films you've seen recently and would NOT recommend

BareBones

wheezy
Maybe not the perfect word, no. I was referring to the ridiculous red (?) neon light in an underground subway, and the general feeling of sub-Lynchian unreality (badly acted, too). To me it fetishised the act rather than making anyone confront voyeurism.

I don't believe in the whole 'makes you confront your own voyeurism' excuse line, anyways. (I don't think you do either, from the tone of what you said)

ha, no i don't really, it's a bit of a cop out i think - but i reckon the director probably believes it, and that that was what he was trying to do, even if it was all cackhanded. funny that you said he was going for lynchian unreality, cos the vibe that i got was that he was trying to make it ultra-realistic. but whatever - we're both agreed it's a bad film.

STN

sou'wester
All my own fault obviously, but I watched Nick Love's adaptation of The Firm and it was absolute ballbags.

Surprisingly unglamorous fight scenes though, actually quite nasty, rather than a load of people strutting round the corner in slow motion coupled with loads of tedious shots of someone's shitty adidas plimsole (though there was plenty of wearisome trainer-worship at other points in the film).

martin

----
Oh right, wasn't sure if they'd just used the same name. I think I'd rather watch 10 hours worth of childbirth footage than another film about football hooligans. Or just football - "The Damned Utd" was pointless.

STN

sou'wester
Well, as you know it's my guilty pleasure, which it may have cured me of.

YEEEEEETIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

STN

sou'wester
I have done the very same thing. It's brilliant "primal scream on the soundtrack there, get on top of that! Love iiiiit"

BareBones

wheezy
can't remember any actual quotes now but isn't there a bit where he talks about having done a load of pills on set that day or something? god i need to watch it again. and i remember some of things he says about the women in the film (isn't there an old lady in it, and he talks about fucking her or something?) are astounding. the only person i've seen recently who comes close to danny dyer in terms of unintentional hilarity is bangs:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I kinda like that Bangs track! It's a bit sinogrimey, it's hard to work out whether he meant it to be that weird tone or whether he's just tone deaf though. Which is quite nice.

BareBones

wheezy
it's more the matter-of-fact lyrics that make me laugh: "hey shorty where you at / where you going / can i see you later / cos i can't see you / busy right now"

that, and the shot of him superimposed against a giant lamborghini

polystyle

2012 ...

Glad I didn't pay to see it in theatre.
Corny, silly, Cusack sleepwalked through it , grand scenes of ' the world as we know it ending',
rich people get to go in 'arks' .
Just say "no" .

polystyle

all true, but i enjoyed this part:

I did too, but some were pretty quick;
Cali shelf sliding into the Pacific was nearly missed by the kids on the plane after take off,
5 seconds of screen time !

Waves breaking over the Himal were big, but having a freaking 'Ark' cut loose and bobbing around was pretty aimless - 'look out for Mt. Everest' !

Anyway !

Brother Randy Hickey

formerly Dubversion
I wouldn't bother with Kick Ass (and i wonder why I did - let's blame lack of adult choice at cinemas during school holidays and move on).

Promising start and mildly entertaining final 20 minutes (some genuinely creative violence, if you like that sort of thing) but the middle, what, 80 minutes was pretty fucking dull.. Very lazy use of music, too - dropping over-used soundtrack clichés in isn't "referential", it's just cheating.

alo

The Box. Currently deciding which of either that or Burn After Reading is my new favourite worst film ever.
It can't be arsed to give you anything back for your time at all. It's by the guy that did Donnie Darko, and
using a one trick pony formula, the whimsical approach to non-story telling can't be explained away as the charming hormonal seesawing of an interesting teenager trying to make sense of the world to Joy Division. Here, it is a lazy, bullshit cop out when what the audience wanted is a resolved conspiracy of horror.
I think there was supposed to be some religeous element to it... Does anyone else think this whole, "oh yeah, it's cos we're in purgatory" gimickry is the new "oh it was just a dream"?? (Lost etc)

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Does anyone else think this whole, "oh yeah, it's cos we're in purgatory" gimickry is the new "oh it was just a dream"?? (Lost etc)"
Probably is but it's not exactly new - pretty sure that's the resolution in The Third Policman (for one).