i could have made it to this one rather than last friday's. Of all the dubstep DJs Kode9 is a great choice - though his selection last friday didn't light me up as it has before. Be interesting to see what he draws for.

so did anyone else make it to this? unfortunately they put kode 9 on at the start of the night (tho admittedly in room 1), so i missed the first half of his set. he didn't seem to be making any concessions to the fabric saturday crowd in terms of selection, playing a similar spread of stuff to what i've seen him play in the past. i.e. lots of dmz and tempa, mixed with a healthy dose of grime. rhythm and sound played straight up dub for two hours.

but as for this night hinting at any kind of *crossover*....to be honest the dubstep and techno sets were pretty discrete, the big exception i noticed being half hawaii's new record (which sounds *amazing* over a huge system btw), which craig richards opened his set with. luciano's set was fantastic, but he didn't play anything dubsteppy (at least not while i was there). then again i've never heard him spin dupstep.... i do think villalobos would've been a better choice from a crossover-inducing point of view.

all that said, it was a great lineup, and all credit to the organisers for not just sticking kode 9 in room 3 as a "chillout"...