Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Environmental Collapse: when and how bad?

but the arctic farts are pretty damn scary no???

theres no harm in getting more trees into urban spaces, it's a drop in the (rising) ocean but it's still positive, controlling amazon deforestation is the key - last time I heard it was something like an area the size of jupiter gets destroyed every minute - but seriously that's the one massive thing that mans could get to sorting...

This kind of thing right?

http://www.trendhunter.com/trends/pa...n-at-athenaeum

Looks cool but yeah, you'd think it would be easier to not cut down the rainforests and not build vertical gardens in the cities. How much difference would it really make if the whole of London actually looked like that?

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    How much difference would it really make if the whole of London actually looked like that?
    To global CO2 levels? Obviously nothing you could measure, even in principle.

To London's appearance, and probably air quality as well? Shitloads of difference. Edit: not that London is necessarily the best city to be decked out in vertical farms (can't read that phrase without thinking of Tamara Beckwith on Brass Eye) but, well, trees generally pretty the place up a bit, anyway. Considering how densely built up London is I think it has a very decent amount of greenery in it.

Obviously climate change is The Big One but there's more to environmental issues than just the capital-e Environment. Something that makes a single city a cleaner, more attractive and generally more pleasant place to live has got to be worthwhile, I reckon. Assuming the infrastructure for it hasn't all been manufactured in a grotesquely carbon-intensive way in some industrial hell-hole in China.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 14-12-2011 at 05:28 PM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

yeah stuff like that. and that alien biodome vertical farm in Dubai too...

but i was thinking of this "vertical forest" thing in Milan. and look they actually building it now. i hope dry branches falling during winter carried by wind don't smash through the windshield of a bus.

if i'm honest, and allow myself to step away from the good humor which is necessary to get by on an everyday basis, i think the time to start with the utter hopeless despair was probably a few years ago.

the deforestation has not stopped hardly at all. biggest polluting countries ignoring kyoto.

i mean what can anyone do at this point to stop those tens of thousands of 1000 meters diameter methane fountains? and this is during WINTER.
    Last edited by zhao; 14-12-2011 at 05:36 PM.

Yeah, if you read that article then it says something about pumping water through the thing. I guess it's arguably a better use of resources than a not-for-the-locals golf course in Spain but maybe not the best possible use.
    Edit: that's a reply to Mr Tea

Zhao - I fear you're right about the time to despair. I don't honestly believe that this will ever get truly sorted and the world economy will somehow redesign itself as a sustainable system, my hopes are more along the lines of it being maybe a couple of hundred years before everything goes properly tits up rather than twenty years. Maybe that's selfish or maybe it's just realistic.
    Last edited by IdleRich; 14-12-2011 at 05:45 PM.

^^ basically. that and i am so glad i don't have any kids. that i know of.

Quote Originally Posted by you View Post
    something like an area the size of jupiter

That said, yeah, it is pretty fucking shocking the rate that it is getting destroyed. What would be an excellent solution is to release a gas over all South America that stops all machinery from working as soon as it enters it.

is it just me or are bbc presenters sounding thicker and thicker nowadays?

"Two UNSW professors publish new research predicting that at current rates of GHG emissions, the 22nd century could be 25 degrees Fahrenheit (14 degrees Celsius) hotter, which would make the outdoors uninhabitable for humans and most animals."

http://planetsave.com/2010/05/05/fut...n-liveability/

think you missed the right url? I'd like to see the map

Quote Originally Posted by dert View Post
    think you missed the right url? I'd like to see the map
    no i meant to link to that article. but just tried to find the london interactive map originally posted by woebot but couldn't... anyone?