RIDDIMCLASH DOWNLOAD - John Eden vs Paul Meme. VOTE FOR THE WINNER HERE

Which Mix RULES THE DANCE?

• Total voters

martin

----
I shall give it until 11:30am on Friday this week and then decide, assuming I am still in the lead.

I know you've been strutting around like a 18th century show pony this last week, tossing your mane around, whinnying and standing on your hind legs while waving your front hooves around to impress the wee Jacobite girls, but the votes are far from in. Stelfox and MMS have yet to cast their influential votes. As have I (to cast my vote, not act like some demented pony). Once I receive the discs, I will need a good few days to scrutinise the contents of each mix. Shouting "Mastication for the nation!" might win you favour in some quarters but, I can assure you, it won't wash with some of the rest of us

john eden

male pale and stale
I await Matt and Martin's comments with some interest (and indeed MMS, Jenks Junior, Monkeysblood and all crew!).

I should clarify the point about my "strutting about like an 18th century show pony this last week."

Despite much baiting from Paul*, my strutting only commenced at 11:30am on Friday, as was appropriate.

*(including his gratuitous posting of pictures of military funerals! IS THIS HOW WE SHOULD HONOUR OUR WAR DEAD?!)

Last edited:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
right, i l've listened to them both, so-

john does a history lesson on the rhythm, moving throught the years, building nicely. plenty of scorchers with which i am well aquainted (was john re-using tunes? rodigan would notice!)

paul does a modern live juggling mix, quite different to the effects draped stuff he's done of late (which tbh, was the style i was really looking forward too), however, tune selection is excellent and made the delayed wait at leeds station a pleasure (particularly as whilst walking through the station yesterday, i was stopped and searched by the police under the terrorism act)

very different in style and execution (the joy of reggae!)

however, "paul meme buys his tunes on the internet" from eden jr (i guess?) sways me, and its the mix i'll come back to more often.

not a burial, more a blown fuse meaning an early shutdown for paul's sound

respect to you both- do it again!

Last edited:

martin

----
Well, I've heard Eden's mix. Not sure about the MC, I wish these honkies would stop trying to chat in patois, but this one barely bothers. Awaiting the Meme Machine's with baited breff.

D

dubversion

"Beyond The Implode" has a nice ring to it.

Or perhaps "Paul Meme's dibby dibby soundbwoy emporium: all drumpan catered for, be they dibby or dibby dibby".

I shall give it until 11:30am on Friday this week and then decide, assuming I am still in the lead.

Although actually I can't think of anything sillier than what it's called now, but that's Paul for you - diffrent strokes and all that.

maybe you could also insist that he fill that really annoying bit of white space at the top of his blog with a picture of you wearing a big crown? :)

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I really don't approve of competition and winners and all that sort of malarkey...however Eden killed it, sorry Paul.

john eden

male pale and stale
Well, I've heard Eden's mix. Not sure about the MC, I wish these honkies would stop trying to chat in patois, but this one barely bothers. Awaiting the Meme Machine's with baited breff.

She actually talks like that all the time*, it's a Hackney schools thing!

My Mum used to get a bit uptight about her saying "arks" rather than "ask" because of all the kids from jamaican families she's been hanging around with at nursery.

*Well, apart from using words like "dibby dibby" of course. But then she never usually needs to say that in our household, does she? :)

I reckon you will like Meme's mix as well Martin - be interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks to everyone who has downloaded and commented (and voted!)

Guybrush

Dittohead
I have only had time to listen to Paul Meme’s mix yet, but that was really good. I think it’s a little odd that one is 25 minutes long and the other 44, since there is a world of difference between the two formats. Will vote later.

martin

----
Many thanks to Paul for sending his mix through. I'll listen to both this weekend and cast my vote on Monday.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
There'll be more FX drenched stuff coming in the bloggariddims series.

This one was fairly "raw" - pure vinyl mix.

I'm very grateful for all the kind comments even if John is more likely to win - he does have one of the best collections in north east London after all, and following months of intense tutoring from me, he is now able to make a passable impression of mixing!

Funny though, I never saw the resemblance with Keith Allen before...

martin

----
Is that Josey Wales tune a dubplate? Or have you just played it to death?

I have to say that I appreciate the lack of a child on the Meme mix. No doubt you ensured that your wife and kids were firmly locked in the Anderson shelter at the bottom of the garden, with a stale crust of bread for sustenance, while you donned your smoking jacket, your butler wiping a bead of sweat from your top lip, before striding with purpose towards the oak-pannelled mixing chamber to cook up this epic. Whereas Eden was probably trying to stop his child from kicking the turntable as she ran riot in the living room.

Hmm...this'll be a close one. Especially as I just got a copy of Saxon vs Bodyguard through the post as well...

martin

----
I've cast my vote. It was a very close thing, but let's put it this way, I firmly believe children shouldn't be allowed near microphones...though Paul really should have done more than 25 minutes, that won't even cover a train ride from Kings Cross to Mill Hill Broadway! But I went for...

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Good god these are good.

I really like Paul's mix which feels more subtle and rootsy, but at the end of the day this is the answer rhythm, and you gotta have Lone Ranger and Eek a Mouse and Slim Smith in there. But at the end of the day, skanking was the winner, here.