Cheese. the rival thread.

luka

'The blue mould that is found only in the caves of Roquefort is called Penicillium roqueforti It lives in the soil and ferments the cheeses. Bread is used to extract it from its enviroment. Round rye and wheat loaves are specially baked and left where the air-flow is strong. After six to eight weeks they are covered with mould inside and out. The crust is discarded, the crumb dried. Any bad mould is discarded. Eight days after production the white cheeses are taken to the caves, where they are pierced with needles. Carbon dioxide caused by fermentation in the pate escapes and spore-laden air is introduced. The mould multiplies until it spreads more or less evenly throughout. Then the cheese is wrapped in tinfoil in order to elinminate contact with the air and prevent bad mould. It is thus an aritifical enviroment that encourages the development of the mould. The cheese is wrapped four weeks after its arrival in the cave.'

from French Cheese
by
Dorling Kindersley.

luka

wait till i tell you about the caves its made in! its the worlds second best cheese. a giant of cheeses.

sufi

lala
mmmm cambozola for lunch
that smoky flavour, with a hint of bleu..
lush
gm-6011.gif

cambozola - the cheese of the revolution, named after the writer of the seminal 'germinal ', the grimy tale of lliberté, equalité & fromagerie in the roquefort mines of the late 18th C France

Rambler

Awanturnik
Wish I could remember what this stuff was called, but I got it from an old-time cheese shop.

'It's a bit smelly, that one', the guy warned me. No kidding - it was wrapped in plastic, in a wooden box, in a tupperware container, in a closed fridge, and my housemate came down from his room upstairs to complain about the stink.

Tasted bloody good though.

Rambler

Awanturnik
Smoked cheese is wicked. It might be that Applewood stuff, but there's one smoked cheddar that tastes like bacon. Amazing.

rewch

halitosis

pont l'eveque can get quite big on the aroma front - ammonia...ditto epoisses & my recent favourite vacherin... all delightfully fragrant

heard a potentially apocryphal story of a women with a bad cough who happened to be a cheesemaker (camembert i believe)... went to the doctor who noticed a spot on the x-ray of her lungs... an operation was performed & a ball of camembert was removed from her lung... seems the close proximity of lady to camembert virus + lung issue had allowed colonization of latter be former... original halitosis

there's also a classic tale of woebot & cheese... not sure i can tell it without being banned though!

jenks

thread death
went on holiday near pont l'eveque a couple of years ago - made the error of driving back with a complete cheese, by calais we were glad to get out of the car - it was torture all the way back from Dover.
surprised no-one's mentioned Neal's Yard dairy - one in covent garden but also one near borough market - mail order cheese (now there's a thing you need money for luka)

Ach!

Turd on the Run
Last summer a couple of friends and I had the habit of frequenting a pub that put on a wonderful cheeseboard selection. Two hour cheese eating sessions coupled with a fair amount of red wine often resulted in distinctly grey/green poo.

mind_philip

saw the light
Ach! said:
Last summer a couple of friends and I had the habit of frequenting a pub that put on a wonderful cheeseboard selection. Two hour cheese eating sessions coupled with a fair amount of red wine often resulted in distinctly grey/green poo.

I almost fell off my stool when I read that... ;)

luka

that halloumi is good. fried cheese.

i go to that neals yeard place. i read in the standard that theres a good cheese shop in bethnal green. anyone been to that. i don't mind admitting to being intimidated by those sorts of places. feel a bit plebbish and like i'm going to be sneered at for not being able to pronounce things properly and that. a bit like people might feel about independent record shops or whatever. i break outin a sweat and that, get all nervous and self-conscious.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
halloumi is pretty much impossible to mess up i think, in any cheap eatery setting. and saganaki in any caff.

not being someone who gets all moist-eyed about cheeses and knows all the right pairings (my old man, for one), or, indeed, knows about cheese other than a very narrow prism of what he likes, it must be said my favourite use of cheese is probably in a quesadilla (esp. the classic 'big chicken' variety, using any old cheese of the swiss/pepper jack/American/Colby etc. type) or in chiles rellenos (green poblano peppers, Chihuahua cheese stuffed in all over the shop: sorted)
actually, jalapeno poppers too please, with some sort of dip.

Philip's concern he sounds parochial over a love of some Applewood product makes me worried.

if he is parochial, i'm bloody insular with my adoration for a nice crumbly Cheshire on me toast... ...it has been years since i have even ate any brie.

sufi

lala
cheese experiment

OK any nominations for which cheese to put in me sarnie this lunchtime
there is a well stocked deli within 100m of here....

in the interests of research i am willing to test any cheese available in brixton, submissions by post also accepted
mmmm

(i'm hungry so be QUICK)

Gerard

jenks said:
went on holiday near pont l'eveque a couple of years ago - made the error of driving back with a complete cheese, by calais we were glad to get out of the car - it was torture all the way back from Dover.
surprised no-one's mentioned Neal's Yard dairy - one in covent garden but also one near borough market - mail order cheese (now there's a thing you need money for luka)

In driving back to UK with Cheese I've found that returning to the car after fuel/coffee stop is the problem. Only then do you realise you've been couped up with a foul lactic miasma for 100's of k's.