Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: plants, they exist

Default plants, they exist

there was this one time i lived with people and relationships were severely strained, a very depressing time. when this happened i noticed the few plants we had stopped growing or whithered and died. this was the exact moment i realised they were living things. to be fair i didn't notice my brother and sisters existed until fairly late too but plants were always outside my field of vision, even when i was surrounded by them. i think it's to do with pace. plants seem lifeless to young people and we must seem a blur to them always.

if gardening is about an affinity with plants, a partnership, my gran's garden was a wild love affair. the house was always littered with sachets of seeds smuggled from different places, waiting to take root in her care. i remember the front and especially the back of the house, a dense oasis of ferns, flowers, delicate plants and an apricot tree, light piercing through the foliage. the toolshed was overgrown, everything was overgrown, but in a harmonious way. in her last years nurses and daughters began to discourage my gran's forays into the garden, and so it lost its colour and her mind faded away. today the garden is at the hands of my aunt and it is more organised, more neatly defined than it ever was with gran. a reflection of the way people shape things around them but more, i think, of how plants react to people.

this has to be the worst friday night topic ever.

How can young people be encouraged to take more interest in plants?

that might have something to do with the plants not being fed? i used to be very close to plants when i was little, possibly not hyperbolic to say i could name many dozens of varieties when i was about 4 years old, but i can't recall anthropomorphizing them

the finest among them were always those that did their own thing and didn't need to be nurtured

though it has to be said that daffodils are complete shits

i agree. there is controlled neglect as well, i like that.

i didn't realise i was anthropomorphizing. i don't talk to them, i think. no, actually i do! i'll be talking to rocks soon enough.

edit: sorry your post changed and the daffodils bit came up, i don't hate daffodils. i don't even know what they look like, actually.
    Last edited by bruno; 09-02-2007 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bruno View Post
    this has to be the worst friday night topic ever.
    Meh, I've started worse.

Plants are rubbish, though. I didn't think anything could be more tedious than animals, but I was wrong.

BBC's Private Life of Plants is fascinating. I wish the series was 100 episodes... best entertainment money can buy (or broadband download)

i absolutley love plants and i really wish i had a garden.
    i am hopefully going to do a beginners course in herbal medicine soon, i'm quite cynical about herbal medicine overall, but i want to prove myself wrong, also i'm hopefully going to do a course in mycology.

^^ i miss having a balcony or a deck. i used to have fantastic organic bucket gardens. notthing too elaborate, but i grew heaps of cherry tomatoes and basil. fresh pasta sauces all summer and pesto through fall and winter. i loved going out and getting my hands dirty with them. gardening can be really meditative.

a mycology course would be very cool. the audobon pocket mushroom guide is excellent if you're looking for one. i miss picking mushrooms with my grandparents. the ones in manitoba were more or less the same as the ones they picked in belarus so we'd go picking all the time between spring and fall. up at 4 am and in the forest as the sun came up. boletes, chantrelles, butter mushrooms - we'd come back with a car trunk full of them. supposedly french chefs would fly over to pick in that area.

this
    Quote Originally Posted by bruno View Post
    plants seem lifeless to young people and we must seem a blur to them always.
    made me think of this http://www.dissensus.com/showthread....newpost&t=5268
    Last edited by nomos; 11-02-2007 at 12:59 AM.
    BOOK: sound/bodies // paul.autonomic deeptime.net

I love picking mushrooms. Got quite a haul last autumn in Epping Forest on the outskirts of London. Made a huge pie and had enough left over for omelettes the next day. Would have cost a fortune buying that much in a supermarket, and they only stock a few common varieties.

Default Mushroom picking

... with John Cage

I once had a flatmate who bought a venus fly trap, but didn't really have any spare flies, so we fed it some cheese. Sadly it expired after a few days.

If anyone wants to recapture desolate early 80s despair, get some hydrangeas, they were all the rage back then. The flocked wallpaper of the plant world.

I wouldn't mind growing a sunflower, or a couple of screaming cacti, if they exist.

I used to be amusingly into my Cacti and Succulents (the same sort of thing but without the spines) as a child, they are quite good cos they withstand relatively large amounts of neglect. Then when they DO die, its hard to tell for quite a while. The difficult thing is to get the flowering Cacti to flower, never did manage that...