what did you listen to today?

Jay Vee

Woke up to Wasteland live then various Italo things on the way to work ("Mr. Game"/"We Just"/"Tequila") then a (bad) mix of an Italo track I recently made followed by EPMD Classics and now it's Francois De Roubaix' "L'Homme Orchestre" sdtrk.

machine hugger

(())(())((+))(())(())
and thanks to the miami bass thread I'm now re-checkin' my post by listening to Tipper Sound Off. I'm right. Dubsteppin it goes.

puretokyo

Mercury Blues
Junior Boys "Last Exit" 2004
Elvis Presley "Elvis at Sun" 1955/2004
Cry-Baby OST ("Please Mr Jailer") 1990
Frisco Kid "Bashment Time" 2004?
Bookshelf Riddim Version
Dougla Riddim Version
C4 Riddim Version
Butta Riddim Version
Macka Diamond "Try Wid Him" 2004
The Birthday Party "Live 79-82" 1999
Ghostface Killah "My Guitar" and other unreleased tracks from "Pretty Toney" 2004

Just call me varied.

cortempond

Swervin all over the road

Started with some Behemoth
Good stuff to get you going in the morning.

Then settled down at work with:

Even as we speak - Feral Pop Frenzy
Jandek- Chair Beside A Window
Tim Hecker - Mirages
Paulinho Da Viola - ST
Joe Gibbs - White Label Dubs
Danny Krivit - Grass Roots Comp.
Faust IV

At home I've been playing Cannonball Adderley (David Axelrod produced), Mercy Mercy Mercy and 74 Miles Away.

cortempond

KOD were brilliant and are very missed

KOD were incredible, saw them twice in concert and Julian was able to get that guitar sound perfect. It's too bad they broke up. Their last album had some brilliant songs on it, but Love is Hell, with Third Time, Mainly Mornings, and Prize is flawless. Is the CD the one with the extra tracks on it?

Sadly, they were lumped into the whole shoegazer set, with Pale Saints, Ride, Chapterhouse, MBV, but they actually wrote good songs.

There's a two disc KOD set with an extra disc of rarities, but I don't know if I'm going to pick it up.

Are you going to pick up the Depeche Mode remix set? What does anyone think about it, other than flogging a dead horse into glue?

grimly fiendish said:
yesterday ...

in the car, first thing, on a drive to a pier:

joy division: substance (mrs fiendish's choice)
johnny cash: the man comes around

back home:

kitchens of distinction: love is hell
the cure: faith

on the bus, going out:

depeche mode: construction time again

in the pub:

aidan moffat DJing an awesome set, including black sabbath, pil and !!!

in a club:

some seventies soul. some eighties synthpop. some other stuff that i've forgotten

today

nothing yet. uuurgh, my head

mms

sometimes
parliament and funkadelic, and wondering why the fk there aren't any incredible mad bands like this (and don't say outkast)

that mathew jonson mix

a new album by harmonic 33 aka mark pritchard the forgotten man of mid 90's idm and one half of global communications on warp soon. It's a library music album with cinematic overtones and it's excellent and sounds very authentic.

machine hugger

(())(())((+))(())(())
I just saw the most fun fun band tonight. San Jose can really be fun. Problem is I'm really fucking drunk and can't recollect anything. Cheers.

shit, the Golden Gods, that's the name. Cockrockers.

Last edited:

puretokyo

Mercury Blues
mms said:
a new album by harmonic 33 aka mark pritchard the forgotten man of mid 90's idm and one half of global communications on warp soon. It's a library music album with cinematic overtones and it's excellent and sounds very authentic.

Ooooh. Bated breath.

Jim Daze

Y-Pants , awesome 99 records biznizz

Henry Cow, gotta persevere with this

loads of Serge Gainsbourg, "Lemon Incest" is my favourite, second to "Harley Davidson"

oh and I heard the sequel to the "Forward" track by Lethal Bizzle etc on a pirate the other night, Jamaka B lets rip once more...perhaps it's time to move on now.

polystyle

warm inside

On this chilly wet morning , with first edge of winter snow just to the North of city ,
listening to

the ol' "B2 Unit" album by Sakamoto
followed by Weather Report's "Black Market"

uncannydan

the bartlebees - you're so beautiful 7"
the passage - degenerates lp
the wake - here comes everybody + singles (ltm reissue)
television personalities - smashing time 7"

holla at me cherry red, little teddy, and factory

grimly fiendish

cortempond said:
KOD were incredible, saw them twice in concert and Julian was able to get that guitar sound perfect. It's too bad they broke up.

they were absolutely the soundtrack to my late teenage years, although i must admit they don't now resonate emotionally in the same way. i saw them live once, at king tut's in glasgow circa 1994: they were absolutely incandescent, so good i missed the last bus home to edinburgh in order to see the encore. rock!

they also had the best strobe light ever (although OMD in 1991 run them close). it was like the end of eraserhead.

i haven't got the rarities CD thing, but my friend andrew (who has a wonderful band called swimmer one, who don't sound anything like KoD but are shot through with their influence nevertheless) did me a tape of various B-sides etc. i must dig it out.

Are you going to pick up the Depeche Mode remix set? What does anyone think about it, other than flogging a dead horse into glue?

hmmmm. it's sitting there in the iTunes music store, daring me to buy it. but i haven't succumbed yet. when i posted that last message, i was rediscovering my immense (and partly forgotten) love for the mode: however, from what i've heard i don't think i hear/enjoy the same things about their music as most of their remixers.

that said: i know one day i'll be bored and i'll download it. there's a richard x mix of enjoy the silence that i'd quite like to hear, but i don't think it's on the album.

eightbit

cortempond said:

I was a huge DM fan back in my teens, with Violator still being one of my most listened to discs. The remix collection is okay. Not great. Most of them I already had on other releases.

The one track that stands apart is Goldfrapps remix of Halo. Really seem to like that one for some reason.

nick.K

gabba survivor
listening to st etienne / chet baker / juvenile / alan parsons / pulp / soft pink truth / MIA vs Diplo / some choice dylan and the new gwen stefani album + a live sam cooke set / jim white / al green / and all the stuff in my inbox, and it's great!