Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Environmental Collapse: when and how bad?

nomadologist Guest

Germans are great about clean energy. I want to move there anyway, but if people really think the Pentagon report was "leaked"...god help us all. (i know i know arnie is austrian.)

And I wouldn't underestimate the Republicans and any potential PR bounce-back. As soon as conservatives start talking about global warming, they'll have a very neat and tidy 4 point plan that every middle american will think sounds just great and plausible and the liberals won't have one, and everyone in the center will think "well, at least the conservatives have a plan..."
    Last edited by nomadologist; 31-01-2007 at 08:29 PM.

To be honest the simpler answer is that the Pentagon are scaremongering (or worst case scenario envisaging) in an attempt to maximise military spending, which I guess is part of their function. The solutions the Pentagon will be interested in lie not so much in reducing emissions, or even pretending to do so in an attempt to fool the country into continuing to hold behind the Republican agenda, but rather to militarily secure borders, resources and international interests.

nomadologist Guest

yup, Gek. and look it how it will probably work! (by which I mean keep them in office)

I was in Berlin over New Year. Great city, but if the Germans want to be 'clean', they can start by encouraging dog owners to clean up their pets' shit. Fucking place was carpeted with the stuff. Same in Geneva, where I used to live. The habits of (most) British dog owners are one thing we can hold our heads high about compared to the rest of Europe - it's got so bad in Paris they have dog-shit-cleaning teams on the streets armed with these big poo-hoovers...

nomadologist Guest

i live in bushwick in the middle of a bunch of tortilla and processed meat factories. dog shit is what the rats knaw on. i got bronchial asthma just from all the pollution and infestation problems.

I know that they share a lot of interests, but are the Pentagon and the Republicans really to be so IDENTICALLY mapped onto each other? Is that not a touch simplistic, like lobbing all "fundamentalist muslims" into a single category... and presuming that strategically they are all pursuing identical aims?

nomadologist Guest

It's of course too simple, but I don't know that the Pentagon isn't, for all intents and purposes, a solely conservative force in American politics lately. Think about the history of the C.I.A. --people seem to really conflate U.S. intelligence agencies with "conservative," and I don't think the Pentagon is much different.

Is there an echo in here?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    In any case, this report came from the Pentagon, not the Reps per se..

Sorry I got bored reading the middle bit of this thread.

That was the BEST BIT!

*harrumph*

"Poo-Hoovers" is the best term ever used in a global warming debate.

nomadologist Guest

Edit: your quote from Wiki is someone's opinion. I linked to it to show how ice ages have happened in the past, which is verified science.

o really? how/where/when did they verify what happened 100,000 years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by nomadologist View Post
    o really? how/where/when did they verify what happened 100,000 years ago?
    By analysing ice cores taken from places like Antarctica and Greenland, from which the relative abundances of atmospheric gasses and ratios of oxygen isotopes can be used to reconstruct the climate in the past, as these things vary with average global temperature. There are features that vary between summer and winter, allowing scientists to count back through the years.

It has to be said, I find it a little disengenuous of you to doubt these reconstruction techniques, as you based your whole argument against man-made global warming on the apparent inevitability and regularity of glacial/interglacial periods, which we know about (mainly, I think) from ice-core analyses...

By analysing ice cores
    also I think rock sedimentation from millenia old volcano eruptions can be used to collect all kinds of data...

There are probably a hundred different things people have looked at to try and reconstruct temperatures in the past. If they all more-or-less agree it starts to look like a pretty accurate indicator.