Environmental Collapse: when and how bad?

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah, if you read that article then it says something about pumping water through the thing. I guess it's arguably a better use of resources than a not-for-the-locals golf course in Spain but maybe not the best possible use.
Edit: that's a reply to Mr Tea

Zhao - I fear you're right about the time to despair. I don't honestly believe that this will ever get truly sorted and the world economy will somehow redesign itself as a sustainable system, my hopes are more along the lines of it being maybe a couple of hundred years before everything goes properly tits up rather than twenty years. Maybe that's selfish or maybe it's just realistic.

Last edited:

slowtrain

something like an area the size of jupiter

Jupiter_and_Earth_compared.jpg

:eek:

That said, yeah, it is pretty fucking shocking the rate that it is getting destroyed. What would be an excellent solution is to release a gas over all South America that stops all machinery from working as soon as it enters it.

zhao

there are no accidents
think you missed the right url? I'd like to see the map

no i meant to link to that article. but just tried to find the london interactive map originally posted by woebot but couldn't... anyone?

Leo

hope all dissensians in scotland and ireland will be safe from ophelia!

maybe i just haven't been paying attention but since when do you guys get hurricanes??

droid

1961, 1839. Occasionally get hit by major storms after Atlantic hurricanes.

As the Atlantic warms the areas warm enough to support hurricane formation expands. Ophelia is going to be a fucking disaster here and is also currently fanning massive wildfires through Portugal and Spain, both of which are running a 6-9 degrees hotter than usual October with 60% lower than usual humidity. Climate change increases the likelihood of hurricanes in Western Europe and this will become the new normal.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/grl.50360/full

droid

"Our model simulations suggest that tropical hurricanes might become a serious threat for western Europe in the future. Hence, we anticipate an increase in severe storms of predominantly tropical origin reaching western Europe as part of 21st global warming."

Europe's future. Scorched by wildfires and heatwaves, chilled by sudden freezes and swamped by deluges on the continent, ravaged by hurricanes at the coasts.

Better get used to it folks.

droid

3 dead. 330,000 without power. Serious damage in the south and south east.

We were very lucky.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
hope all dissensians in scotland and ireland will be safe from ophelia!

maybe i just haven't been paying attention but since when do you guys get hurricanes??

I remember The Big Storm of 1987, which I think wasn't a hurricane per se but reached hurricane strength. The devastation it wrought was pretty impressive to a 6-going-on-7-year-old. And probably even some of the adults, too.

Annoyingly I slept right through it.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I had a dream last night/this morning about reducing sea levels by flooding Death Valley with seawater from the Pacific. Did some sums and unfortunately it would only impact sea levels by about a tenth of a millimetre.

Apparently someone has already worked out the sea level drop due to flooding all the world's areas that are below sea level (some of which are inhabited, in any case - like most of Holland) and it's still only about two centimetres, or less than a decade's worth of rise.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Weirdly I saw a programme (well a bit of it) last night about Death Valley and the way it might change with the changing climate. In short those magic moving stones may no longer move and there seems to be an increase in the population of an incredibly rare fish that lives in the Devil's Hole. They said that this might be some kinda canary in the coalmine type thing for the rest of the world but I kinda stopped paying attention at that point so I'm not sure how.