Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheese. the rival thread.

Default Cheese. the rival thread.

first topic

stilton vs roquefort.

battle of the big boy blues

stilton if you're eating english food, roquefort if you're not.

'The blue mould that is found only in the caves of Roquefort is called Penicillium roqueforti It lives in the soil and ferments the cheeses. Bread is used to extract it from its enviroment. Round rye and wheat loaves are specially baked and left where the air-flow is strong. After six to eight weeks they are covered with mould inside and out. The crust is discarded, the crumb dried. Any bad mould is discarded. Eight days after production the white cheeses are taken to the caves, where they are pierced with needles. Carbon dioxide caused by fermentation in the pate escapes and spore-laden air is introduced. The mould multiplies until it spreads more or less evenly throughout. Then the cheese is wrapped in tinfoil in order to elinminate contact with the air and prevent bad mould. It is thus an aritifical enviroment that encourages the development of the mould. The cheese is wrapped four weeks after its arrival in the cave.'

from French Cheese
    by
    Dorling Kindersley.

man that roquefort sounds absolutely archaic, i like it!
    what you know about ips, we are the top boys in ips

wait till i tell you about the caves its made in! its the worlds second best cheese. a giant of cheeses.

mmmm cambozola for lunch
    that smoky flavour, with a hint of bleu..
    lush

cambozola - the cheese of the revolution, named after the writer of the seminal 'germinal ', the grimy tale of lliberté, equalité & fromagerie in the roquefort mines of the late 18th C France

Wish I could remember what this stuff was called, but I got it from an old-time cheese shop.

'It's a bit smelly, that one', the guy warned me. No kidding - it was wrapped in plastic, in a wooden box, in a tupperware container, in a closed fridge, and my housemate came down from his room upstairs to complain about the stink.

Tasted bloody good though.

you have got to get some wigmore in your life

Oh dear, my love of Applewood smoked Ilchester cheddar seems so... parochial.

Smoked cheese is wicked. It might be that Applewood stuff, but there's one smoked cheddar that tastes like bacon. Amazing.

Default halitosis

pont l'eveque can get quite big on the aroma front - ammonia...ditto epoisses & my recent favourite vacherin... all delightfully fragrant

heard a potentially apocryphal story of a women with a bad cough who happened to be a cheesemaker (camembert i believe)... went to the doctor who noticed a spot on the x-ray of her lungs... an operation was performed & a ball of camembert was removed from her lung... seems the close proximity of lady to camembert virus + lung issue had allowed colonization of latter be former... original halitosis

there's also a classic tale of woebot & cheese... not sure i can tell it without being banned though!

went on holiday near pont l'eveque a couple of years ago - made the error of driving back with a complete cheese, by calais we were glad to get out of the car - it was torture all the way back from Dover.
    surprised no-one's mentioned Neal's Yard dairy - one in covent garden but also one near borough market - mail order cheese (now there's a thing you need money for luka)

Last summer a couple of friends and I had the habit of frequenting a pub that put on a wonderful cheeseboard selection. Two hour cheese eating sessions coupled with a fair amount of red wine often resulted in distinctly grey/green poo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ach!
    Last summer a couple of friends and I had the habit of frequenting a pub that put on a wonderful cheeseboard selection. Two hour cheese eating sessions coupled with a fair amount of red wine often resulted in distinctly grey/green poo.
    I almost fell off my stool when I read that...