Environmental Collapse: when and how bad?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
A small ray of light: apparently worldwide honeybee populations have been rising, not falling, for decades, and the widely reported 'bee-pocalypse' is the result of commercially motivated pseudoscience and the woozle effect (whereby reports cite other reports as if they were original research, and reports cite the reports that cite reports, giving the false impression of a large body of evidence).

https://geneticliteracyproject.org/...trophe-narrative-that-hurts-bees-and-farmers/

Dusty

Tone deaf
I have a fascination with https://www.floodmap.net/

Raising the sea level by 1m puts my property at risk. 2m sea level rise and I'll need a boat to get to the local Co-op.

This has bothered me so much that I am now seriously committed to moving house next year. Admittedly to get away from the thin walls and the neighbours, but one of the key purchasing criteria when choosing a new property will be elevation above sea level.

Am I paranoid, or am I ahead of the curve.

droid

I have a fascination with https://www.floodmap.net/

Raising the sea level by 1m puts my property at risk. 2m sea level rise and I'll need a boat to get to the local Co-op.

This has bothered me so much that I am now seriously committed to moving house next year. Admittedly to get away from the thin walls and the neighbours, but one of the key purchasing criteria when choosing a new property will be elevation above sea level.

Am I paranoid, or am I ahead of the curve.

Just sensible. When I bought my house in 2004, the fact that it was 79m above sea level was a significant factor in my decision.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Bushfires in Australia are so huge they are creating their own weather systems:

http://theconversation.com/firestor...te-their-own-ferocious-weather-systems-126832

Which can create 'dry lightning' (lightning with no accompanying rain) tens of km from the original fire, which of course can then start new fires.

file-20191112-178516-1qzj1pp.png

My brother's in Tasmania - thankfully not affected - and tells me they government has instituted a new alert level above "catastrophic". It's called "too late to leave".

Happy near year, everyone!

version

The bushfires are some real Old Testament stuff. Apparently the firemen can hear the koalas screaming in the trees and the sky's turned blood red. The smoke's now made its way to New Zealand too.

Australia fires: Smoke turns New Zealand skies 'eerie' yellow

Smoke from huge bushfires in Australia is drifting as far away as New Zealand, 2,000km (1,200 miles) away, leading to haze and a burnt smell in the air.

Australia is grappling with bushfire crisis fuelled by record-breaking temperatures and months of drought.

The smoke first reached New Zealand's South Island on 31 December turning skies a hazy yellow.

Since then, the south's famous glaciers have vanished in haze and even North Island has seen its skies turn "eerie".

_110367941_befunky-collage3.jpg

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The Aussie PM, Scott Morrison, sounds like a right piece of work. He's a pro-coal fundamentalist and was on holiday in Hawai'i over the new year period while all this shit was (and still is) going on. Apparently he said there was "no need to panic", which is easy enough to say when you're not burning to death.

Our own mistersloane has confirmed to me that he's not toast (yet).

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Well yeah, Morrison's party was elected last year while running on a defence-of-fossil-fuels platform...what the actual fuck. I have to say, that puts the UK's insane self-destructiveness into a worldwide context. Apparently the area of the bushfires is at least 1/7 the size of the UK

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
And of course it goes without saying that each big fire represents a huge amount of carbon being released into the atmosphere.

version

Also who's to say it won't continue to happen in the future and how do you rebuild with that in mind?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
He apparently once brought a lump of coal into parliament and said "This is a piece of coal. It's OK, it won't hurt you..." and so on.

If any politician feels the need to use a physical prop to make a point, it's bound to be a really shitty and stupid point.

Leo

just saw this, rather alarming...

• Let this sink in: 18 of the warmest 19 years have occurred since 2001, according to NASA. We just experienced the warmest decade ever. And six of the biggest 20 fires in California historyare burning now.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
just saw this, rather alarming...
Aren't California's terrible droughts man-made, to at least some degree, due to the way water is used there? Specifically, I understand some huge proportion of it is used by farmers who produce outrageously water-intensive crops like almonds and apricots.

borzoi

i grew up in california and lived there until 3 years ago and the sudden onset of apocalyptic fire stuff every year like clockwork is so freaky. never happened when i was growing up and now it's just another part of the news cycle every late summer. my grandparents are in a big apartment complex in sf and were taking long walks in the park every day to stay sane and now they can't even do that, awful compounding disasters.