what did you listen to today?

zhao

there are no accidents
poppy nogood.

I take it you mean the saxophone cut ups with the Time-Lag Accumulator™, excerpts of the 8+ hour recording of which was released on... Table of the Elements(?), with the gorgeous ink drawing cover/fold out sleeve.

but this was a later (re)interpretation of the piece, which is very different from the original "Poppy Nogood". pretty much unrecognizable actually...

Octopus?

I take it you mean the saxophone cut ups with the Time-Lag Accumulator™, excerpts of the 8+ hour recording of which was released on... Table of the Elements(?), with the gorgeous ink drawing cover/fold out sleeve.

but this was a later (re)interpretation of the piece, which is very different from the original "Poppy Nogood". pretty much unrecognizable actually...

How is the excerpted reissue performance? I've been considering picking that up.

zhao

there are no accidents
How is the excerpted reissue performance? I've been considering picking that up.

good. heavy trip. layers upon layers of cut-up sax fragments forming labrinthyne mandala patterns... super psychedelic mind fuck. I don't play it often but def worth having.

I meant the Cortical Foundation (not Table of Elements)

Persian Dervishes also great ofcourse.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
good. heavy trip. layers upon layers of cut-up sax fragments forming labrinthyne mandala patterns... super psychedelic mind fuck. I don't play it often but def worth having.

I meant the Cortical Foundation (not Table of Elements)

Persian Dervishes also great ofcourse.

You're right Zhao, the reissue is total mindfuck, I listen to it alot, it's just unbelievable, I genuinely don't know how he managed to do it. What's the 8 hour one? Is it still available?

zhao

there are no accidents
You're right Zhao, the reissue is total mindfuck, I listen to it alot, it's just unbelievable, I genuinely don't know how he managed to do it. What's the 8 hour one? Is it still available?

the reissue is supposed to consist of segments taken from the 8 hour recording. don't think the original was ever released. imagine eating some acid in a temple somewhere with this blasting all night...

today:

Scott, Stephen - New Music for Bowed Piano

---- very nice sustained and otherwise sounds and textures.

Cowell, Henry - New Music: Piano Compositions By Henry Cowell

---- on first play, lovely

Newband - Newband Play Microtonal Works (1990)

---- very fine. ethereal. delicate.

Giacinto scelsi - complete chamber music for string orchestra

---- words fail...

tht

akstavrh
Giacinto scelsi - complete chamber music for string orchestra

---- words fail...

these are astonishingly good i agree, as is often the case with string orch compositions they are related to some of his quartets, also exceptional, the first is written in schoenbergian language quite distinct from the others

someimes i wonder how many other composers/writers and suchlike could sustain similarly long formal evolutions throughout their lives if they could afford to be as uncompromising as count scelsi

Last edited:

shudder

Saw Valery Gergiev conduct my local orchestra (the Toronto Symphony Orchestra) in a Debussy-Stravinsky program. The last piece was Debussy's magisterial La Mer. I know the piece very well, and I've seen it live once before (James Levine with the BSO), but WOW, it was something else tonight. Gergiev was somehow able to strike the perfect balance between driving the thing forward and making every gesture and sound-world come alive. On top of which he conducted without a podium and was basically dancing the whole time. He was so obviously in complete control of the orchestra, and was able to wring sounds out of them that our usual conductor, Peter Oundjian, NEVER can. I wish I could describe just how incredible the performance was. Makes you forget about the almost-century of bad Debussy pastiches in film scores since the piece was first performed.

zhao

there are no accidents
how many other composers/writers and suchlike could sustain similarly long formal evolutions throughout their lives if they could afford to be as uncompromising as count scelsi

there are many reasons why artists stop evolving... but I'm guessing one of them might be just a lack of gray matter upstairs... the ideas run out, can't come up with new ones, so stick with the same bag of tricks (whether commercially well received or not).

right now:

Scelsi - Complete Works for Clarinet. amazing what he does with this solo instrument...

edit - 40 minutes later: this collection just gets better and better as the album progresses... the last few pieces are so fucking gorgeous... to die for.

now I'm in Scelsi's Bot-Ba... don't know much about it except they are pieces for piano. breathtaking.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
Yes of course. I think you are correct.

Actually my favourite Riley might be that one on Shandar.

yes its rainbow in curved air -i need to get more of old tel's bits and pieces.

zhao i'm refering to the vinyl version.
cheers for the recommendations btw - absolutley loving his stuff at the mo so i shall investigate these.

been listening to some of those lovely pupp record type things today, prinns thomas sunny european disco

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
Dafeldecker / Tilbury / Hautzinger / Sachiko M - Absinth

Taku Sugimoto / Kevin Drumm - Den

Thomas Koner - Permafrost

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Zhao- been meaning to ask you about lowercase improv--- downloaded that +minus set off yr blog, really enjoyed it, excellent stuff... where to go next?

mms

sometimes
Dafeldecker / Tilbury / Hautzinger / Sachiko M - Absinth

Taku Sugimoto / Kevin Drumm - Den

Thomas Koner - Permafrost

koner is great eh? listening to a later one by him - zykop now.
his cd albums weirdly go for loads now.
such a shame they're not available no more, and i'm not sure if he does much .

i have bought or at least ordered the cortical foundation poppy no good all night flight on your recommendation. for once, it was twice the price on amazon rather than being the other way around which is encouraging.

Last edited:

Mollusc

mollusc
Polmo Polpo - Like Hearts Swelling
Clogs - Lantern
Stars of the Lid - And Their Refinement of the Decline.

I was feeling a little tender

zhao

there are no accidents
Zhao- been meaning to ask you about lowercase improv--- downloaded that +minus set off yr blog, really enjoyed it, excellent stuff... where to go next?

the Dafeldecker/Tilbury and company thing I mentioned above is amazing. so is the Sugimoto/Drumm. think I will post one or maybe both of those soon.

there should be more "quiet" new school improv stuff in the archive... I know a few jems such as Sugimoto's Opposite is on there. Graspy had did a special a while back. and also loads of it at the SFRP, you should look in the Improv or lowercase threads. did you notice my link to the 6 CD Japan Improvisition out of print box set? I posted it in one of these threads... that I haven't listened to just yet but looks awesome.

was watching the BBC's Life in the Undergrowth, documentary on insects, with a Dafeldecker project on in the background over the weekend while completely stoned... amazing.