Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Increasing Physical Energy Levels

Default Increasing Physical Energy Levels

How can I do this?

Good question Craner;
    depending on one's basic health - one can get out and move that body,
    take regular walks and se what happens.
    Take up an easy form of Tai Chi- the people you see moving slowly early morning in the park,
    gets the blood and the "chi' moving.
    'Finding' Tai Chi some years ago was a revelation;
    after doing the simple moves a few times and 'getting into it' a bit,
    one can definitely feel the energy move in your body, some 'life' in there
    something you may be missing I am guessing ?

See if you get anything from trying this kind of thing,
    then meditating - tho' not strictly about 'energy level'-
    is another part of the body -mind' package and something to go onto along with weekly simple Tai Chi type movements and exercise .
    Once you feel or see some benefit, you can get hooked on doing it !

Go easy Mr. C

diet, physical exercise, enough sleep & at regular times, stop smoking (if you do), stop drinking/taking drugs (if you do any of those) or at least cut down, same goes for coffee. of those in terms of increasing physical energy I would say the most important is diet - which I guess you could extend out to include alcohol etc - which is crucial. I'll refrain from making specific dietary suggestions unless you're interested.

I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for, but having more energy is one of those things where there's kinda no shortcuts.

At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, it's surprisingly easy not to get enough sleep. And some people seem to need more than others to function well during the day.

As far as food goes, bananas are generally reckoned to be a very good energy source. Make sure you're getting enough vitamins, especially B vitamins, because you need these to metabolise whatever calories you're eating.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Sound advice from all above. I second the Tai Chi recommendation - I do some other internal arts but same difference really. Getting up and moving about on the regular, every 30 minutes or so, if you're in a sedentary office job, works wonders I think.

You're a kind of feedbaack system and doing stuff creates the energy/buzz to do more - that's providing you're not burning out and running on empty. I'd say being excited about new projects and new experiences is also part of this, so if you have the time and inclination, join a class or take a trip somewhere. Anything to kickstart the stimulation.

Body & brain , Padraig gets it right -
    first get the body together through better diet, good sleep, less poison(s) and stress relief -
    then the brain will follow.

Moderation, some balance and as Darryl points out- begin a system of feedback that can give some
    light at end of tunnel / goal(s) / results once you see or feel a result that you like !

Probably better to be hooked on something positive then not so positive habits ...

Thank you, all.

I did try Tai Chi once, but I couldn't get to grips with it. I was in a class with some British Tai Chi champion (this is, like, 15 years ago) and I was so bad, he'd spend the a lot of the session staring at me in disgust. One evening I went to a local fair instead of class and that was it really; never went back.

I do exercise: I swim, surf occasionally, walk and cycle most places. I went to a doctor recently and -- despite 7 years of constant abuse -- I am physically intact (apart from having a slightly high red blood cell count, 'though I don't know what this means; it certainly doesn't mean I should be tired all of the time).

I go to bed between 12-1am and get up about 8.30-9am -- that probably isn't ideal.

I've stopped smoking (almost, mostly) and drinking (regularly, or every night) and I don't take any drugs; I don't drink much coffee but I drink a lot more water than before and in a consistent fashion. This ought to help, right? What should I eat and when?

I start the day bright and perky but I'm failing by lunchtime, and then I'm tired after lunch too and it makes it hard to think, to concentrate: perpetual low-level fatigue, with no hangover or thyroid to blame it on.

I'd say being excited about new projects and new experiences is also part of this, so if you have the time and inclination, join a class or take a trip somewhere. Anything to kickstart the stimulation.
    Actually, this is probably the essential problem.

I could be talking out of my arse here but if you've quite recently cut down on booze and fags in a big way, it might just be that your metabolism is taking a while to adjust. A mild but lengthy withdrawal process, in other words. Where's nomad when you need her?
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Really? Shouldn't it give you more energy?

I'm sure it will eventually, but you might feel shitty while your body gets used to it. Nicotine and alcohol are both physically addictive, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    I'm sure it will eventually, but you might feel shitty while your body gets used to it. Nicotine and alcohol are both physically addictive, after all.
    Think you are onto something there Mr. Tea ...
    it can take a while to see the results of cutting back or cutting off.

Go to bed earlier (before 12), after an hour's rest from stimulation (tv, pc etc).

Eat porridge in the morn'.

Wank twice a day for at least 40 minutes at a time.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to grizzleb For This Useful Post: