Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Environmental Collapse: when and how bad?

here it is

is that the ocean, woops?

Quote Originally Posted by dert View Post
    is that the ocean, woops?
    yes, sorry i got the drowned world map mixed up with the interactive flooded london one.

hope all dissensians in scotland and ireland will be safe from ophelia!

maybe i just haven't been paying attention but since when do you guys get hurricanes??

1961, 1839. Occasionally get hit by major storms after Atlantic hurricanes.

As the Atlantic warms the areas warm enough to support hurricane formation expands. Ophelia is going to be a fucking disaster here and is also currently fanning massive wildfires through Portugal and Spain, both of which are running a 6-9 degrees hotter than usual October with 60% lower than usual humidity. Climate change increases the likelihood of hurricanes in Western Europe and this will become the new normal.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...grl.50360/full

"Our model simulations suggest that tropical hurricanes might become a serious threat for western Europe in the future. Hence, we anticipate an increase in severe storms of predominantly tropical origin reaching western Europe as part of 21st global warming."

Europe's future. Scorched by wildfires and heatwaves, chilled by sudden freezes and swamped by deluges on the continent, ravaged by hurricanes at the coasts.

Better get used to it folks.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

3 dead. 330,000 without power. Serious damage in the south and south east.

We were very lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    hope all dissensians in scotland and ireland will be safe from ophelia!

maybe i just haven't been paying attention but since when do you guys get hurricanes??
    I remember The Big Storm of 1987, which I think wasn't a hurricane per se but reached hurricane strength. The devastation it wrought was pretty impressive to a 6-going-on-7-year-old. And probably even some of the adults, too.

Annoyingly I slept right through it.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

I had a dream last night/this morning about reducing sea levels by flooding Death Valley with seawater from the Pacific. Did some sums and unfortunately it would only impact sea levels by about a tenth of a millimetre.

Apparently someone has already worked out the sea level drop due to flooding all the world's areas that are below sea level (some of which are inhabited, in any case - like most of Holland) and it's still only about two centimetres, or less than a decade's worth of rise.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 07-05-2019 at 10:56 AM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Weirdly I saw a programme (well a bit of it) last night about Death Valley and the way it might change with the changing climate. In short those magic moving stones may no longer move and there seems to be an increase in the population of an incredibly rare fish that lives in the Devil's Hole. They said that this might be some kinda canary in the coalmine type thing for the rest of the world but I kinda stopped paying attention at that point so I'm not sure how.

Its this simple. Without radical transformation in the next decade we will see environmental collapse within the next 15-20 years followed by societal collapse. Business as usual will lead to an almost uninhabitable planet by 2100.

Top item on the bbc news last night https://www.un.org/sustainabledevelo...dented-report/
    Usefully drawing the frame around "Nature" rather than controversial "climate change"

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    Its this simple. Without radical transformation in the next decade we will see environmental collapse within the next 15-20 years followed by societal collapse. Business as usual will lead to an almost uninhabitable planet by 2100.
    so we're fucked

50/50. It depends on the choices we make.

It was 84 degrees near the Arctic Ocean this weekend as carbon dioxide hit its highest level in human history

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weath...=.858393fd7c37