what did you listen to today?

D

dubversion

once every year or so i rediscover my New Kingdom album Paradise Don't Come Cheap and remember all over again that it's a fucking classic.

Also listening to a lot of Surgeon mixes. Saw him at Bloc at the weekend and he blew me away - again!

leamas

Bohren Und Der Club Of Gore

Just been introduced to Bohren Und Der Club Of Gore. Formerly a German metal outfit who became heavily influenced by ambient electronica and Jazz. Boomkat stock them, so I'm sure I'm not the first to come accross them. I'm currently checking the Black Earth lp, their more recent one sounded less interesting. Can anyone else reccomend music in a similar vein? I was pointed towards them after a discussion about Angelo Badalamenti, who composes the scores for the majority of David Lynch's films, and wrote Faliing for Julee Cruise. If you're into his work then Bohren are well worth checking out, from what I've heard so far.

They also have a supremely dodgy name.

Just been introduced to Bohren Und Der Club Of Gore.

Great band, if you ever have the chance to see them live, go. They play in pitch black darkness except for one very small light for every band member, and they have these ridiculous announcements between songs like (delivered with a deep and grave voice) "The next song is about the night... and the wolf. It's called Night Wolf." Fun stuff.

DJ PIMP

Great band, if you ever have the chance to see them live, go. They play in pitch black darkness except for one very small light for every band member, and they have these ridiculous announcements between songs like (delivered with a deep and grave voice) "The next song is about the night... and the wolf. It's called Night Wolf." Fun stuff.
Thats so great, exactly as I pictured them live.

zhao

there are no accidents
Which label? Smithsonian Folkways? Just curious, thanks.

yes Smithsonian Folkways. you know these recent issues, yes? some of it sounds like Mongolian or Tuvian. some of it sounds a little Arabic. mostly it just sound good.

zhao

there are no accidents
today is Jimmy Giuffre day. at home getting ready, on the way to work, here at work. I've thus far listened to 4 or 5 of his albums as leader, with collaborators like Andre Jaume, Paul Bley, Steve Swallow, etc.

it is only 3 PM so i figure i can fit at least another 4 albums in.

have also just been turned on to Lee Konitz and Warne Marsh. they will each need their own days, if not weeks.

never knew there was so much amazing music made by white jazz musicians in the 60s and 70s. (thought Steve Lacy was a freak accident)

luka

an ipod playlist i made for a job i was doing in a meat pie shop in sydney many years ago. the song playing now is eddie gale the rain soon it will finish and another tune will come on

luka

Poisonous Dart
Poisonous Dart is offline Lone Swordsman

Default Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
Kahyan Kalhor & Ali Akbar Moradi - In the Mirror of the Sky -- amazing

Haydn - The Piano Sonatas 12 disc collection -- awesome

Cecil Lytle - Words for a Hymn to the Sun/The Complete Piano Music of G.I. Gurdjieff and Th. De Hartmann, Vol. 3 -- amazing

Sleep Archive - Hospital Tracks -- sound like techno pan sonic, nice

Nas - Hiphop is Dead -- (sure is! this pretty much sucks not even sabbath-sample or a song called "black republican" can save it don't waste your time)
I'm not trying to start anything, but judging by your first three selections^ do YOU think you're the person to say that Nas' album sucks or that hip hop is "dead"? Stick to what you know...PLEASE. One.

I've never listened to primal scream. they're this background thing always there, that sun painted on a red background. Brought up all the time, but i dont know one song

DLaurent

Copland - The Tender Land suite. An American Pastoral. Wide open harmonies. Lynch should direct it.

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
I've never listened to primal scream. they're this background thing always there, that sun painted on a red background. Brought up all the time, but i dont know one song
No, I hadn't listened to them before either. But I just read a post by Jonny Zchivago where he calls this "the worst album of all time", so...

It's one of the most boring albums I've ever heard. It has nothing at all to commend it. But equally the only thing to take offence at is its total and utter blandness. It is *so* bland. Serial killer level bland. Jeezuz.

😐 😐 😐 😐 😐 😐 😐