Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: what did you listen to today?

Quote Originally Posted by be.jazz
    Why is that? I like "Greetings" a lot, as well as a more acoustic/folksy comp I have, but picked up some others recently that seem a bit iffy ("Goodbye and Hello").

cos he's quite obviously a dick, an arrogant, mysogynist twart and there are elements of the record that ape blues singers and stereotypes of black men in such a way that he's almost playing a reverse minstrel if you see what i mean. I guess unconciously one of the things that i look for in music regardless of melodies and exciting music is empathy, would i get on with this person on any level, are they fascinating at all? On this record at least, other records he's less hateable but i find it hard to get over the fact that he is such an asshole.

listening to the radio for the past three days, (my hard-drives are dead) so it's been static, news from the US, classical, snatches of soul, dreary ol' rawk, but I've enjoyed all the raw garage.

sorted some speakers/amp now and I've listened to the Wu-Tang Hits album, diggin Janet Jackson - All Nite, anything by Juan Maclean, outkast, the latest mayer, and hours of john peel that I brought on disc. And not enough house...

captain easychord Guest

Quote Originally Posted by simon silverdollar
    an old logan sama tape where he plays the delicious track 'baby' where davinche makes like fennesz and wiley sounds so so sad.
    that tune is wicked! do you like the second version with kano? also on that tip... the last track on the creeper tape. i don't know what it's called, but it's got that same choppy, crystalline glimmer. "all the time" i guess? those helicopter noises are off the hinges.

be.jazz Guest

Listened to Fennesz's "Venice" yesterday... the first half, at least, is kind of new age for hipsters, IMO.

listening to the new villalobos cd again and i've got to say it is fantastic, i'm not a massive fan of minimaly techno but this is ace, really pulls you in, all shading and turning surfaces, funky and supple with the south american instrumentation of the first lp playing a very abstract part. It's lovely listening to it as the fireworks explode outside.

be.jazz Guest

Disc 5 of "The Complete Sonny Rollins Riverside & Contemporary Recordings." Kind of going into Rollins in-depth for the first time, flabbergastation is the dominant feeling.

annie - anniemal
    growing - the soul of the rainbow and the harmony of light
    the avalanches - since i left you
    yellow swans - bring the neon war home
    animal collective - live on the breeze block

Thumbs up

a DOWNLOADED mix by some guys called Nailer? good and it runs along the same path as Slimzees Bingo mix but a bit slower and a bit more sublo than upper jungle sped bpm. Tink I got it from UK Dance?? Ace.
    Jammin
    Menta
    Mark One
    Artwork
    Horsepower...ya' get the point! Any info on these guys?

C93-Thunder Perfect Mind. Nuff said!

the neighbors stop hammering out nails to their new part of the house so I now get some good ole' quiet time.
    Last edited by machine hugger; 06-11-2004 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Capitalisation on Menta

dubversion Guest

lots of dirty garage (in the old sense) - thee headcoats, thee headcoatees etc. a halfway decent album of Unitone Hi Fi remixes and the excellent Gangsta Blues album by Tanya Stephens..

just completed a reggae tape for a friend, so this was i was listening to yesterday:

willie williams- ‘armegideon time (disco mix)’
    wayne jarrett- ‘magic in the air’
    the royals- ‘pick up the pieces’/ i-roy-'monkey fashion'
    horace andy- ‘wise man’/ version
    bunny & ricky- ‘freedom fighter’/ version
    hugh mundell- ‘rasta have the handle’ / version
    sugar minott- ‘jah jah rule’ / brigadier jerry- ‘what kind of world’
    echo minott- ‘what the hell’ / lady june- ‘tell you what police can do’
    risto benji-'gi mi di money' / pinchers-'no borrow gun'
    ninjaman & gregory isaacs- 'tun to the father' (incidently, gregory's picture on this lp looks like the an 'after' image from the recent anti-drugs 'heroin makes you really ugly and mashed up' photo campaign)
    a. jones & the ma-kaya crew-'jah bless i'
    jah manya-'i try'
    lyrical benjie-'ten plagues'
    hughie isachaar-'mass destruction'
    naph-tali-'one of these days'
    rod taylor-'don't leave me' / future trouble-'jah bless me'/ ranking joe-'one jah'
    ayo-'i love you'

Woke up to Wasteland live then various Italo things on the way to work ("Mr. Game"/"We Just"/"Tequila") then a (bad) mix of an Italo track I recently made followed by EPMD Classics and now it's Francois De Roubaix' "L'Homme Orchestre" sdtrk.

My landlord having sex. Again.

oooh, send a field recording of it to the Smithsonian.

and thanks to the miami bass thread I'm now re-checkin' my post by listening to Tipper Sound Off. I'm right. Dubsteppin it goes.

Junior Boys "Last Exit" 2004
    Elvis Presley "Elvis at Sun" 1955/2004
    Cry-Baby OST ("Please Mr Jailer") 1990
    Frisco Kid "Bashment Time" 2004?
    Bookshelf Riddim Version
    Dougla Riddim Version
    C4 Riddim Version
    Butta Riddim Version
    Macka Diamond "Try Wid Him" 2004
    The Birthday Party "Live 79-82" 1999
    Ghostface Killah "My Guitar" and other unreleased tracks from "Pretty Toney" 2004

Just call me varied.