Dirty Canvas with Roll Deep (23/03/07)

john eden

male pale and stale
Why, you doing anything fun?

:D

I think I now know what I'm getting for my 40th birthday from John!

That's right - a full-size cut-out of KT Tunstall!

I'll have you know that there is actually a place up here called Grimethorpe. And yes, it is ironic, I was on at John about grime for years but he ignored me - even ignored Kevin Martin bending his ear. It's all different now!

I do things at my own pace, innit. Getting that cut out on the train with a hangover is going to be a right mare.

gumdrops

i went to dirty canvas tonight, felt like a nob as i was a bit dressed up from the bar i went to before, found out the queue was fucking massive, then my friend cancelled on me so i decided to just go home. i hope it was shit. :p

benjybars

village elder.
i went to dirty canvas tonight, felt like a nob as i was a bit dressed up from the bar i went to before, found out the queue was fucking massive, then my friend cancelled on me so i decided to just go home. i hope it was shit. :p

sorry, but it was HEAVY:p

tom pr

Queue was not only massive, but had half the artists in it..

Ruff Sqwad were amazing. Roll Deep were good. After that, it was spoiled a bit by having a million MCs on stage; if it'd just been Plastician/Jammer/Bruza or something it would've been great.

Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
The Dirty Canvas nights have grown into something really special.Friday was a fantastic evening.The atmosphere was wonderful and it was great to see so many females in attendance {including a few onstage dancing with The Ruff Sqwad!}
The slimmed down Roll Deep were sounding like a more together unit than when I had caught them previously.It was nice to see Manga getting a chance to come more to the forefront.My only gripe would be that the inclusion of Killa P made the lineup a bit 'Yardie Flow' heavy
I only managed to make it into room two once in the evening to hear Silverlink play an interesting and eclectic set.His tune ''Love Is The Message'' is an intriguing mixture of Grime and Happy Hardcore that could be played back to back with Skepta's ''Stage Show Riddim''

john eden

male pale and stale
normal_plastician.jpg

We had to bale out about 1:00am cos I had to get up early the next day and have numerous disasters on the way to Paul's. So I missed Ruff and Roll and am gutted. But it was a great night anyway.

some photos here

I really liked Magic - who was the MC on early also? Plastician was pretty good but not exactly my thing. We'll be back.

See also Martin's account of our surreal pre-dirty canvas drinks here.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Fair enough, but...

DMZ has a big crowd and top selectors all the way from 8PM.

8PM!

Bargain.

Just shows that dubstep is a wee bit more organised than grime - they can even get their own artists into the building! Fancy that!

:cool:

john eden

male pale and stale
Fair enough, but...

DMZ has a big crowd and top selectors all the way from 8PM.

8PM!

Bargain.

Just shows that dubstep is a wee bit more organised than grime - they can even get their own artists into the building! Fancy that!

:cool:

Dupbstep:

Organisaton: FULL MARKS

Music: 5/10

Rabid, yet contextless, appropriation of Soundsystem Culture and rastafari: FULL MARKS

john eden

male pale and stale
It's also worth mentioning that Dubstep events don't face the same obstacles as Grime ones in terms of organisation.

In the same way that it was easier to organise a tea dance at a tory social club in the 1970s than it was to organise a reggae soundsystem event.

:)

john eden

male pale and stale
It's also worth mentioning that Dubstep events don't face the same obstacles as Grime ones in terms of organisation.

In the same way that it was easier to organise a tea dance at a tory social club in the 1970s than it was to organise a reggae soundsystem event.

:)

Sorry, it looks like I was comparing DMZ to a tory tea dance in that post, which is unfair as I haven't been to either.

Can anyone on Dissensus who has been to both events please post up a comparison here?

Thanks!