Great cover versions

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I preferred Russ Abbott's version of 'Atmosphere'..."
When I was at sixth form we always used to make that joke. Then years later I saw my friend emerge triumphantly from a charity shop clutching what - it turned out - he had really believed was Russ Abbott doing the Joy Division track.

"it's a cover"
lol you are so authoritative :)

ok, you're right but dick hyman definitely deserves credit for playing several hundred notes that aren't on the james brown version (or any other record ever!)

he was out there.......

crackerjack

That Dick Hyman one is great, but since this thread started with california Dreamin' I don't think we can let it die without mentioning Bobby womack's versh.

mms

sometimes
love is the drug - grace jones - sounds amazing - probably much better at 33 rpm incidentally.

Leo

ken boothe -- "is it because i'm black?" (syl johnson); everything i own" (bread)

sonic youth -- "bubble gum" (kim fowley); "hot wire my heart" (crime); "into the groove" (madonna, via ciccone youth)

redd kross -- "yesterday once more" (carpenters); everything on the "teenbabies from monsanto" covers ep.

television -- "satisfaction" (stones)

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
ken boothe -- "is it because i'm black?" (syl johnson); everything i own" (bread)

Oh god, everything an reggae artist covers is better. Norma Frazier "First Cut Is The Deepest", killer. Incidentally, does anyone know any good lovers covers of "Here Comes The Rain Again'?

crackerjack

Oh god, everything an reggae artist covers is better. Norma Frazier "First Cut Is The Deepest", killer. Incidentally, does anyone know any good lovers covers of "Here Comes The Rain Again'?

I do like the KB version (I think there's a great one by Delroy Wilson too), but i'm not having it that it's better than Syl Johnson.

One standard best heard reggae style, though, is Fever. Junior Byles' cut is awesome and shits on every other version I've heard. Marcia griffiths and Al Brown also do brilliant covers of Here I Am.

shudder

I once heard a sweet (literally, drippingly so) reggae cover of Take That's 'Back for Good'. so good.

petergunn

plywood violin
That Dick Hyman one is great, but since this thread started with california Dreamin' I don't think we can let it die without mentioning Bobby womack's versh.

a good one, his version of "all along the watchtower" is really awesome...

also, the Eddie Hazel version of "california dreamin" is just next level...