New York vs. London

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I have a GCSE in Fortran and can just about get by in High Elvish.

Last edited:

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
you're missing the big picture

there is a certain type of person who cannot get that many jobs in the straight world.

society's underclass.

...also, be glad they're on their meds for the moment and probably living at a Y...most homeless in NYC are schizophrenics, etc., with no families--and hence nobody to force them to stay in mental hospitals. there are laws here that prevent the state from keeping people on involuntary holds for longer than 48 hours without threat of violence.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
@peter

That chef guy Anthony Bourdain just went to the taco stand outside the Tortilleria on Starr St. (Jeff stop in Bushwick) on his show. If you haven't been you should go it's amazing. The one with the big mural of mary on the factory door.

I used to eat there all the time it was right outside my doorstep. Never thought I'd see it on TV.

luka

i will go to new york one day. im sort of prejudiced against it though. seems like a grubbier version of london where they force all the black people to live together in some giant prison camp on the outskirts and they dont have any pretty churches and stuff to take the edge off the grim modern architecture.
plus they havent had any good music for 15 years.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
London's the most ethnically and culturally diverse city on the planet, the most cosmopolitan place ever to exist in the entire history of the world. We speak over 340 languages, compared to New York's 170.
FACT!
I PERSONALLY SPEAK OVER 340 LANGUAGES!

haha.
they speak 658 languages in Toronto, mind you.

@Peter

That chef guy Anthony Bourdain just went to the taco stand outside the Tortilleria on Starr St. (Jeff stop in Bushwick) on his show. If you haven't been you should go it's amazing. The one with the big mural of mary on the factory door.

I used to eat there all the time it was right outside my doorstep. Never thought I'd see it on TV.

that sounds well lush N :)

Bourdain does like his tacos

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

further OT but purely from the Mexican food in the States pov that stretch from Texas to California and Chicago are quality.

Last edited:

petergunn

plywood violin
@Peter

ha!

i was home at my parent's house watching their cable this weekend and saw this episode at the same time you did (3am)... i have been to that taco joint, damn good... tho, at this point, there are dozens of amazing taco spots in NYC... he hit up the flushing mall food courts for chinese, which was cool... the bronx and staten island got a little shorted, but PUNK ROCKER bourdain (nice thumb ring, dude) got to kiss David Johanson's ass, so all is well...

bourdain lost me when he started jizzing over Diner... it actually made me angry when the geek he was eating with said Diner's burger was his fav in the city... Diner used to be my only food option w/n 5 blocks and i grew to loathe the place, but the burger is specifically TOTALLY OVERRATED... a very mediocre meatball of a burger served on a (YUCK) brioche... brioche is such a shit option for hamburger buns... and w/ those meatball burgers, it means the first two and last two bites are nothing but bun... LAME! the burger at Corner Bistro destroys the one at Diner... shit, they should have tooken that spindley geek to Donovan's Pub in Woodside, Queens... that's a proper burger (order w/ cheddar and grilled onions)...

anyways, i still like bourdain, but sometimes i think is he is an ass... the whole pretense of "WOW, I AM GOING TO LEAVE IT ALL BEHIND AND MOVE HERE" whenever he is in rural asia really starts to play on my nerves...

pajbre

yeah i'm torn on bourdain. on one hand, he's a) obviously kind of a dick and b) has an irrational jihad against vegetarians, but on the other he did once interview mutabaruka and has talked a ton of shit on rachel ray

STN

sou'wester
To bring it back to US vs UK, he's not nearly half as much of a shithead as Gordon Ramsay.

pajbre

Really?! I'd like to see Mutabaruka having a go at Gordon Ramsay.

skip to 4.17 or so: <object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>