rinse fm playing minimal techno...

elgato

I just dont know
but as for this night hinting at any kind of *crossover*....to be honest the dubstep and techno sets were pretty discrete

i disagree quite strongly... i would have said kode9's set was almost a showcase for the new sounds developing from dubstep towards techno. a lot of (what i assume were) his own productions were sounding very techno-influenced also. one tune sounded like dancehall taking on mouth2mouth. but yeh i thought he quite specifically tailored his set to the night, and imo it was all the better for it.

it was also immensely gratifying to hear The Grind by The Peverelist come crashing into Luciano's set at peak time! absolutely devastating on that sound system, it was one of the best moments of the night without a doubt. very satisfying. overall i must confess to being disappointed by Luciano's set, a bit too big room for my tastes, not deep enough. moments of glory (his For Discos Only track was incredible in that environment) but overall underwhelming :(

can any fine person ID me two tracks from Luciano's set please? - both vocal tracks, one saying something about a Beautiful Day? a nearby punter told me its also on a Miss Kitten mix cd...i seem to remember it being mentioned on a thread on here before? and the second with the refrain "You are my love... You are my dreams"

childrentalking

and Luciano in Fabric is definitely fairly big room. a lot of the time he's not a 'minimal' DJ really... banger after banger after banger. amazing DJ, I think, great fun. you should check out a Villalobos set at Fabric if you want something deeper (don't necessarily judge him by that 2hrish mix from the birthday party... when he has 4-5 hours to himself he stretches out a lot more)

elgato

I just dont know
1/ Blaze - Lovlee Dae
2/ Larry Heard ft Mr White - The Sun Can't Compare

you sir are a don, thank you so so much

yeh it made sense to play the set he did, and i could appreciate that it was very good, but it was just a bit too banging and relentless for me that night, i guess i was flagging a bit too following a very hard four hour work out to kode9 and r&s. although one massive benefit of the domination of hard, colourless techno was that when aforementioned tracks segued in it felt like the heavens opening up, some seriously emotive moments

childrentalking

did he stretch out Mr White for 15 minutes again? when he did that at 8am in December (I'd never heard the tune before) it was one of my favourite musical moments ever. chemically enhanced.

elgato

I just dont know
it definately lasted a long time, but how long i cant be sure, probably around 10 minutes i guess

but yeh it was a truly great moment, i left the club immediately after, i wanted to leave on a proper high, and thus i made my journey with the glorious melody running over and over in my head. sick. thats a proper secret weapon, and the sign of a great dj

dogger

Sweet Virginia
i disagree quite strongly... i would have said kode9's set was almost a showcase for the new sounds developing from dubstep towards techno. a lot of (what i assume were) his own productions were sounding very techno-influenced also. one tune sounded like dancehall taking on mouth2mouth. but yeh i thought he quite specifically tailored his set to the night, and imo it was all the better for it.

mm maybe i just haven't been listening to enough dubstep recently! you're right, there was a period where he played more crossover-y stuff like left leg out, and lots of stuff i didn't recognise, but he finished with a fairly lengthy section of vocal grime as far as i remember (which admittedly is not that clearly...) i'm really not trying to detract from the quality of his set - it was one of the best i've seen him play.

it was also immensely gratifying to hear The Grind by The Peverelist come crashing into Luciano's set at peak time! absolutely devastating on that sound system, it was one of the best moments of the night without a doubt. very satisfying. overall i must confess to being disappointed by Luciano's set, a bit too big room for my tastes, not deep enough. moments of glory (his For Discos Only track was incredible in that environment) but overall underwhelming :(

bollocks - missed him dropping the peverelist track! guess i have to take back what i said then :) yeah the for discos only tune was pretty mindblowing on the fabric system...

can any fine person ID me two tracks from Luciano's set please? - both vocal tracks, one saying something about a Beautiful Day? a nearby punter told me its also on a Miss Kitten mix cd...i seem to remember it being mentioned on a thread on here before? and the second with the refrain "You are my love... You are my dreams"

haha i was going to ask the same question - that second track in particular has been haunting me since sat night - cheers childrentalking for the info! also can anyone ID the last track in craig richard's set - quite techy, with some great bongo action, and a vocal hook saying what sounded like "save afri-caaaa"? one of those epic tracks that seem to go on for ever without getting boring.

elgato

I just dont know
mm maybe i just haven't been listening to enough dubstep recently! you're right, there was a period where he played more crossover-y stuff like left leg out, and lots of stuff i didn't recognise, but he finished with a fairly lengthy section of vocal grime as far as i remember (which admittedly is not that clearly...) i'm really not trying to detract from the quality of his set - it was one of the best i've seen him play.

this is true, you're right. at the end he started playing different stuff, the jah war remix and sensi dub and that. but from about 45mins in til 1hr45 it was unreal, some amazing new sounds and styles pushing through. 2d sounded absolutely disgraceful. and that second to last track, the slo-mo synth funk thing, was unlike anything ive ever heard

yeah the for discos only tune was pretty mindblowing on the fabric system...

it was so intense, the strobes and lazers exposing the writhing crowd with that glorious female vocal wailing out over the massive warehouse space, over the incricate, flickering but pounding percussion :confused: super sick

appleblim

sooooooo gutted i missed this night....

sounds great...

so sorry, did LUCIANO drop 'the grind'?!! thats heavy!

so pitched down then?

would have LOVED to have heard it dropped on that system....

appleblim

PS - 'lovelee dae' - what a tuuuuuuuuuuune!

absolutely sumputous.....such a melancholic tune, even though its got such happy lyrics....sublime...

dogger

Sweet Virginia
thanks alot i've been looking for sites like these.

yeah cheers for those.

another good one is www.4four.org. you have to register, but you can then sign up for weekly email digests of new sets which is handy....particularly loving the pan-pot set from there that went up last week - typically brilliant and twisted stuff.

elgato

I just dont know
sooooooo gutted i missed this night....

sounds great...

so sorry, did LUCIANO drop 'the grind'?!! thats heavy!

so pitched down then?

would have LOVED to have heard it dropped on that system....

yeh thats it, pitched down, sounded weird but completely sick, gave it a more lazy, lolloping (good word no?) groove, sounded massively funky but really really driving

luvelee dae is indeed a beaut, as you say its the tinge of contemplation and melancholy that makes the joy all the richer. such incredible emotion. need to make that purchase

elgato

I just dont know
im afraid i cant say, i didnt know the track previous to the night so it may have gone by un-noticed