what did you listen to today?

francesco

Minerva Estassi
Yes is the firt time i listened to Virgin Prunes, it's not like "a new form of beauty" was so easily available before this reissue, and i should say i'm amazed, like, all these (too much!) years of beeing a fan of post punk and Coil and various industrial esoterica and i never have a chance to listen to them! Sleep Fantasy Dream is incredible but so also Come to Daddy, all the (double) CD is amazing really. Now i wonder if to buy other reissues ("if i die i die" for example)... probably yes (and i have right now a "must buy" list that is putting me in total poverty....)
the alice coltrane "lord of lord" is another masterpiece but "friendly galaxy" and "universal consciousness" are probably superior.
still not know what to think of the Jah Wobble 3cd set. on the good news is was not to expensive at all, then he his my favorite bass player (and Keith Levine is my favorite guitar player...) for his work in PIL and ORB Blue Room (also in Primal Scream Screamadelica Higher DUB Symphony). I was maybe hoping more of things like the collaborations with Czukay and Liebezeit, but mostly is bland triphop, bland ambient dub (it is 90% track from the '90, indeed) and bland etnofusion... maybe it will grow on me.
The Indiepop 01 compilation from Rough Trade/Mute look gorgeus, i loved their previous Post Punk/Rock'n'Roll/country/electronica compilations: not perfect neither "definitive", but full of extraordinary tracks (and some dull ones...). This kind of compilation needs time to be unfolded., but i was shocked to hear the early single of My Bloody Valentine "paint a rainbow": fantastic, but the sound not like MBV you know, they sound so young and naive.

ciao da francesco.

grimly fiendish

yesterday ...

in the car, first thing, on a drive to a pier:

joy division: substance (mrs fiendish's choice)
johnny cash: the man comes around

back home:

kitchens of distinction: love is hell
the cure: faith

on the bus, going out:

depeche mode: construction time again

in the pub:

aidan moffat DJing an awesome set, including black sabbath, pil and !!!

in a club:

some seventies soul. some eighties synthpop. some other stuff that i've forgotten

today

nothing yet. uuurgh, my head

mms

sometimes
Metal boys feat china, tokyo airport, some of it is wicked.
the panacea to a light night jazz fusion session last night with a mate who is very into it all.

Mister Lex said:
Slimzee's bingo beats vol.3 mix, which is just the thing for Friday morning.
Also can't get Wonder feat. Kano's "What have you done?" out of my head. Top tune.

I still need to get this back from my friend. Ace.

Last 24 hours...

The Zodiac - Cosmic Sounds
Emil Richards - Stones
Hal Blaine - Psychedelic Percussion

(all on a late '60s acid freakout tip)

'James Brown Is Dead' by LA Style
'Mindcontroller' by 80 Aum
'Insomniak' by DJPC

(all early 90's euro Hardcore)

the only 'current' stuff being some Jimmy Edgar

but as for tomorrow... ?

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
Goldfrapp - Black Cherry
Saxon Studio International vs Ghetto Tone 1983: "If yah hear me and yu love it say FORWARD!!!" :cool:

mms

sometimes
greetings from la tim buckley, great but i'm suspicious of him very much.
mark van hoen , the warmth inside you, a good if not groundbreaking new cd from the guy behind locust
spit kode 9 and daddie g- ace angry dubstep with basic channelisms and refried lyrics from welcome to the terrordome
the au harem d'archimede ricardo villalobos, darker and more abstract second album from this guy, not sure what to make of it yet.
exotic moog, martin denny, a fantastic moog album, really great, puts me in a good mood.

B

be.jazz

mms said:
greetings from la tim buckley, great but i'm suspicious of him very much.
Why is that? I like "Greetings" a lot, as well as a more acoustic/folksy comp I have, but picked up some others recently that seem a bit iffy ("Goodbye and Hello").

mms

sometimes
be.jazz said:
Why is that? I like "Greetings" a lot, as well as a more acoustic/folksy comp I have, but picked up some others recently that seem a bit iffy ("Goodbye and Hello").

cos he's quite obviously a dick, an arrogant, mysogynist twart and there are elements of the record that ape blues singers and stereotypes of black men in such a way that he's almost playing a reverse minstrel if you see what i mean. I guess unconciously one of the things that i look for in music regardless of melodies and exciting music is empathy, would i get on with this person on any level, are they fascinating at all? On this record at least, other records he's less hateable but i find it hard to get over the fact that he is such an asshole.

nick.K

gabba survivor
listening to the radio for the past three days, (my hard-drives are dead) so it's been static, news from the US, classical, snatches of soul, dreary ol' rawk, but I've enjoyed all the raw garage.

sorted some speakers/amp now and I've listened to the Wu-Tang Hits album, diggin Janet Jackson - All Nite, anything by Juan Maclean, outkast, the latest mayer, and hours of john peel that I brought on disc. And not enough house...

C

captain easychord

simon silverdollar said:
an old logan sama tape where he plays the delicious track 'baby' where davinche makes like fennesz and wiley sounds so so sad.

that tune is wicked! do you like the second version with kano? also on that tip... the last track on the creeper tape. i don't know what it's called, but it's got that same choppy, crystalline glimmer. "all the time" i guess? those helicopter noises are off the hinges.

B

be.jazz

Listened to Fennesz's "Venice" yesterday... the first half, at least, is kind of new age for hipsters, IMO.

mms

sometimes
listening to the new villalobos cd again and i've got to say it is fantastic, i'm not a massive fan of minimaly techno but this is ace, really pulls you in, all shading and turning surfaces, funky and supple with the south american instrumentation of the first lp playing a very abstract part. It's lovely listening to it as the fireworks explode outside.

B

be.jazz

Disc 5 of "The Complete Sonny Rollins Riverside & Contemporary Recordings." Kind of going into Rollins in-depth for the first time, flabbergastation is the dominant feeling.

seahorsegenius

It's just me.
annie - anniemal
growing - the soul of the rainbow and the harmony of light
the avalanches - since i left you
yellow swans - bring the neon war home
animal collective - live on the breeze block

:p :mad: :rolleyes: :eek:

machine hugger

(())(())((+))(())(())
a DOWNLOADED mix by some guys called Nailer? good and it runs along the same path as Slimzees Bingo mix but a bit slower and a bit more sublo than upper jungle sped bpm. Tink I got it from UK Dance?? Ace.
Jammin
Menta
Mark One
Artwork
Horsepower...ya' get the point! Any info on these guys?

C93-Thunder Perfect Mind. Nuff said!

the neighbors stop hammering out nails to their new part of the house so I now get some good ole' quiet time.

Last edited:
D

dubversion

lots of dirty garage (in the old sense) - thee headcoats, thee headcoatees etc. a halfway decent album of Unitone Hi Fi remixes and the excellent Gangsta Blues album by Tanya Stephens..

matt b

Indexing all opinion
just completed a reggae tape for a friend, so this was i was listening to yesterday:

willie williams- ‘armegideon time (disco mix)’
wayne jarrett- ‘magic in the air’
the royals- ‘pick up the pieces’/ i-roy-'monkey fashion'
horace andy- ‘wise man’/ version
bunny & ricky- ‘freedom fighter’/ version
hugh mundell- ‘rasta have the handle’ / version
sugar minott- ‘jah jah rule’ / brigadier jerry- ‘what kind of world’
echo minott- ‘what the hell’ / lady june- ‘tell you what police can do’
risto benji-'gi mi di money' / pinchers-'no borrow gun'
ninjaman & gregory isaacs- 'tun to the father' (incidently, gregory's picture on this lp looks like the an 'after' image from the recent anti-drugs 'heroin makes you really ugly and mashed up' photo campaign)
a. jones & the ma-kaya crew-'jah bless i'
jah manya-'i try'
lyrical benjie-'ten plagues'
hughie isachaar-'mass destruction'
naph-tali-'one of these days'
rod taylor-'don't leave me' / future trouble-'jah bless me'/ ranking joe-'one jah'
ayo-'i love you'