Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Listening to A Clockwork Orange

Default Listening to A Clockwork Orange

on audiobook, read by Tom Hollander, is a fucking religious experience. I mean, when I trip on Lysergic now I think in NADSAT. And women love it, just drives them bonkers. I can't say enough. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but for the, you know, unconverted, you can experience it yourself for free on YouTube: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Z8cwLJlvmd4

On a related but weirdly unrelated note, if anyone's aware of any song lyrics written in NADSAT - other than David Bowie's "Girl Loves Me" - I'd love to hear about it. I'm sort of aware but sort of afraid to talk about it.

Oh and long time no see Dissensus! You don't remember me I'm sure but to catch you up to speed, I've been sort of mute and adrift and this is the first time I've attempted or even wanted to communicate with the outside world since the last time we spoke, which was around mid-2009.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Agent Nucleus For This Useful Post:

hellow again bratty.plug your mozg into the dematerialisation thread we are going to transcend this prison cell planet through the power of conecptual-banter. we've discovered a new technique.

Alright AN, long time no see. What's up? First I'd like to apologise on luka's behalf for his hijacking your first post in nine years to try and get someone else's attention.

I've always loved A Clockwork Orange and can see how it would work particularly well as an audiobook. I dig invented languages in literature but there's something particularly interesting in languages that aren't completely made up but are based on real language, like Nadsat or all the Arabic-based (and Persian, Hebrew, Turkish...) words in Dune. Finnegans Wake is almost a language in its own right, a sort of hyper-mutated English. Newspeak I guess is the exact opposite - a stunted English deliberately stripped of all ambiguity and nuance. Can't think of any others right but there must be loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nucleus View Post
    And women love it, just drives them bonkers.
    Lol, are you talking about actually listening to an audiobook while doing a malenky bit of the old in-out with a devotchka, or have I misread you here?
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Tea For This Useful Post:

bratty means brother in NASDAT, it's not a misspelling of Barty.

Mr Tea's gone rogue! "since he never apologises himself, i would like to apologise on behalf of luka... for something he didn't do"

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    bratty means brother in NASDAT, it's not a misspelling of Barty.
    Well given Barty's sudden appearance in that thread I did think you were just shouting at him. I assumed you two had got to the stage of pet names. Ha, sorry. As you were.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Well given Barty's sudden appearance in that thread I did think you were just shouting at him. I assumed you two had got to the stage of pet names. Ha, sorry. As you were.
    easy mistake to make. i should have kept it simple and said 'droog'

I've always been a malenky bit rogue, tbf.

A few too many knives in my moloko tonight, or screens in my gulliver, or let's face it MBB and LCK doing the ultraviolence for all the world to viddy on MY ALIEN MIND SCREEN to really feel the embrace of an old haunt but believe me if I could, I would. It is appreciated.

Sorry to keep circling back to/around this but if it rings any bells PM me or something, any of it: 1) HYPNO-POP.... very evil, very cute, circular kind of mechanical loops that put you in a trance 2) LOLLY-GAGGING ON A MILLYBOB or I don't know MILLYBOBBING ON A LOLLYPOP or 3) THOMAS C. (something)

Anyway, regarding invented languages etc, first Anthony Burgess wrote an excellent study of Joyce called ReJoyce, definitely worth checking out. And I cannot recommend Donald Theall enough (McLuhan's only protege, other than his son Eric) and specifically his book James Joyce's Techno-Poetics. It's all about the new language/consciousness/environments introduced by the digital, and ties it all in with Walter Benjamin and the radical modernists and the like.

Second, every invented language coincides with a type of consciousness. The language of the Wake requires a unique state of consciousness, and I guess every novelist or poet worth his salt you know has to rework and reinvent language to put you in a state of consciousness, or a frame (like a film frame), or in the simplest sense a medium that immerses the reader absolutely. We all have an internal monologue (I think, I assume...) and each one has its own internally-consistent language. I guess if there's one measure you could subject a writer to it would be: how deep and how convincingly can he/she pull you into its trance.

Which for me raises the question, what about coding? Isn't this a recently invented language? Are we in its consciousness, and if we are, how would it know, how would we know, and could we get out of its trance? Or would it just mean we're all broken. I wish I knew. I hope I never find out.

Anyway, back to American Psycho on YouTube, the part where he kills Jeanette or Christie or whoever the fuck. Is there a difference anymore? Not for me. I'm firmly in the Duchamp school of active indifference.

Oh and if I don't make it back (I want to, I'm going to fight my instincts and try like hell(, here's what I was up to:
    paramodern.blogspot.com
    Last edited by Agent Nucleus; 06-10-2018 at 04:19 AM. Reason: just lookin out for my boy Don, who just needs the props

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post

Lol, are you talking about actually listening to an audiobook while doing a malenky bit of the old in-out with a devotchka, or have I misread you here?

yeah but only in hyperspace. Don't know what else to say except Daisy Ridley's really into it :p uh some mean looks coming my way um Alicia Vikander is the best of all time, it's Alicia 1.a.A and Daisy 1.A.a ..... ah to hell with it I AM FUKTTTTT.

Nah they just into it. The gentlemen's goloss, the height of fashion, etc.

blog looks great. youve been barking up the same trees i have although my feeling is that the time is ripe and we can put away our fictional disguises and equivocations and come out in the open. it's our moment and there are prizes up for grabs.

we can just say it all openly now.

YESSSSSSS agree 1000%

What you call dematerialization I have been calling de-realization. I can't articulate it now because I'm just too tired and about to go for my morning jog but simply put: we used to think space and time were absolute, the same everywhere. This was an assumption built into our perception of reality, and we were wrong. I think we do the same thing with our notion of existence or reality, in the sense we think something either ABSOLUTELY exists or ABSOLUTELY does not exist. To be or not to be. This assumption is built into language, into the core of logic itself, and I don't think this is an accident. This assumption is also incorrect. Which leads to the idea that something's existence can be variable, ie something can 30% exist or 90% exist, etc. This concept is near impossible to comprehend or articulate, because again it violates the core of logic and language itself (the "to be" verb/concept), but quantum mechanics, especially the Schrodinger wave equations, led us to this inevitable conclusion. Something's reality or existence is a variable quantity.

Which leads to the real insight, the important takeaway: reality is getting less real, it is going from 90% to 80% or whatever, while SIMULATION is getting more real. That's what I mean by de-realization and I bet that's close to what you mean by dematerialization.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Agent Nucleus For This Useful Post:

when you're back in command of it all and feel able to hold it there and articulate it
    again come back and help me out here. you've got a hold of something.

what are your thoughts on this AN? what it symbolises and represents and what it is symptomatic of.
    https://twitter.com/Post_N_Delete/st...40558496845824

18. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Well I just posted a reply on the thread. The sickest thing I could come up with (something like "I bet his willpower and intelligence tastes sweet, maybe a little buttery. I would eat him alive"). Currently awaiting the wave of Twitter outrage that will never arrive for some reason

Oh and I called everyone in the thread cunts. I bet I get away with it.