what did you listen to today?

luka

oi kilroy! good on ya for listening to sam cooke. he's big like the eifell tower. i want to get that live at the harlem square club.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
on the way to work this morning...

dj rupture - musquito
sasha and ivy queen - dat sexy body (reggaeton mix)
brenda fassie - vulundlela
marvia providence - o lord hear my prayer
destra garcia - bonnie and clyde
hesham - habib k'ana

woke me up...

MolexRoots

switch!
On the way to -and at- college I shall be listening to:

A re-run of Seani B's show on 1Xtra from the homegrown weekend
Equinoxx rhythm (Blaxxx)
Bomb a Drop rhythm (357) "Bomb a drop! Damn you."
Whine yu Waistline rhythm (Big Jeans) Kartel... controversial eeh?

Backjob

Lil Wyte and 666 Mafia - "I sho will" (sounds like garage!)
Lil Boosie and Mr Magic - "I smoke, I drank" (original is so much better than the youngbloodz one)
Elephant Man - "Bun bad mind"
Think Twice - "ITWFM"
Juvenile - "Nolia clap"
Paul Wall, Mike Jones and Chamillionaire - "Still tippin'"
Trim - "Boogeyman"
Wu Tang Clan - "Mystery of chessboxin'"
Marvia Providence - "Hear my cry o lord" (tune of the year, no doubt)

originaldrum

from start till done
the beat fleet - ping pong
tram 11 - vrucina gradskog asfalta
tram 11 - covje ce ne ljuti se
nered - od dan as do sutra
marcello de facto

croatian hip hop

polystyle

the last Happy End studio Album . Harry Hosono's pre- YMO boys, enjoyed big rere last year in Japan

Hermeto Paschoal . "A Musica Livre" . Mile's 'crazy albino' , was in town for wkend a few bk .

the Christ CD . 1/2 of BOC , continuing the good work of previous ...

black rain "nanarchy" . Had to ck some tracks for Comp. "Yokoso betaMLoid. Corpocyte" , "Night Island : Birdswholiveinthetownofneon signs"

Kraftwerk 'live in Berlin . DL from Japanese website , great to hear live "Man Machine"

grimly fiendish

polystyle des said:
the Christ CD . 1/2 of BOC

really? i never knew that. explains a lot, though ;)

i love the album (and the EP that preceded it) but was bitterly, bitterly disappointed when i saw him live in glasgow (about a year back? downstairs at the 13th note, anyway). utterly devoid of atmosphere.

today, btw, i have been listening to the METAL compilation my dear friend made for me. right now it's killswitch engage. standout track, however, is converge's you fail me: just stunning. i remember them playing it at ATP earlier in the year and being blown away then too.

machine hugger

(())(())((+))(())(())
BaronZen. Some StonesThrow thing on a limited 12" ep. ??? Freestyle/HiNRG WTF.
Breakin records v.3 HMMMM.
Drexciya-grava 4. not too excited.
Japan-moroder remix of Life in Tokyo. Smooch on this one.

DJ_ADMIT_IT

I've been listening to WDISKO.net a lot lately. Some fine tunes and mixing... Two of the only things I've heard in the last few hours that I really recognized were Jimmy Bo Horne "Spank" and Freestyle "Don't Stop the Rock." Also the new MU 12" Paris Hilton / We love guys named Luke, and Abe Duque What Happened? Angola 60s/70s and Brazilian stuff, new DJ Nuts comp. from Wax Poetics, Baile Funk (older stuff, compilations from the Brazilian Beat folks in NYC) picking up more in the Angolan stuff now that I know a few words of portuguese. and some of the new Baile Funk, the Diplo mix CD and Funk Neurotico 23 & 24. and Dance Mania, of course.

withnail

An MP3 of a 2 hr show dedicated to Sydney Post Punk, from FBI Radio, September 21. Jolly good, informative and a wee bit nostalgic.

john eden

male pale and stale
So far I have listened to The Muppet Show album, which is a classic. ("Daddy, I don't want to watch Noddy - can I listen to some music instead?" Too right!)

And then "King Tubby's Firehouse Revolution" on the way into work - some nice Tubby digital biz post sleng teng.

redcrescent

john eden said:
And then "King Tubby's Firehouse Revolution" on the way into work - some nice Tubby digital biz post sleng teng.
That Pressure Sounds comp is ace! The Soundclash Dubplate Style ones are fantastic, too, and a great complement to the Firehouse Revolution one, with very little overlap. Brutally minimal, brilliant stuff - and Wackies gets all the credit. I wonder if there are any more releases of post-1985 Tubbys?
I still think it's an underrated phase of Tubbys' career, but one well worth looking into, and I say that on the strength of those 3 compilations alone.

john eden

male pale and stale
Yeah, I've not got those soundclash dubplate ones - keep meaning to pick them up...

I think things may have tailed off a bit quality wise, tho, I'll be very happy to be proved wrong. The only other comp I've seen around (on vinyl only) is a sort of "tribute to King Tubby" put out by Phantom and all that after he died. It's supposed to be a bit pony tho.

Yeah - the Pressure Sounds one is obviously what sent them down the road of their "Maximum Pressure" sublabel with stuff by Jammy and Techniques and so on. Only heard those 2, but they are wicked as well - highly recommended if you like the Firehouse one.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
i thought tubby dropped into a kind of 'overseeing' role after 'tempo'- messing w/ electronics and occassionally telling phantom et al what to do- even the stuff on the pressure sounds comp is 'produced at king tubby's' rather than 'produced by king tubby'

i'm still loving the 12 volume(!) 'revenge of king jammy's super power allstars' lps (only two more to get)- prime mid 80s stuff

john eden

male pale and stale
Yeah... Jammys!

I went mad for a load of the Live & Love 12" earlier this year. Only got one of that 12 volume set tho - mmm.

Chuck Turner! Yesmate!

polystyle

DJ _Admit_ it 'and Abe Duque "What Happened ?"

that track cracked me up ... it's great that someone did this kind of track.
Hope he does more ...
Cheers all

redcrescent

john eden said:
Yeah, I've not got those soundclash dubplate ones - keep meaning to pick them up...

I think things may have tailed off a bit quality wise, tho, I'll be very happy to be proved wrong. The only other comp I've seen around (on vinyl only) is a sort of "tribute to King Tubby" put out by Phantom and all that after he died. It's supposed to be a bit pony tho.

Yeah - the Pressure Sounds one is obviously what sent them down the road of their "Maximum Pressure" sublabel with stuff by Jammy and Techniques and so on. Only heard those 2, but they are wicked as well - highly recommended if you like the Firehouse one.
Thanks for the recommendations. I think only about 7 or 8 releases came out after Arleen Ruddock (Tubby's daughter) took over the studio after his death, of which the Phantom set might be one (the second volume of Soundclash Dubplate Style is another). I'd assume that quality control would have taken a back seat by then. I'll look out for it though.
I've heard wonders about that Techniques set and obviously that'll have to be poached somewhere along the line! I really rate that The Crowning of Prince Jammy set, some absolutely crackin' tracks on that. "Pablo in Moonlight City", the dub to Earl Zero's "Please Officer", alone is worth the price of admission, and don't get me raving about things like "Jehovia", which are just stellar.
Incidentially, has anyone heard David Rodigan's Dub Classics on the now-defunct Rewind Selecta label? My gateway into the depths of dub - ever short of funds, I had to pick up that or a Dubhead compilation, and picking Rodigan was definitely a fateful choice! I've been hooked since.
matt b said:
i thought tubby dropped into a kind of 'overseeing' role after 'tempo'- messing w/ electronics and occassionally telling phantom et al what to do- even the stuff on the pressure sounds comp is 'produced at king tubby's' rather than 'produced by king tubby'

i'm still loving the 12 volume(!) 'revenge of king jammy's super power allstars' lps (only two more to get)- prime mid 80s stuff
You're right, fixing radios was a more lucrative activity and a lot of the cuts were mixed by his engineers, so I wrote Tubbys' instead of Tubby's. A bit confusing maybe.
Oh man, I had no idea there were 12 instalments of the Super Power Allstars! Thanks!